Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check your hub bolts!

Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check your hub bolts!

Just a heads up, check those suckers! Lost a bolt out of the FR hub at Thunderbolt this weekend, causing me to lose the brakes going into turn one. Scary but I got through it unscathed. Turns out they were all just hand tight with antiseize on the threads. From now on whenever I have a wheel off I'm gonna stick my head back there and check them!
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Daffy2
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the bolts loosen up on the one of the rear hubs on my Fiero. It made it handle very squirrely and unpredictable. In my case, it also ruined the bearing. Now, I always use loctite on hub bolts.

-Tim
Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Who installed it?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

nord locks are a good idea on these, as well as ditching the stock torx fasteners.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:22 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I don't know who installed them, the car came with SKFs in the front, and I never checked them before. This weekend I'm going to replace all 3 bolts with cap screws and safety wire them.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I just repl both fronts on mine with stock torx and loctite. I did read where the red loctite breaks down after ~400*. I was a little concerned about that as there is plenty of heat around that area.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Cap heads and safety wire is a good bet. I won't **** on torx bolts, I've stripped too many of those things and it's not like you can get the bits just anywhere.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I used Hardbar's bolt kit and nordlocks when I installed mine. Torqued to around 70 ft/lbs. If using OEM bolts it's red loc-tite and 96 ft/lbs.

I think a lot of the issues is that it can be hard to torque those bolts to that spec with the spindle off of the car so most just get it tight thinking it's ok. Then the flexing/stress on the hub allows them to come loose over time.

I check the upper two on each hub (lower is blocked by the lower BJ stud) as part of my track weekend check over.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:51 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Yeah I gotta take the hub off this weekend to get to those lower bolts. I want to install ARP studs anyway so it's fine. Any advice on getting that hub off? I already see that I need the spreader tool.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:32 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

It may be the antisieze that caused this. That's what it does - allows for easy removal as the coefficient of friction drops significantly with it's application. There are very few threads that I remember putting antisieze on for our cars (spark plugs are all I can think of).

It's good you caught it before it caught you (into the wall...). Thanks for the heads up as well, it may help others add one more thing to their checklist before going on the track.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

All good ideas. I always use a paint marker on anything important and mark a witness line. A quick glance easily reveals if a fastener has rotated.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:08 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I properly torqued mine and marked them with a paint stick so that I can check them before each track day with a quick glance.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
All good ideas. I always use a paint marker on anything important and mark a witness line. A quick glance easily reveals if a fastener has rotated.
Haha, beat me to it!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ya, I used to nut/bolt between every session when I was racing prior to using witness marks. It just frees up so much time when you're a one man operation to deal with more important things. The one single time I ever had a loose fastener on something important was also the one time I had someone else do some work on my car. Luckily I discovered it after practice that day cause it was something that could have created a huge problem to put it lightly. Now, in addition to the marks I even stamp the torque specs next to some fasteners so it's stupid simple to work them when needed.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by trackboss
Originally Posted by stevensa
I properly torqued mine and marked them with a paint stick so that I can check them before each track day with a quick glance.
A simple but Excellent tip
Old 08-28-2012, 12:22 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

This is where I hate the fact that our cars are all metric. If they were standard, I'd just buy some appropriate AN bolts predrilled for safety wire and call it good.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I used Hardbar's bolt kit and nordlocks when I installed mine. Torqued to around 70 ft/lbs. If using OEM bolts it's red loc-tite and 96 ft/lbs.

Can you tell my more about the hardbar kit. Doesn't seem like a lot of room at the bottom for a normal bolt before hitting the ball joint.

Get notified of new replies

To Check your hub bolts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check your hub bolts!