Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

False air from pin hole leak just past cat.???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default False air from pin hole leak just past cat.???

Running rich DTC for bank 2 sensor 1. I checked clamp in front of cat and found it tight. I started engine and found the little pin hole puffing air. It is a few inches past the O2 sensor 1 (downstream). I just replaced the sensor thinking that might be the problem but then found the leak. Is that little bit enough to richen the mixture enough for a Trouble Code?

Would have posted under C5 but most on this forum have experienced these things in the past. Thanks.

Oops, this is my LT4, not my C5. I get confused.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 07-07-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Hard to believe it is affecting the O2 sensor if it is downstream of the sensor unless there is some sort of reverse flow inside the exhaust system right there. One way to find out is to get some exhaust putty (if that is still available) for plugging exhaust leaks and see if the code goes away.

Bill
Old 07-08-2012, 01:46 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

May I suggest checking out "POR15" product line? POR15 has products for plugging hole in high temp application.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a lot of little issues with similiar situation on a supercharged mustang. Had 3 tiny leaks after the MAF and before the sensor. I tracked them down using carburator cleaner. With the car idling, spray on joints from the MAF on back. When the idle increases several hunderd rpm, you found the leak. I would look on the intake side for that sensor. Check your vacuum hoses for good connections and splits at the bottom of the hose. Carburator cleaner is quick for finding those too.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:48 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk
I had a lot of little issues with similiar situation on a supercharged mustang. Had 3 tiny leaks after the MAF and before the sensor. I tracked them down using carburator cleaner. With the car idling, spray on joints from the MAF on back. When the idle increases several hunderd rpm, you found the leak. I would look on the intake side for that sensor. Check your vacuum hoses for good connections and splits at the bottom of the hose. Carburator cleaner is quick for finding those too.
Good advise. The puzzling thing is that the car ran great without cats for a couple of thousand miles and then, right after installing the new cats, I get this problem. Could be one of those coincidental things that can drive you crazy.

Get notified of new replies

To False air from pin hole leak just past cat.???

Quick Reply: False air from pin hole leak just past cat.???