Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timken bearings or do I HAVE to go SKF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Timken bearings or do I HAVE to go SKF?

First off, can I replace the wheel speed sensor in my front SKF hubs? It looks like the one in there is shot. If I can't, and I have to replace the whole hub/bearing assembly, will a Timkin last or should I just get another SKF? The Timken seems a reasonably priced alternative, but if I gotta replace it every year, I'll spend the extra bucks.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

what size and compound tires do you use?
How many events per year?
2 piece front discs?
Are you a good driver?
Do you compete?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Conti Slicks, lots of events, maybe 15 or more this year, car is track only. 2 piece front rotors. I think I'm a good driver, but that's pretty subjective. I know where you are going with that. Right now I've got stocks on the rear and they have held up. Just really wincing at that $350 bill for one bearing, just because the wheel speed sensor is shot (bearing is ok).
Old 08-28-2012, 09:43 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

With your usage, I would recommend the SKF. Look at it this way, what's your entire year track budget ? What is the cost of a top quality hub assembly ? SKF = peanuts in the entire scheme of things.
Check your wire leads and connector from the sensor carefully. I have seen broken wires and corroded connections give folks fits and lead them to believe that the hub needs to be replaced.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I've got another thread going on this but basically I lost a hub bolt this past weekend, FR wheel was wobbling, and I lost that FR wheel speed sensor. I've already got SKFs in the front. I also eliminated the plugs from the wheel speed harness, they are all direct wired. Wires all look ok, I think the sensor was damaged when that wheel started realy wobbling, because I lost the ABS and front brakes all at the same time out on track. Anyway Joe at Phoenix is going to hook me up, I'll pick up a new hub when I'm out his way tmrw, and keep the one with a bad WSS as a spare.

Get notified of new replies

To Timken bearings or do I HAVE to go SKF?

Quick Reply: Timken bearings or do I HAVE to go SKF?