Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Grand Sport Track Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:24 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default 2010 Grand Sport Track Advice

Okay guys, let me first start out by saying I have been away from the track for a few years now. ( and boy did I miss it ) I previously had a 2003 ZO6 and then moved up to a 2007 ZO6 and did about 6 track events per year at tracks in the Northeast. I sold the 2007 ZO6 when I moved to Florida a few years ago but just purchased a 2010 Grand Sport 6M with 6,000 miles on it and plan to start tracking again. I will run at Daytona, Sebring and Palm Beach FL.
I know on the 2007 ZO6 the Factory brake pads sucks at high speed tracks as they seems to melt into the rotor. ( or that is what I think happened ) I would get awful grinding noise when applying the brakes after doing s track day. It would go away after driving the car for a few thousand miles so I assume the pads would just scub off the crap that was melted to the rotor. I am not a super aggresive driver and I know the Grand Sport won't be as fast as the ZO6 was so my first question is did they improve the factory brake pads on the 2010 Grand Sport or are they the same as my 2007 ZO6 and they will suck at the high speed tracks?
Next question is if I need new pads, what should I get? On my last few track days with the 2007 ZO6 I was running Carbotech one piece pads in the front and they worked great at the track but the car sounded horrible when I was on the street and applied the brakes. Is the one piece design still the way to go or do the padlets work better? Does anyone make a pad the works well for the track but is still quite in the street or is that wishful thinking?
I know I will need to flush the brake fluid and I will go with Motul RB600 fluid along with doing the turkey baster change to the clutch fluid, anything else that you think I will need to look at as the car is a few years old?
I loved both my old ZO6's as track cars and I hope the Grand Sport will be as reliable, ( never had one breakdown or problem with either ZO6 ) any know problems or area that I need to keep a eye on?
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

There's lots of useful brake info here & in the Z06 forum, but I don't think anything was changed to the factory brakes for Z06's & GS over the years.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by MA ZO6
Does anyone make a pad the works well for the track but is still quite in the street or is that wishful thinking?
I know I will need to flush the brake fluid and I will go with Motul RB600 fluid along with doing the turkey baster change to the clutch fluid, anything else that you think I will need to look at as the car is a few years old?
We have the same car. Same mileage exactly when I picked up mine 6,236.

That brake pad for the track and street is wishful thinking!! lol!

Take off the padlets and replace them with one piece Carbotech XP12's in the front and XP10's in the rear. Get some centric slotted rotors and keep the oem drilled as spares. Get comfortable taking off the caliper and swapping out the one piece pads for the padlets if you don't like the noise on the street. The Carbotech's have the holes for the caliper padlet bolts and they don't have to be removed. Just makes it so easy to swap back and forth if you need to. The Carbotech brake dust is pretty mild. It wipes off easily. I do coat my wheels with some spray wax to make that process a little easier.

I found the old OEM tires have no grip to speak of so I changed them out for some R comp treaded tires.

When you do that you will see that you need seats and harnesses. A neck restraint device also if safety is important to you.

Then you may see a need for front spindle brake ducts with the stickier tires and serious pads. The Motul fluid is fine I would just bleed it through out the season so it's stays fresh and moisture free with a firm pedal.

Other than that just all the fluids and you should be ready for the track.

After you start down this road you will find the other little bits the car will benefit from but nearly stock I think you will find the GS will be a lot of fun to take to the track. Have a great time!!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Good info Racingswh, I'm just going to use up my '12 GS's existing rotors/pads & then upgrade. I'm a **** for 2-piece rotors & the DBA 5000's are looking very good.

Question, are you still running stock suspension? I'll get DRM Bilstiens & Pilot SS's after I go through my gen 1 F-1's, as I only do a couple hpde's per year.

Originally Posted by Racingswh
We have the same car. Same mileage exactly when I picked up mine 6,236.

That brake pad for the track and street is wishful thinking!! lol!

Take off the padlets and replace them with one piece Carbotech XP12's in the front and XP10's in the rear. Get some centric slotted rotors and keep the oem drilled as spares. Get comfortable taking off the caliper and swapping out the one piece pads for the padlets if you don't like the noise on the street. The Carbotech's have the holes for the caliper padlet bolts and they don't have to be removed. Just makes it so easy to swap back and forth if you need to. The Carbotech brake dust is pretty mild. It wipes off easily. I do coat my wheels with some spray wax to make that process a little easier.

I found the old OEM tires have no grip to speak of so I changed them out for some R comp treaded tires.

When you do that you will see that you need seats and harnesses. A neck restraint device also if safety is important to you.

Then you may see a need for front spindle brake ducts with the stickier tires and serious pads. The Motul fluid is fine I would just bleed it through out the season so it's stays fresh and moisture free with a firm pedal.

Other than that just all the fluids and you should be ready for the track.

After you start down this road you will find the other little bits the car will benefit from but nearly stock I think you will find the GS will be a lot of fun to take to the track. Have a great time!!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MA ZO6
Okay guys, let me first start out by saying I have been away from the track for a few years now. ( and boy did I miss it ) I previously had a 2003 ZO6 and then moved up to a 2007 ZO6 and did about 6 track events per year at tracks in the Northeast. I sold the 2007 ZO6 when I moved to Florida a few years ago but just purchased a 2010 Grand Sport 6M with 6,000 miles on it and plan to start tracking again. I will run at Daytona, Sebring and Palm Beach FL.
I know on the 2007 ZO6 the Factory brake pads sucks at high speed tracks as they seems to melt into the rotor. ( or that is what I think happened ) I would get awful grinding noise when applying the brakes after doing s track day. It would go away after driving the car for a few thousand miles so I assume the pads would just scub off the crap that was melted to the rotor. I am not a super aggresive driver and I know the Grand Sport won't be as fast as the ZO6 was so my first question is did they improve the factory brake pads on the 2010 Grand Sport or are they the same as my 2007 ZO6 and they will suck at the high speed tracks?
Next question is if I need new pads, what should I get? On my last few track days with the 2007 ZO6 I was running Carbotech one piece pads in the front and they worked great at the track but the car sounded horrible when I was on the street and applied the brakes. Is the one piece design still the way to go or do the padlets work better? Does anyone make a pad the works well for the track but is still quite in the street or is that wishful thinking?
I loved both my old ZO6's as track cars and I hope the Grand Sport will be as reliable, ( never had one breakdown or problem with either ZO6 ) any know problems or area that I need to keep a eye on?
Thanks in advance for the advice.
You don't need much other then:

Steel brake lines
Motul 600 or Castrol SRF
Brake duct spindles
upgraded pads...I run Carboteck Xp20 / XP10
some run Hawk DTC pads

you have the dry sump so you are ready for the track..

You will have a hard time leaving the pads on if your worried about the noise...The Hawk HP-plus pads seemed to work good for both track and street for noise but they are not as good as the DTC pads on the track..but they are much better then stock pads

Tom
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Good info Racingswh, I'm just going to use up my '12 GS's existing rotors/pads & then upgrade. I'm a **** for 2-piece rotors & the DBA 5000's are looking very good.

Question, are you still running stock suspension?.
I switched to a 2 piece rotor and I like them.

I run the stock suspension as of now. It may be something I consider after the seats and harnesses. I am installing that as well as a set of spindle attached front brake ducts I picked up from a forum member.

What I really need now is seat time. My next event is Pocono with Riesentoter-PCA September 14-16th. We're even using the Nascar Tri Oval a couple sessions. I am looking forward to it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 Grand Sport Track Advice

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand Sport Track Advice