Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACP one-piece or detachable splitter front fascia

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACP one-piece or detachable splitter front fascia

Looking for some advice and perhaps some interesting stories about prior experience.

Attempting to choose between the ACP one-piece front fascia or the one with the detachable splitter. Car is a C5 being built for HPDE only (Thunderhill, Sonoma, Laguna, etc) and maybe some rare street driving. Planning on a 3.5" front ride height, changed to front breather, and tunneled undertray mounted to frame and new tubed front.

Realistically how much value is the detachable splitter for HPDE?

At least one on other threads suggested the one-piece for the increased strength.

Sounds like any off track situation which is going to take out the splitter is also going to cause problems to at least the front fascia or undertray. Or are my assumptions wrong here, people are often only replacing the splitter? How often are people replacing the splitter in practice?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I have a acp overlay that can be taken off with 1/4 turn locks and undertray supports, works out pretty good so far. I modified it a bit to make it a front breather. The top of the open section is now a ramp air, working on a vented hood now. Still a street legal car, actually seem to get along ok driving it around just have to be careful. The whole thing comes off in three minutes.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I have been through this; here is a thread I put together. As far as the overlay splitter that is an option you can do if you want to reuse your current front fascia. I have had one off with my setup but just out through the grass. Others here have had more significant damage off track and had to replace the splitter, fascia and all. Just depends on what you hit. Mine is not removeable and currently is about 3 1/2 inches from the splitter to the ground, requires race ramps and a low angle to load in the trailer. Good luck

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...o-project.html
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Thanks for the link, somehow I missed your thread. Is your setup based on,

C5/A0022/ext-CF (4" extended tunneled undertray) or C5/A0022/INSERT-CF (regular tunneled undertray)

C5/A0003-FG 4" (splitter)

C5/A0001-FG (one-piece fascia) or C5/A0002-FG* (detachable splitter fascia)

I haven't been able to get a good answer back from Kerry yet, as to what difference between the parts are.

Originally Posted by BERETTA
I have been through this; here is a thread I put together. As far as the overlay splitter that is an option you can do if you want to reuse your current front fascia. I have had one off with my setup but just out through the grass. Others here have had more significant damage off track and had to replace the splitter, fascia and all. Just depends on what you hit. Mine is not removeable and currently is about 3 1/2 inches from the splitter to the ground, requires race ramps and a low angle to load in the trailer. Good luck

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...o-project.html
Old 06-25-2012, 07:23 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I've been running the ACP 2 piece on C5 Z06 for several years, this is strictly a track car with less than 3" of clearance. With the undertray my setup is not something that comes off easily. It's also a CF front bumper. Great setup, and makes a huge difference in handling, along with the ACP CF vented hood and wing.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothy Lottes
Thanks for the link, somehow I missed your thread. Is your setup based on,

C5/A0022/ext-CF (4" extended tunneled undertray) or C5/A0022/INSERT-CF (regular tunneled undertray)

C5/A0001-FG (one-piece fascia) or C5/A0002-FG* (detachable splitter fascia)

I haven't been able to get a good answer back from Kerry yet, as to what difference between the parts are.

Here is some more info that I e-mailed to a good friend a while back. This should answer these and other questions. If you need anything else let me know.

I purchased all of the aero parts from ACP products- Kerry Hitt, he is a little difficult to get a hold of sometimes but his personal cell number is 717-574-3596. I have spoken with him 2 or 3 times on the phone, he does have an extensive back ground with aero on the C5, and helped GM with the development in the wind tunnel. According to him the key to the splitter is the undertray, when they were developing the pieces for the C5, It did not become a winning combination until they took the car to Laguna that is when they first had the undertray on the car (thus the name Laguna undertray). He only sells the undertray in Carbon fiber because he said they tried one in fiberglass and it would literally deform due to the undertray trying to be sucked to the ground! I went with the 4 inch splitter that is detachable from the front fascia, this hopefully will prevent total destruction of the fascia in the event of an off track excursion. I chose the fiberglass version C5/A0003FG4" it is called a spoiler on his site the good thing is this piece is $137.00, it weighs 5lbs. The front fascia one piece- I went with FG, it is part # C5/A0001-FG $1,034.00 it weighs 14 lbs. Someone mentioned they might be cheaper through ecklers but I am not sure. I checked it out one time and beware the pricing is tricky they are priced seperately and I think the splitter part is almost as much as the front fascia. Also I think the eckler unit has the openings for the parking lights and the grilles cut out but I am not for sure. The ACP piece has the parking lights, and the grille openings already filled in just like we need it. The only opening in the ACP is for the brake cooling ducts which we need, and BTW they are slightly larger than the stock openings, so the factory brake duct hoses are too small. They will fit in the inside and work, but I purchased some rectangular pieces and attached them on to the back sides. All of that being said I think it is best to go with Kerry's stuff all the way. The undertray is part #C5/A0022/extCF as mentioned earlier it is only available in Carbon and weighs 12 lbs, sadly it is $1,295.00.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you go for off road excursions it is cheaper to have the two pieces separate. It is easier to repair. The CF under-tray is worth the money and tough as a SOB! It all performs excellently. FOR HPDE get CF tray and the rest in glass unless money is no object. Glass is easier to repair. Racing for real get it all in CF and one piece it is lighter.

I was in a rush and started my car form the ground leaning into the car and depressing the clutch. Popped my hand off the pedal and the car did a burnout on the trailer and it went into tire rack made from 2 4" steel upright channels. My car revs up a bit due to tune which is old and could be tune out now. So it took off and left 3 foot rubber marks on the trailer. CF tray had some but not much damage. Splitter was not worth fixing and nose was OK.

Kerry is great guy.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-25-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Timothy Lottes
Advanced

Some updated info just in case someone else ends up asking the same questions (I just got everything on order),

C5/A0022/ext-CF (4" extended tunneled undertray)
C5/A0002-FG* (detachable splitter fascia)

Is the part combination required for the 4" extended splitter (must go with the detachable setup). The one-piece fascia only includes a 2" splitter.

Get notified of new replies

To ACP one-piece or detachable splitter front fascia

Quick Reply: ACP one-piece or detachable splitter front fascia