Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crane Cams V8 StockCar Points race at Charlotte with CCR SCCA

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Crane Cams V8 StockCar Points race at Charlotte with CCR SCCA

The Central Carolina Region SCCA "Daylight into Dark" regional races will be points racess for the Crane Cams V8 StockCar Series. Both big bore races will be on Saturday, one in the am and one at 7 pm running into the dark.

This is a spectator event.

The summer break is over, and the Crane Cams V8 StockCar racers are ready to get back in action. Charlotte Motor Speedway, the historic track designed and built by Bruton Smith and his partner, Nascar legend Curtis Turner, will be the venue. The "Daylight into Dark" SCCA regional races will be sanctioned and manned by the fine folks of the Central Carolina's Region SCCA. The V8 races will have two thirty minute sprint race, one Saturday morning, and the other at seven pm Saturday night, running under the lights.
Some thirty V8 racers are expected including the Monette Racing Group, which features last years overall winner Zach Monette in his diabolical Trans Am Mustang. Family Patriarch, Bob Monette has his own wicked V8 GT-1 Camaro and daughter Paige Alexander will be wheeling her silver C6 Corvette. In addition, teammate Mike Kelly will compete in his C6 Corvette. Charles Wicht will be on hand in his super quick Rocketsports Corvette, Ray Cocoziello in his C5 Corvette and CMP runner up Wayne Cabaniss in a C4 Corvette. Clint Thomas will bring out his fast, winged Monte Carlo to do battle as well.

In the V8 SPO class, expect a good fight between Willie Mullins in his Bugsy's Automotive Monte Carlo, Lee Arnold in the V8StockCar.com Monte Carlo and Mickey Wright in her Ford Fusion.

In the V8 GTA class there is no telling who might come out on top as many former winners will be on hand including Bobby and Roger Reuse, Butch Kummer, Ron Fariss, Ricky Sanders, Bob Davis, Randy Walker and more.

In V8 GT2, CMP winner Miles Barefoot looks to add to his win total in his Porsche 911. Barefoot will be challenged by Dan Schlickenmeyer in his Mustang, Robert Hayschack in a FFR Cobra and Andre Balanc in a C5 Z06 Corvette

The event will be a spectator event and those wishing to take in the action need only to present themselves at SCCA regsistration on Saturday morning to pick up credentials.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Zach Monette won both rounds last year in this bad & beautiful ex Trans Am Mustang

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Mike Kelly, also a member of the Monette Racing Group (MRG) in his C6 will compete.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 PM
bosco022
Drifting

The leader of the Monette team, Bob Monette and his Camaro.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Lee Arnold will bring out his super quick V8 SPO Monte Carlo.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 PM
bosco022
Drifting

CMP winner Miles Barefoot GT2 Porsche

Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
bosco022
Drifting

The Reuse Bros. from Alabama will bring out their Gen 5 Camaro's

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

An awesome race series -- I'll see if I can sneak away from my chores on Saturday long enough to ride around the corner.

Are they charging for spectator cred's and any idea when the afternoon race is?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by mAydAy121
An awesome race series -- I'll see if I can sneak away from my chores on Saturday long enough to ride around the corner.

Are they charging for spectator cred's and any idea when the afternoon race is?
My understanding is you just need to sign the scca waiver and it is free.

The afternoon big bore race starts at 7pm.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bosco022
My understanding is you just need to sign the scca waiver and it is free.

The afternoon big bore race starts at 7pm.
Great, thanks Bosco! I haven't had a chance to see these cars in several years, definitely one of the most exciting series around. One of these days I'll get back out on track myself.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:06 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

What was up with the low car count? A couple Monette cars plus 1 other in GT1 I think and only a couple each in the other classes?

Do the V8 guys have issues with brakes? In both races it looked like a lot of very early, light braking and coasting into 1

The CCPS race afterwards was pretty good though -- the usual bunch of the crowd riding around but there were some guys really getting after it!

Last edited by mAydAy121; 08-19-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:10 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by mAydAy121
What was up with the low car count? A couple Monette cars plus 1 other in GT1 I think and only a couple each in the other classes?

Do the V8 guys have issues with brakes? In both races it looked like a lot of very early, light braking and coasting into 1

The CCPS race afterwards was pretty good though -- the usual bunch of the crowd riding around but there were some guys really getting after it!
We started with 28 cars in the group (6 V8 GT-1's , 10 GTA's,and a mix of V8 GT2's and V8 SPO's) and immediately lost a couple in the first qualifying session.

The "big one" on lap 4 of the first race took out 4 cars due to heavy damage, and two more retired after the race due to damage. The race was black flagged and not restarted.

With regard to braking early, about 1/2 half the field had never raced at Charlotte and were pobably a bit skittish about the very tight turn one entry with the Jersey barriers right there. You have to remember many of these cars were capable of running 175 or more there.

Sixteen cars started the evening race with Paul Arey winning overall in his Tommy Riggins chassis Olds after leader and morning winner Zach Monette had a tire go down as he approached turn one.

The second race was a good one with good battles in GT1 early, GTA between Butch Kummer and Ricky Sanders.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
mAydAy121
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bosco022
We started with 28 cars in the group (6 V8 GT-1's , 10 GTA's,and a mix of V8 GT2's and V8 SPO's) and immediately lost a couple in the first qualifying session.

The "big one" on lap 4 of the first race took out 4 cars due to heavy damage, and two more retired after the race due to damage. The race was black flagged and not restarted.

With regard to braking early, about 1/2 half the field had never raced at Charlotte and were pobably a bit skittish about the very tight turn one entry with the Jersey barriers right there. You have to remember many of these cars were capable of running 175 or more there.

Sixteen cars started the evening race with Paul Arey winning overall in his Tommy Riggins chassis Olds after leader and morning winner Zach Monette had a tire go down as he approached turn one.

The second race was a good one with good battles in GT1 early, GTA between Butch Kummer and Ricky Sanders.
Yeah its definitely tight and they're carrying a LOT of speed down that front straight. You could tell who was comfortable and who wasn't -- seemed like a few of the front runners could have sung it in a bit harder but its definitely a sketchy one. I think it as a SPO car I saw loop it.

I suppose I really didn't judge it fairly after too much time around professional racing -- its a very intimidating track setup with the HUGE speeds and brutal transitions on and off the banking.

I wondered what happened to Zach Monette -- he had the field covered and it looked like he wasn't even trying. Bob Monette told me a little bit about the big wreck earlier, and I saw his daughter hit the wall on the front stretch in the last race.

Either way, it was a great show. The brute force of those GT1 cars can not be beat. Seeing the crowd in the later race makes me think I need to brush off the driving shoes and get back behind the wheel on some twisty tracks.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:38 AM
bosco022
Drifting

I think both Zach and Paige had tires go down on the front straight. Scary

Get notified of new replies

To Crane Cams V8 StockCar Points race at Charlotte with CCR SCCA

Quick Reply: Crane Cams V8 StockCar Points race at Charlotte with CCR SCCA