Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Guys-AMP

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track Guys-AMP

I just finished a two event with Track Guys at Atlanta Motorsports Park. The event was well run with lots of track time and not many cars....probably the heat! For the price it was a great deal....even if I did have to run with a bunch of "Stangs" Also as a bonus Randy Probst was there and hung out with us for a while. I think these guys started as a mustang group but several other makes were there and everyone had fun.....check out their event calendar.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Very Nice! As soon as I get my Driver's License (Currently Expired) I'll see if I can make it out there!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any issues with the noise requirement? I bought a noise testing meter and I'm right at 93db (a) with a GHL exhaust system. I'm not about to spend a bunch of $$ on registrations, hotels, insurance and driving down there to get tossed off the track.

Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Any issues with the noise requirement? I bought a noise testing meter and I'm right at 93db (a) with a GHL exhaust system. I'm not about to spend a bunch of $$ on registrations, hotels, insurance and driving down there to get tossed off the track.

Jim
All depends on how you tested it, sounds like you are ok though. The quoted below is from track management:
From: Jeremy Porter 100MPHLUNCH [mailto:jeremy@100mphlunch.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:39 PM
Subject: Sound requirements @ AMP

Team, here are the requirements for sound at AMP, please forward this to all track renters, participants, etc...

AMP will be well worth the sound reduction you have to have to comply with the City Laws and rules on our track. More elevation changes than Road Atlanta and Barber, with six blind corners and highly technical. This track will be one of the more challenging tracks you have driven - period...

The goal of our reduced levels on exhaust is NOT to trick the sound meter with creative solutions but rather to reduce the noise to the neighbors. Our sound ratings are higher or more liberal than almost every day at Laguna Seca, Lime Rock, Infineon, Eagles Canyon and most european tracks to name a few. [*]We have the most advanced meters money can buy so just because you pass at another track does not mean you will pass at AMP. Be prepared to have solutions to fix your car. [*]Go to radio shack and BUY A METER to test your car, drive by the meter at 50 feet WIDE OPEN throttle at speed with the meter set to FAST, and C weighted response. This will give you an idea if your car should pass. Cars under load going up hills produce more sound than ones on flat ground. Rain and humidity affect sound levels as well. [*]We will NOT allow ANY turn downs (even slight ones), turn aways, or anything on the exit of the exhaust what so ever - no flanges, no deflectors, etc. [*]Exhaust must exit straight out of the car parallel to the the ground. [*]Do not show up with an old muffler, with old packing, make sure the packing is fresh. [*]We measure 98 db 50 feet from the track edge on BOTH sides of the track. [*]We have seven DB meters around the track and we move them one time per day, if your goal is too "lift" you will be coasting around the entire track. [*]Your car will be inspected before going out and a preliminary DB reading - this rating will be lower than your car under load but if you are near or above the rating you need to fix your exhaust BEFORE going out [*]Do not show up with straight exhausts with no mufflers or silencers, you will not be allowed on track. Period. [*]We have DB "eaters reducing inserts for $99 installed for each pipe that exits the back of the car - these reduce DB's from 4 to 10 DB's and have worked on MOST cars. Not with cars with straight exhausts. [*]Our DB "Eaters" from Laguna and Lime Rock only reduce DB 4-10 DB's and have worked on most cars with a muffler or silencer. Do not show up with straight exhausts and expect this solution to work. [*]AMP reserves the right to pull your car if it sounds above the limit, even if you are passing the meters. Why? We don't want some new creative bypass to ruin the opportunity for others to enjoy this track. [*]Everyone must comply which means all of you will be equally held to this standard.
Do not come thinking we will not check your car or police this, or believe you when you say: "my car is quiet" it will not work!

Jeremy Porter
CEO
404-933-3436
Atlanta Motorsports Park
Why Buy a Fast Car, That You Can't Drive Fast?!?
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/atlantamotorsportspark
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ATLMotorPark
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

LS6, over size LG camshaft, Melrose headers, gutted cats, factory titanium cat-back and I had no trouble at all. Unfortunately, no straight pipes or turn downs allowed. If your car needs a little help with the limit, you can rent some inserts that quieten it down. Track is so much fun it is worth a shot if you have some doubts. Sooner or later you will want to try it.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva

Jim
My C5Z has Borla Stingers but had no problems with noise. This was my third trip to AMP and very few cars get flagged for noise . MTI runs some wicked vettes at AMP and they seem to pass as well

Last edited by Z06TWT; 07-05-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Hitman227
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 347 Posts

Yeah noise can be problematic especially with aftermarket exhausts and modified engines. I think there are a number of ways you can do this but one would be make sure you have full size mufflers and not just resonators and you'll probably be fine.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
0MTI RACING
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We will be at AMP tomorrow (July 7 & 8).

Come by our garages. We can show you how we pass sound.
We also have exhaust inserts on hand at the track. If you are a little on the loud side, we can quiet you down.

Hope to see you there!

-Stephen

Get notified of new replies

To Track Guys-AMP

Quick Reply: Track Guys-AMP