Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a Motive brake bleeder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Got a Motive brake bleeder?

If you are using a Motive brake bleeder pressure tank and putting fluid in the tank, you should inspect your tubing occasionally. I had a major tubing failure this week while bleeding the brakes. The tubing ruptured at 15 psi and dumped about 1-1/2 liters of fluid on the floor. Apparently, the tubing had degraded due to the fluid. Fortunately, none of the brake fluid got on the paint!

Jim
Old 06-12-2012, 09:40 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Never have put fluid in the bottle?? Never could figure out how to not make a mess by putting the fluid in the bottle. I only use it to pressurize the system and only put fluid in the master cylinder. That way everything stays clean and you only use the amount of fluid you need. JD
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I take the old out of the master and add new. I then use the motive to bleed. One less thing to clean.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:22 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

That seems like the best way to do it; just use the Motive to pressurize the system. Actually, I don't use the motive pressure tank, I have a KD bleeder system (bladder system) and I was only using the Motive master cylinder adapter and tubing to attach to the KD system since the KD adapters are expensive and cumbersome.

I just wanted to give a warning to anyone that actually puts brake fluid into the Motive bleeder that the tubing will degrade over time. This would have been a disaster if brake fluid had got all over the exterior paint.

Jim
Old 06-13-2012, 01:34 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried putting the fluid in there the first time I used it and created a fantastic mess. Now I just use it like everyone else above and just pressurize to 15psi and then go bleed the backs. Top off the MC reservoir with fluid, re-pressurize and do the fronts. Works just fine that way.

Jay
Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 AM
JimsCorvettes
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Never have put fluid in the bottle?? Never could figure out how to not make a mess by putting the fluid in the bottle. I only use it to pressurize the system and only put fluid in the master cylinder. That way everything stays clean and you only use the amount of fluid you need. JD
This is how I do it.

I also use a flavor injector (metal one I bought at Bed Bath & Beyond) to remove the old fluid from the master cylinder, then refill with new. Next, use the Motive power bleeder to pressurize the system.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I tried putting the fluid in there the first time I used it and created a fantastic mess. Now I just use it like everyone else above and just pressurize to 15psi and then go bleed the backs. Top off the MC reservoir with fluid, re-pressurize and do the fronts. Works just fine that way.

Jay
If I could get a "mulligan" that's also what I would do.

Let's not turn this into a brake bleeding thread; that's been beat to death already. The message is that brake fluid degrades the tubing that is used for the Motive bleeder and a failure could be disastrous.

Jim
Old 06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

What they said... fill master, use Motiv to pressurize, then bleed. Add fluid as necessary. Best tool in my garage No more, "Honey!!! Come out here and help me bleed the brakes!"
Old 06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I blew a hose full of fluid once & never put any in the bottle again. That stuff blows a long way at 10-15 psi.

Ugh.

I don't understand why Motive uses a hose material that degrades when it comes in contact with the fluid it is specifically designed to contain.

Help me understand that.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Cool. I was never a fan of self bleeder utensils, and this post will keep me doing the pedal pump method. Zero failures that way.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

You're crazy... Pedal pump takes two people. Speed-Bleeders wear out and the hose always falls off the bleed screw w/o anyone to hold it.

The motive is by far the best tool in my garage as far as making something that was a chore into a simple task. Just use the Motive as a pressure source and be smart enough to add fluid as needed.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by travisnd
You're crazy... Pedal pump takes two people. Speed-Bleeders wear out and the hose always falls off the bleed screw w/o anyone to hold it.

The motive is by far the best tool in my garage as far as making something that was a chore into a simple task. Just use the Motive as a pressure source and be smart enough to add fluid as needed.

Once you figure it out not to fill the bottle, it rocks. Full bleed in about 5 min without getting the wife in a bad mood. "What do you mean, you need to bleed the brakes AGAIN?"

Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

It may take longer, but I know it is done right every time. More peace of mind when I wait till the last second to hit the pedal on track.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Stubborn... seriously. I did it the "old fashioned" way for years. Finally got a Motive 2 years ago. I kicked myself for not getting one years before. There's no advantage to pumping the pedal.

1. Fill up master

2. Attach motive and pump up to 15 psi

3. Bleed each corner simply by cracking the bleeder and letting the pressure do the work.

4. Check fluid level in master and pump up as needed.

5. Brakes bled in no time all by yourself. No getting in/out of the car, no mess, no nothing.

The only way to screw anything up is to let the master reservoir run dry and push air into the system.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stubborn... seriously. I did it the "old fashioned" way for years. Finally got a Motive 2 years ago. I kicked myself for not getting one years before. There's no advantage to pumping the pedal.

1. Fill up master

2. Attach motive and pump up to 15 psi

3. Bleed each corner simply by cracking the bleeder and letting the pressure do the work.

4. Check fluid level in master and pump up as needed.

5. Brakes bled in no time all by yourself. No getting in/out of the car, no mess, no nothing.

The only way to screw anything up is to let the master reservoir run dry and push air into the system.
OK. I'm convinced. Going to buy one now.
The following users liked this post:
NiteriderFRC (02-10-2016)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

love mine

Get notified of new replies

To Got a Motive brake bleeder?

Old 06-13-2012, 11:47 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an FYI I've had a phoenix systems bleeder for years, I always blast a little brake cleaner through the lines when I'm done with it. DOT 3/4 eats everything.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:06 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by rayk
OK. I'm convinced. Going to buy one now.
Make sure you get the GM adapter, there are quite a few different adapters available. The "universal" is not that good.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by froggy47
Make sure you get the GM adapter, there are quite a few different adapters available. The "universal" is not that good.

Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: Got a Motive brake bleeder?