Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you know about shop presses come in.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:11 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default If you know about shop presses come in.

I need to press some rear LCA poly bushings in (one piece) and I think I need a press for these. I did the rest of then (split bushings) with a vice and a threaded rod tool I made with no problems, but these one piece appear to pose more of a challenge.

I would also like a press that I can do ball joints with.

I don't think I need a lot of "ton" press, but the throat & working range need to be right for my task.

Anyone got a good one that'll work. I don't mind HF if it gets the job done.

Do any of these come with dies/rigs or do you have to fab all that yourself?

Give me a link if you can.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought one of the small 12 ton shop presses from Norther Tool and it's pretty much the same as the HF one. I came with a pair of steel plates with various notches on 3 of the sides that helped me press out the LCA bushings. Took a bit of time to get things setup correctly but I got all the bushings out (except the front UCA) using the press.

As for the ball joints, I tried and got one about 1/3 of the way out before things got too squirrely. I did a search and found you really needed a specified ball joint removal/insertion tool. I bought new LCA ball joints from Pfadt and there's a specific kit from Summit Racing one can use to remove and install these ball joints. Member C6Raptor has a couple posts listing the part number and he sent me some pictures of the setup. I ordered mine and I'm waiting for it to be delivered.

Oh, BTW, thanks for a couple of the YouTube vids you posted up. I spent Sunday morning pulling the entire suspension off my C5Z track car to do some upgrades and your vids on removing the knuckles and spindles helped a lot.

Jay
Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

This may not help with the press!! But if you want to put in control arm bushings?? this is the solution!! It works great and costs less than $10.00 and you don't need the 3/4" rod. the 5/8" will work just fine. I did all of mine in 20 minutes and no fear of them flying around the place. Try this before you spend money on a press. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-solution.html JD
Note: for ball joints, you get all of the tools you need from Advance Auto for free!! They will loan them to you and they work great with a good impact gun. I can get you the tool # if you need it. I replaced all of my lower ball joints, pressed the old ones out and the new ones in with there tool and it worked great. I almost bought a press until a friend told me about the free tools at the Auto stores. Buy the way if you do buy a press, you can get any of the dies and bushing for pressing the ball joints in and out from the Auto stores.

Last edited by JDIllon; 06-19-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I just bought one of the small 12 ton shop presses from Norther Tool and it's pretty much the same as the HF one. I came with a pair of steel plates with various notches on 3 of the sides that helped me press out the LCA bushings. Took a bit of time to get things setup correctly but I got all the bushings out (except the front UCA) using the press.

As for the ball joints, I tried and got one about 1/3 of the way out before things got too squirrely. I did a search and found you really needed a specified ball joint removal/insertion tool. I bought new LCA ball joints from Pfadt and there's a specific kit from Summit Racing one can use to remove and install these ball joints. Member C6Raptor has a couple posts listing the part number and he sent me some pictures of the setup. I ordered mine and I'm waiting for it to be delivered.

Oh, BTW, thanks for a couple of the YouTube vids you posted up. I spent Sunday morning pulling the entire suspension off my C5Z track car to do some upgrades and your vids on removing the knuckles and spindles helped a lot.

Jay
Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

20 ton harbor freight press. Do not know what I did without it.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 20 ton air over hydraulic and it is great. I did all my control arm bushings with it. If you search around someone designed a tool to use with the press to remove the bushings. I used the idea and welded up my own. I can sell you the one I have if you have any interest. You still need some sort of cup/tube to place below the control arm to allow the bushings to press out. The tool simply allows the control arm to be fit in the press and work around the opposite end of the a-arm. Next time I need one I can just build another.
As far as the presses go a high quality american unit will be about 10 times (I'm not joking) more expensive than an import. I bought my import from a guy on craigs list that sells them around here. I'm sure there is someone in your area doing the same. It is decent (actually excellent for the price of about $300), but typical import quality. Someday I'll move into a dake, but for the few times I have used, compared to other tools, it I just couldn't justify the cost. Even as much as I hate cheap chinese tools.
The air over hydraulic feature is really nice. Adding a foot pedal would make it perfect to free up both hands. It's always a challenge holding and/or aligning parts in a shop press. Keep in mind that you often have to get creative and usually build custom fixtures to press things.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trackboss
I have a 20 ton air over hydraulic and it is great. I did all my control arm bushings with it. If you search around someone designed a tool to use with the press to remove the bushings. I used the idea and welded up my own. I can sell you the one I have if you have any interest. You still need some sort of cup/tube to place below the control arm to allow the bushings to press out. The tool simply allows the control arm to be fit in the press and work around the opposite end of the a-arm. Next time I need one I can just build another.
As far as the presses go a high quality american unit will be about 10 times (I'm not joking) more expensive than an import. I bought my import from a guy on craigs list that sells them around here. I'm sure there is someone in your area doing the same. It is decent (actually excellent for the price of about $300), but typical import quality. Someday I'll move into a dake, but for the few times I have used, compared to other tools, it I just couldn't justify the cost. Even as much as I hate cheap chinese tools.
The air over hydraulic feature is really nice. Adding a foot pedal would make it perfect to free up both hands. It's always a challenge holding and/or aligning parts in a shop press. Keep in mind that you often have to get creative and usually build custom fixtures to press things.
sadly my HD 20 ton pure hydraulic was less then $100 on sale. Fixtures to position parts are great also. I have a selection of cups, pipes, rods, etc. I use to press items in and out.

Get notified of new replies

To If you know about shop presses come in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If you know about shop presses come in.