Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Vacuum Cannister or New Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 10:31 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Secondary Vacuum Cannister or New Cam?

So basically I got a cam that is too big for the engine to pull a decent vacuum. Then when I do repeated braking the car doesn't have time to fill back up the brake booster and I end up with little assistance. Are there any nice vacuum booster assists or should I just go with a new cam? I am running cats, stock exhaust 426ci and I think the cam is 248 252 @ 114 ish.

Michael B
Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On my first race car I had something similar happen until I converted it to manual brakes. The band aid method was to let off the throttle coming into the corners hard and wait just a brief moment before applying brakes to allow some vacuum to build. You really want to be either on the throttle or on the brakes, both hard, when racing, but it didn't kill my lap times.
In your case I'd probably plumb an additional vacuum canister. If you have room for a tubular aluminum piece (behind driver fender is a good spot) I can make you one.

Quick Reply: Secondary Vacuum Cannister or New Cam?