Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need input / advice on mounting anti-sub belt

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:27 PM
kerryt1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need input / advice on mounting anti-sub belt

My set up:

• C5 Z06
• Brey Krause harness bar for shoulder belts
• BK lap belt mounts
• Caravaggio race seats (fixed back), stock seat tracks
• 5 point harnesses (3" w/ 2" anti sub)

I am not sure how to properly mount the anti-sub belt (crotch). The seat does not have a slot in the base, but it does have a two piece cushion that velcros into the base of the seat.

Do I need to cut a slot in the seat (fiberglass) and install a grommet? How to anchor the belt? Do I need to fab something to connect to the studs in the floor?
Is there a proper angle or distance to have the belt penetrate the seat?
Can I run it under the cusion and over the front of the seat tub?

Totally lost, please advise.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

First a 6 point with TWO sub belts would be prefered. That way you do not squeeze the family Jewels.

teh sub belts can be attached way in back under the seat where the seat belts are attached.

Make a hole in the seat bottom so the sub belt can go through is the only way to properly mount the sub belts. Two holes or slots.

Or sell the Caravaggio's and buy Sparko, Suzika, Momo, RaceTech, Kirkey or Ultrashield seat that has all the proper routing holes and has a Nomex fabric seat cover, not leather.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

although the BK mounts have secondery holes for the six place harness,
you sit on them so no cutting necessary
Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Instead of cutting the seats up you could switch the harness to a TeamTech Jet Pilot and not have to cut any holes. The lower straps go around your leg and hold you like a climbing (or jet pilot) harness so there is no traditional anti-submarine strap. It only mounts at 4 points so there's no danger of crushing the family jewels. I use this harness in my car and it's the most comfortable harness I've ever used.

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...28b52bcabcbdb6
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Instead of cutting the seats up you could switch the harness to a TeamTech Jet Pilot and not have to cut any holes. The lower straps go around your leg and hold you like a climbing (or jet pilot) harness so there is no traditional anti-submarine strap. It only mounts at 4 points so there's no danger of crushing the family jewels. I use this harness in my car and it's the most comfortable harness I've ever used.

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...28b52bcabcbdb6
The BK lap belt mounts essentially allow you to do the same with a 6 point harness. Lap belts get mounted in the outer set of holes and the sub belts get mounted in the lower set and pass under your legs.

Right now your quickest solution is to go with a 6 point harness since you already have the BK lap belt mounts. Get pull up belts and make sure the adjuster buckles are free of the seat so they don't accidentally loosen the belt if you have an incident. To do a sub belt bar you need to cut a hole in the seat bottom and mount a bar across the seat tracks to fasten the sub belt to.

The pictures show a stock C5 manual seat track with a sub belt bar welded to it.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 08-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need input / advice on mounting anti-sub belt

Quick Reply: Need input / advice on mounting anti-sub belt