Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Autocross experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM
04MSZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Autocross experience

At the recommendation of a friend who has been doing this for 40 years, I decided to take my C5 FRC out and I had a blast. I just had Nitto NT-05's installed all around (275's up front and 295's in the rear), and I'm very impressed with how these tires hold for being street tires. It's surprising how much power a stock C5 has...I shifted into 2nd before the first turn and left it in 2nd throughout the entire course and it definitely allowed me to exit the corners and accelerate quickly out of them. Inducing oversteer seemed to be a huge problem so, maybe I need to focus on throttle control next time. I completed 4 runs total, and got better each time (1st run - 39.803, 2nd run - 38.472, 3rd run - 37.641, 4th run - 36.728). All in all, it was a great experience and I'm ready to hit the next event.

Last edited by 04MSZ06; 06-23-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Definitely on my list to do this year...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

And if you hit an open track day you'll forget all about auto-x. Instead of 5 minutes of wheel time you'll get a couple hours.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:13 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
And if you hit an open track day you'll forget all about auto-x. Instead of 5 minutes of wheel time you'll get a couple hours.
Way to put the car to the paces, and nice progress on your successive runs. I started out in auto-x and also put a set of NT-05's on Z06 rims on my FRC - 3 years later it's now a gutted/caged dedicated track car. Try out a track day when you have a chance - you'll probably dig flat out in 4th gear!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 00BlkVette
I decided to take my C5 FRC out and I had a blast.
Way to go.

Instead of 5 minutes of wheel time you'll get a couple hours.
I guess I never felt the need for more seat time. The intensity that autocross gives you, I do feel the need for. Check out the video.
https://vimeo.com/10223189

Originally Posted by darguy
it's now a gutted/caged dedicated track car.

I did the same thing, but it's a dedicated autocross car. Minus the cage.

Steve A.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Don't get me wrong, autocross is fun, but the lack of seat time makes it a total tease. If I could set up a course full of cones and run it all day, I'd have a good time. The pucker factor of braking down from triple digits cannot be rivaled by autocross. Not trying to pit them against each other, but if you like autocross you'll likely love a track day.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:25 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you'll enjoy an open track day, but there is a huge difference between running laps and competing. Unless your going to cage the car, the autocross allows you to compete, and measure yourself as a driver against like cars.

Basic rule of autocross, if you feel your car is slower than your competitors, have a champion with experience in your type take a 10/10's run in your car, then you do the same. The difference in your times is pure driver.

track days are great, no question. All motorsports are expensive. Autocross a lot less expensvie, offer the possibility of trophies and championships, and competiton at the pro and national level.

I personally love autocross.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:29 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Way to go.

I guess I never felt the need for more seat time. The intensity that autocross gives you, I do feel the need for. Check out the video.
https://vimeo.com/10223189

I did the same thing, but it's a dedicated autocross car. Minus the cage.

Steve A.
In the interest of full disclosure Steve cut the cage out of his car, and he is fast in anything he drives. In the region we compete in championships have come down to less than .5 sec for the year. Yep I said for the year. The intensity is a high. You not only battle the weather, and surface, but every event the course in new, you have to learn it better than your competitors and get it more right than they do.

Start by competing in novice if your region has a novice class. Use the instructors. Have fun. By the way out here in Cali a full season will eat a set of street tires so budget appropriately.

Get notified of new replies

To First Autocross experience

Quick Reply: First Autocross experience