Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Half Track Drill in HPDE2 for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Did Half Track Drill in HPDE2 for the first time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvyA6qfNlGQ

Had some fun doing something different in HPDE this past weekend with NASA at Summit Point Summer Breeze event. I think They said this was the first time they've done this with HPDE2.
The car does feel different going thur the marbles.
Had so much fun doing it I did it in my 3rd session but changed it up a bit. I ran a couple on the right than a couple on the left and than the normal line a couple and repeated it again.

I would like to know if there's any other drills you could recommend?

P.S. 28:30 in video I get thrown around a bit
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
seebobgo
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by V4kerker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvyA6qfNlGQ

Had some fun doing something different in HPDE this past weekend with NASA at Summit Point Summer Breeze event. I think They said this was the first time they've done this with HPDE2.
The car does feel different going thur the marbles.
Had so much fun doing it I did it in my 3rd session but changed it up a bit. I ran a couple on the right than a couple on the left and than the normal line a couple and repeated it again.

I would like to know if there's any other drills you could recommend?

P.S. 28:30 in video I get thrown around a bit
You need to learn the line. You will have more fun.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see the value in this drill.
The only "drill" that I ever found useful for the track was auto-xing (which stresses car control and looking ahead).
Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "No Brakes" drill.

Basically, run a session while trying to NOT use the brakes at all. It's an outstanding lesson in managing inertia, and entry speeds. You WILL go faster afterwards.

Passing needs to be a bit more restricted, as there are times & places where you'll need to (literally...) scrub off speed. Everybody on track in that session needs to play the game. You find out real quick how much "steering input" can affect a car's "rolling resistance" (a good reinforcement to the "steer as little as possible" lesson).

A decade ago, as C.I. for a number of different schools, I used this a lot. Always had good feedback, except from the few grumblers who didn't actually want to learn anything ("I just want to go fast").

Tracks with big long straights (especially downhill straights, like the Glen) really make you work.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=RX-Ben;1581636930]I don't see the value in this drill.
QUOTE]

I agree Nasa made us do this one time, I thought they just wanted us to do track clean up
Old 08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

No brake Drills are great

there are three lines:

The Party Line / HPDE line

The fastest line

or the race line, which is where other cars arn't
Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Sometimes I practice a turn in from the inside. No reason other than to get the experience just in case I find myself there unintentionally some time, which happened this weekend. At least I will know the limit there.

As fate may have it, I had just made a pass on the straight on njmp lightning and when I went to get back on line for the turn, the car I was passing was on my side blocking me. I had to take the turn off line and at least I knew what to expect.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
The "No Brakes" drill.

Basically, run a session while trying to NOT use the brakes at all. It's an outstanding lesson in managing inertia, and entry speeds. You WILL go faster afterwards.

Passing needs to be a bit more restricted, as there are times & places where you'll need to (literally...) scrub off speed. Everybody on track in that session needs to play the game. You find out real quick how much "steering input" can affect a car's "rolling resistance" (a good reinforcement to the "steer as little as possible" lesson).

A decade ago, as C.I. for a number of different schools, I used this a lot. Always had good feedback, except from the few grumblers who didn't actually want to learn anything ("I just want to go fast").

Tracks with big long straights (especially downhill straights, like the Glen) really make you work.
Thanks Don I hope I can find an instructor to help me with the no brake drill. This is my first year doing HPDE I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Running the line is good but I want to get as much out of my HPDE weekends as I can.

I finally got to do a ride along in a super 7 in HPDE4. I got respect for those drivers in HPDE 4 there's a whole lot going on and it's faster.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:25 PM
V4kerker
Racer

[QUOTE=PA Z06;1581637552]
Originally Posted by RX-Ben
QUOTE]

I agree Nasa made us do this one time, I thought they just wanted us to do track clean up
PA Z06 yes I think the stinger bahn racers really liked that we cleaned the track for them, but I think it would of been better to do the right side first than the left.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
The only "drill" that I ever found useful for the track was auto-xing (which stresses car control and looking ahead).
BEN I don't think auto-xing teaches you how to deal with having to take the inside or outside half of the track because you have a car right beside you taking the line you'd like to be taking.

