Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transponder question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Default Transponder question

I made a simple mount for an AMB transponder. Would anyone know if the signal will pass through the nose bottom? I believe the material is rubber, it is part of the front bumper. It's not fiberglass for sure! I could drill a hole under it. Pic:

Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The instructions advise mounting it with clear access to the ground, so that's what I would do. Having said that, I recently purchased a CSR with a transponder mounted over the undertray. It must have worked in that position, but I removed it nonetheless b/c the last thing I need at the track is to worry about timing and scoring issues--or any issues that can be prevented ahead of time.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I made a simple mount for an AMB transponder. Would anyone know if the signal will pass through the nose bottom? I believe the material is rubber, it is part of the front bumper. It's not fiberglass for sure! I could drill a hole under it. Pic:
Mine's mounted in the same place and it has to go through my splitter and the under tray which is made out of alumalite which is 10mm thick consisting of two .040 aluminum panels sandwiching a plastic core.
It will work there with no problems. I've been running mine for two years and never had a missed lap!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Dang if it goes through alumalite it will have no problem with that bumper (neoprene?). It really should have that kind of power but the instructions are very restrictive. I'll give it a go then, I can easily cut a slot there at the track if there is an issue.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I suppose it could depend on the track loop itself but FWIW I put my AMB transponder (wedged between soft sponges) in the passenger side door pocket plugged into the cigarette lighter. It's always worked fine on the various tracks I run at. I think you'd be OK. Also, make sure you use a lock washer so the butterfly screw doesn't vibrate off.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:25 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine in the trunk for 5 years and never missed a lap!
Old 08-18-2012, 02:24 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine is inside on the passenger side footwell kick panel. It works fine.

Here is link to my installation.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ation-diy.html

Get notified of new replies

To Transponder question

Quick Reply: Transponder question