Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM brake ducts good for C5 corvettes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default GM brake ducts good for C5 corvettes?

I notice that GM offers a brake duct for C6 cars part # 15829067 for the Left side. Has anyone used this on a C5Z ? Am I better just to rig up something myself from the front air dam?

Personally I find the large OE duct that just dumps air into the wheel well is pretty useless.

I have installed the Quantum ducts but then don't seal into the Z06 duct well and the tubing is too big and gets damaged by any oversize tires. ( I do like the plates that seal the airflow to the hub area of the rotor.)
Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Lot of people have used the C6 Duct extension cut and added to the C5's ducts to vent our brakes. The photo shows about where to cut each to make them mate together.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the pics.

It looks like you left the stock duct in place and just cut the end to allow the air to angle towards the inner wheel well but in the pics of the parts, it looks like you cut in a different place.

BTW did you find that larger tires rub the flattened part of the duct?

Is it 3" hose?

Also how well did the ducts work?

Certainly it looks like the seal is much better than I can get with the Quantum set up.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Thanks for the pics.

It looks like you left the stock duct in place and just cut the end to allow the air to angle towards the inner wheel well but in the pics of the parts, it looks like you cut in a different place.

BTW did you find that larger tires rub the flattened part of the duct?

Is it 3" hose?

Also how well did the ducts work?

Certainly it looks like the seal is much better than I can get with the Quantum set up.
ARGGG! You're right I put the tape marker on the wrong side when I measured from the little tabs. Running 295/30/18s on 10.5" wheels I just rub at full lock. But then again 275/40/17s on 9.5" wheels just rubbed on one side at full lock. The ducts work very well and the tubing is 2.5". Obviously 3" would be better but the stock C6 ducts neck down to 2.5 so going back up to 3" with the tubing wouldn't work well.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for posting. This seems a lot easier than hacking up my car to make the DRM ducts fit.

Get notified of new replies

To GM brake ducts good for C5 corvettes?

Quick Reply: GM brake ducts good for C5 corvettes?