Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's Going to Solo Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Who's Going to Solo Nationals

I know we have a lot of road race guys on here, but who is going to Solo Nationals? I know I'll be there, and Scott is driving my car so that's two. Anyone else?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:59 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I'll be there. We have 5 drivers from our region coming out in SS alone.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 AM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

I'm going.... but unfortunately NO ONE else signed up in my SSPL class, so I'm jumping ship and driving an S2000 in BSL this year on thursday/friday ... Lots of 1 car classes on the roster so far
Old 08-19-2012, 10:03 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Donna, glad to see you're goign to be there, regarldess. It was fun watching the you battle it out with the gals @ Peru.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Originally Posted by AverageVetteNut
Donna, glad to see you're goign to be there, regarldess. It was fun watching the you battle it out with the gals @ Peru.
Yes - I'm happy to be going this year and driving Karen Babb and Roger Johnson designed courses!
Peru was fun, but I really struggled in the SSM class with my big heavy car
Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Yeah, Tara Valent is a local gal here and she was struggling with their new car as well.

I didn't have the event I would've liked in Peru either ( Dirty all 3 runs on day 1 ) but I learned a ton and think I'll do much better in a few weeks. Lincoln last year I had issues on day 1 as well with the drying conditions but drove well on day 2, so I'm hoping to get TWO decent days this time and see how I fare.

SS is such a great class.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in with Lane...on Goodyear Eagle RS...
Old 08-21-2012, 01:47 PM
edwardo99
Advanced

Originally Posted by TedDBere
I'm in with Lane...on Goodyear Eagle RS...
Good luck, Scott. Bring back a trophy again this year!

Ed F.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
autoxer6
Racer

I'll be there again in SS. Looking forward to racing against another deep talent field with Braun in a C5Z, Strano in a C6Z, Thomason & Rhoads in a Viper and a long list of other fast guys. ANY trophy is SS is definitely hard earned!

Chris Shay
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

ok, got the truck/car all loaded up and ready to head to Lincoln in the AM.

Hope you all that are going have a safe trip and see you there.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
MPosey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to miss it again this year due to work, freaking consulting is a pain :-( . I think Donna is going to come drive my S2000 CR in Atlanta soon though. I'm thinking I'm going to convince her she needs it. I'm going to switch from autox to HPDE's and time trials in addition to Autox.

2004 Z06 is the best option I can find for doing all 3.

Hear that Donna? Come on down, I've got your car, plus spares ready! Don't believe me? Go find Jadrice Toussaint and ask him about my car...

Ok enough marketing.

The Atlanta region has a ton of SS folks, Tommy Pulliam, Steve Waters, Paul Barros. We also have some other folks like Randall Prince in STX, and Tim Smith in EP. The best one to watch? Look out of J Brett Howell in a kart, it will be amazing to watch as he has driven a kart exactly once. He is a past national champion, so he should get better to watch. Also he is probably one of the funniest autocrossers to ever crank a wheel.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats to Matthew Braun. Won the Pro Solo Finale in SS. C5 Z06.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There are a lot of photos from the SCCA Nationals here. Most of these were taken a few years back. Still fun though.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Congrats to our own ltborg (OP on this thread). He captured A-Stock at the Solo Nationals. By the whopping margin of 0.095 second for the two days combined.

Great job!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by acrace
Congrats to our own ltborg (OP on this thread). He captured A-Stock at the Solo Nationals. By the whopping margin of 0.095 second for the two days combined.

Great job!
Thanks! Savini is a great driver and was really tough to beat. We had a pretty good battle for the class. Thanks again to Scott (TedDBere) for codriving and warming my tires. It was a lot of fun.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 AM
edwardo99
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltborg
Thanks! Savini is a great driver and was really tough to beat. We had a pretty good battle for the class. Thanks again to Scott (TedDBere) for codriving and warming my tires. It was a lot of fun.
Yes, Congrats. After 9th last year, you leapfrogged over both Tony and Scott (and everyone else) into 1st place. I know you mentioned elsewhere all the work you've done on the setup. Care to tell us a little about what changes you made and why you think they worked for you?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:07 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by edwardo99
Yes, Congrats. After 9th last year, you leapfrogged over both Tony and Scott (and everyone else) into 1st place. I know you mentioned elsewhere all the work you've done on the setup. Care to tell us a little about what changes you made and why you think they worked for you?
The car is totally different than last year. This year I am running Goodyears instead of Hoosiers (which I wanted to do last year, but couldn't). I have a Strano Parts 33mm hollow front bar and Koni 3013s. Alignment roughly as follows:

