Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

60's/70's road racing; Tucson airfield, Arizona racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 AM
ifitgoesfast
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Default 60's/70's road racing; Tucson airfield, Arizona racing?

I'm hoping someone here is familiar with road racing at the Tucson airfield race track (Guldstrand raced here) back in the 1960's and 1970's, or any road racing in Arizona back then. I think the Phoenix International Raceway also held road racing back then.

Reason I'm asking is to research my 1964 Corvette roadster L76 4 spd 3.70 posi that raced back then around Tucson, AZ. Through title history, it looks like the car spent it's whole life in Tucson until the 80's when the guy I bought it from brought it to Texas. At one point, it had a 4 point roll bar (cut off). Also, it has holes cut out of the front for an air dam/spoiler once bolted, numerous cut outs in tub for access to shifter, drive shaft u-joint, etc. The side louvers are cut out for functional air flow. It had side pipes at one point (welds, small bolt holes still present). And there are two holes drilled out of the front bumpers on the top surface close to center which looks to have held rally lights at one point (bolt and nut still attached loose without lights).

I've written to one of the owners who owned it 1968-78, but no response. So maybe someone here might have raced, or is familiar with these race tracks back then could shed some light on the history in general.

Last edited by ifitgoesfast; 08-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 60's/70's road racing; Tucson airfield, Arizona racing?