Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harry's lap timer app

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Psu vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harry's lap timer app

Anyone use this app? Does it work? How/ where do you mount the iPhone while on track?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I use it but they have made some upgrades lately and it has got a little glitchy. Buy a ram mount suction cup and stick it to the inside the windshield. You'll need a car charger too because it eats the battery.

Ian
Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Mark Aubele
Advanced

I use it from time to time, the iPhone's GPS is pretty ****** though, the video overlay doesn't work too well at hillclimbs with any kind of tree cover. Supposedly MUCH better while using an external GPS, but well worth the 14 bucks or whatever I paid for it.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Psu vette
Heel & Toe

Thanks, I will try it Monday at autobahn Joliet.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:15 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I've used it once and am pretty happy with the result. The iPhone 4s has a 1Hz GPS refresh rate which is as good as the TomTom external GPS mount that most folks used with the earlier iPhones.

Harry recommends either the Emprum Ultimate or the Dual XGPS150 which will supposedly operate at 5Hz. I had an Emprum but lost it due to it's small size before I got a chance to even use it. The anti-slip mat with the Dual is supposed to be good for over 1g which should be ok for open track days but obviously you'd want to hard mount it for racing. I'm going to give the Dual a try.

The web site (http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html) lists all of the other compatible GPS and OBD devices.

Last edited by YYZ06; 06-30-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: edit link
Old 06-30-2012, 03:22 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I use it with a TomTom mount I got from ebay and it delivers consistent results-- and the video overlay function works well and is fun. Overall, great bang for the buck.

Get notified of new replies

To Harry's lap timer app

Quick Reply: Harry's lap timer app