I've never auto-x so I might not know what I'm taking about.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:24 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I stongly disagree with the folks that think the off line drills have no value. When you progress to HPDE3 or racing with open passing anywhere on the track, you need to know how the car will react. It also comes in very handy in an emergency avoidance situation. The only way to learn is to actually drive in the marbles, off line, take an inside or late pass and see how the car reacts in those situations. Driving in the rain is also a great educator, you will learn more car control in two wet sessions than you will learn in ten dry ones !
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Great learning tool, I am glad to see NASA stater using it. No Brakes is another one as mentioned. A third exercise you can do in an HPDE session is pick a gear and stay in it for the entire session. Again, you will learn how to manage with or without torque on tap.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Driving off line (as in, when passing another car entering a corner) requires you to recalculate your braking, turning and acceleration inputs on the fly on a surface with potentially variable traction...which is exactly what you do in auto-x.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:22 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Great learning tool, I am glad to see NASA stater using it. No Brakes is another one as mentioned. A third exercise you can do in an HPDE session is pick a gear and stay in it for the entire session. Again, you will learn how to manage with or without torque on tap.
brkntrxn my last 2 session that weekend I tried using more gears (lower) on some slower corners so I'd have to manage the throttle more. I was trying to find out when and where to up shift (Sport Mode) to see how much the car would get unsettled and me also.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 AM
V4kerker
Racer

CHJ in Virginia My first every HPDE was in the rain boy was I nervous.

Summit Point has 2 skid pads that can be wetted down. I did it once with the HPDE thats run by the Track (FATT) using old cop cars. Sure wish they'd let some of the car clubs us the skid pads but I heard something about insurance issues.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:47 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

PCA Founders Region uses the skid pad at SP also........in your own car. Great group to run with if you can get in.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM
VTME13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topmover
PCA Founders Region uses the skid pad at SP also........in your own car. Great group to run with if you can get in.
Yup, so does TrackDaze when they run Shenandoah.

Get notified of new replies

To Did Half Track Drill in HPDE2 for the first time

Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

In my Nasa Comp school... we did the half track drill but with another car beside us the entire time. Do a couple of laps and then switch postions (inside to outside and vise versa). I thought that was a pretty good drill since it made you drive off-line and with a car on your side to figure how much throttle and brake you needed to stay where you're supposed to.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
In my Nasa Comp school... we did the half track drill but with another car beside us the entire time. Do a couple of laps and then switch postions (inside to outside and vise versa). I thought that was a pretty good drill since it made you drive off-line and with a car on your side to figure how much throttle and brake you needed to stay where you're supposed to.

We do the same drill in NASA Midwest for HPDE 1/2. There are multiple goals for this : Learning just how wide the track is (the track is wider than just "the line", spacial relationship to the car next to you, and driving off line - how to place the car, etc...

The "No brake" drill is a separate drill, and something I always do on the cooldown lap.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Been using this for years with HPDE1 drivers. along with "bump the gators", single gear, and no brake exercises. How is someone going to be comfortable with "pass anywhere" if they can only drive the school line????

You let the track guys know "this session we're going to be off line - any problems with that?" Then line up near the back, start off with two laps on-line, two laps left side, two laps right side. If traffic appears go back on line and point them by. I ONLY use this if the org is OK with it and the student is COMFORTABLE on line. Never the first or last session of the day.

Bump the gators - uses more of the track and gets folks comfortable with getting out there. Lots of students don't want to use that last bit of track. Use this if you can't get them out to the edges for turn in, apex and/or track out.

Had one student in a Mustang with a ton of horsepower. After suffering through two sessions of shifting 10 times a lap (CMP) I had him stick it in 4th and run a whole session that way. Opened his eyes to what that monster could do. Eventualy added in 4 shifts once he smoothed out, took a few sessions.

Quick Reply: Did Half Track Drill in HPDE2 for the first time