Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low rent harnesses protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Default low rent harnesses protection

I just picked up a 2010 GS. I'm looking to install a hardbar and harnesses for some Auto-X and novice level HPDE. This GS will not turn into a racecar.
I'm tall and my seat already goes all the way back when I'm on the street. If I understand correctly a hardbar may interfere with that. ??
The photos I've seen appear that the hardbar will interfere with use of the rear view mirror so I may be looking for one that is easy to remove/install.
I'm not changing the seats (at least not yet) and I want to keep my OEM belts for cruising.
If I read correctly I can pick up some "expired" harnesses pretty cheap and tech won't mind. I've seen some FS but am not familiar enough with them to know which ones suit my purpose.

A little help?

thanks

Last edited by jbondfl; 07-15-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

For the cost of a harness, I prefer to have one that is not expired. If you get turned away at one event, it will not have been worth it in my opinion.

Most groups will probably require that you have proper seats with pass through slots. You should probably check with the groups you will run with. In my experience no one says they accept expired harnesses, they just don't check them....

With my luck, I get the person that checks....

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the harness bar question. My Brey Krause bar in my c6z does not seem to interfere with anything and comes out with 4 bolts. See what others have to say as well. I think some have said the lap belt bar can limit movement.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

When I tracked a C-4 with stock seats I used to object to the rule requiring pass-throughs for Harnesses, but the C-5 seats really do interfere with the shoulder harnesses. Harnesses are - or should be - all about the geometry and anchoring!

Since you are tall, you may want to consider a bar that isn't so low that it is too far below you shoulders. I'm 6'2" and my B-K doesn't interfere with the view in my mirror and the angle from the bar to my shoulders is good. Also Hardbar has extendeers that allow the seat to go further back

Check the B-K mounting brackets for the lap/sub belts so you can detach - allows you to keep you OEM 3 point and use for street.
As 2GTOs stated check with the groups you will run with and see what their policies are for seats and harnesses. I once had an instructor refuse to use 5 point harnesses - even w/pass throughs - without a roll bar or cage. Do your homework and weight the risks before using a 5 or 6 pint without pass through
Old 07-15-2012, 03:56 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Hardbar harness bar won't work for you, stock seat back hits it. You'll need the BK bar, it sits back far enough to not interfere with the seat. Had a Hardbar, now have a BK.

+1 on getting seats with pass throughs. (have FX1 Pros for HPDEs)

HPDEs with Alabama PCA, Rezoom, Chin, FL Crown reigon PCA: Never had the harness dates checked.

AND, if you're using a harness, GET A HANS Device.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by CGZO6
Hardbar harness bar won't work for you, stock seat back hits it. You'll need the BK bar, it sits back far enough to not interfere with the seat. Had a Hardbar, now have a BK.

+1 on getting seats with pass throughs. (have FX1 Pros for HPDEs)

HPDEs with Alabama PCA, Rezoom, Chin, FL Crown reigon PCA: Never had the harness dates checked.

AND, if you're using a harness, GET A HANS Device.

However, I went with the Shark Bar Vs the BK bar. The Hardbar sits too high (crosses at the same level as the shoulder strap mounts behind the inner rear quarter trim panels in your car. The seat will hit the bar ~ at the point where the seat back latch is located at the top of the seat back. Shark Bar sits a couple of inches lower and further back which provides the correct angle for the shoulder harnesses to hold a HANS device in place if you have a race seat. Wrapping the shoulder harnesses around the outside of the stock seat will work at an autocross but you would be better off using the stock belts at an HPDE. The stock belts can work pretty well if you know how to adjust them. Since you are tall it won't work as well for you as it does for me but you can try. First, make sure the seat is all the way back, then pull the shoulder belt out until you hit the end of the belt. This puts the belt into cinch mode, then insert the buckle in the latch, then take your left hand and pull the lap belt toward the latch slide while using your right hand to pull as much slack as you can get through the slide and shove it back toward the shoulder belt take up reel. Once in the reel it will not come back out. Get it as tight as you can across your lap and chest. I use the power seat tilt to tilt the seat backward so I can remove more slack then tilt it forward to drive the car. Since I am only 5'9" I have to move the seat forward to reach the pedals so I run it as far forward as I can. This makes the belt very tight and shoves my butt down into the seat foam and my back into the seat back. I just upgraded my Z seats to have the lumbar bladders so I inflate the ones on the side of the seat to their max. I just tried this at an autocross a week ago and it worked pretty well. Not as good as the Ultrashield race seats I usually use on the track but pretty damned good and better than a stock M3 or P car system (they don't have cinch mode for the driver) for holding the driver in the car.

Bill
Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

which seats are you planing on changing too?

The Shoulder harness must pass though the seat back, not around the seat back for safety.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For auto-x, sure. Once you start doing HPDE's, DON'T GO CHEAP ON SAFETY! Youtube has plenty of DE-zasters posted, or look at streetfire. Your family will thank you./:\
Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
For auto-x, sure. Once you start doing HPDE's, DON'T GO CHEAP ON SAFETY! Youtube has plenty of DE-zasters posted, or look at streetfire. Your family will thank you./:\
Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

NASA and PBOC here in Florida will gig you on harnesses that don't pass through the seat at the proper angle and don't allow factory seats to be modified with passthroughs.

I have had instructors comment they prefer factory harnesses and airbags unless a full race seat and harness bar setup is used.

GS seats will hold you just fine till you advance quite a bit.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 07-18-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Anthony Stark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Gary at Hardbar makes Extenders so you can place the Bar a little further back to allow clearance for Taller individuals.
If you find that those dont solve your issue, I would go with the BK Bar. I had one before the Hardbar and was happy with it.

Good Luck......
Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
P car system (they don't have cinch mode for the driver) for holding the driver in the car.

Bill
For when you're instructing in one. For P cars stock even the sports seats are power recline. Recline the seat back. Pull the belt as tight as you can across your waist and let as much of the shoulder retract as much as possible. Pull it out quickly and it will lock. Don't let go of it. Use the power seat to cinch your upper body against the belt. As long as tension is kept it will not unlock. You will be surprised at how well you will be held in the seat. Most students do not know of this feature. Most instructors when I first started in my 03' C2 911 with sport seats (manual sliders and power recline) didn't know about it either.

Get notified of new replies

To low rent harnesses protection

Quick Reply: low rent harnesses protection