Front
Camber: -2.2
Caster: 6.0 (set based on camber)
Toe: 1/8" out

Rear
Camber: -1.2
Toe: 3/16" in

There are still some changes to be made and I am not sure that the alignment is totally right. I may end up loosing the car up with less rear toe, but compensating with a 35mm bar. We'll have to see how things work out. Most people run Hoosiers so the alignment settings might not work for those.

You mentioned last years Nationals. That was the first autocross I had done in four years and my first National level event ever. If you look, I was second on Day 2 (but no one looks at those results). This is my first full season of autocrossing and truly developing the car (Nationals was the first event the car ran at last year and my codriver managed to make it work). This year Tony really brought it this week, but we were able to pull away from the rest of the field pretty well. There are a lot of good drivers (and overall good people) that have moved to AS and it is a fun class to run in.

I'd be happy to help with any setup questions you have. The catch is making the car work for your driving style and vice versa, with the final goal being to settle on a good compromise between the strengths of the two. I tend to drive very aggressively, but that works for my tires and my setup, others might not like it so much. So just remember that what one person says will work may or may not work for you and your setup. Always test if you can.

Last edited by ltborg; 09-07-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell when I'm tired.

Get notified of new replies

To Who's Going to Solo Nationals

Old 09-06-2012, 09:23 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Wow, what a blast! Big thanks to Lane for giving me the oppportunity to help him get the heat in the Goodyears. I haven't run much this year with the move to SC so jumping in the Goodyear clad car for the first time heading to grid on day one was a rush.

Super driving by both Lane and Tony. Tony laid down the times on day two while Lane was at the line and with Junior screaming in the announcer's mike when Tony put down a "whoop-a$$" time on his last run no one thought anybody could stand up to that kind of pressure. But Lane "The Ice Man" stepped up and proceeded to beat Tony's great time with another to take the championship.

Regarding the Goodyear tires the results speak for themselves. Goodyear can compete at the top of the field at the National level. They love heat, wear like steal, and don't drop off. If you have a co-driver locally I'd bet these Goodyears would last you an entire season and as long as the steel wasn't showing you could still win on them at Nationals. They love slip angle, unlike the others, and have a much more progressive slip, so if you"re a really good driver who likes to keep your car on the edge of the traction circle you can play with the throttle more to generate rotation both on, and off, throttle depending on your desire.

Congrats to all the National competitors! Just showing up and competing is the victory!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd be happy to help with any setup questions you have.
Congrats Lane on your win. What a great feeling you must have.

How about setup for our driving skills? What are some of the technical aspects that took you to the next level? Drivers want to concentrate on car setup and that's okay, but I want to know how to drive at your level.

Thanks,

Steve A.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:30 PM
edwardo99
Advanced

Originally Posted by TedDBere

Regarding the Goodyear tires the results speak for themselves. Goodyear can compete at the top of the field at the National level. They love heat, wear like steal, and don't drop off. If you have a co-driver locally I'd bet these Goodyears would last you an entire season and as long as the steel wasn't showing you could still win on them at Nationals. They love slip angle, unlike the others, and have a much more progressive slip, so if you"re a really good driver who likes to keep your car on the edge of the traction circle you can play with the throttle more to generate rotation both on, and off, throttle depending on your desire.

Congrats to all the National competitors! Just showing up and competing is the victory!
Thanks for the info on the tires. Very interesting. What sizes were you and Lane running?

I talked to Tony Savini after Nats last year and he told me he made a mistake then not going big, big, big! (He's corrected that since. When I saw him in Nashville, I believe he had 295/315 on the 8.5/9.5 wheels.

Last edited by edwardo99; 09-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Who's Going to Solo Nationals