Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for composites?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:11 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Source for composites?

Ive been able to find carbon fiber online, but not locally (southeastern va)
Does anyone have a decent source for carbon fiber and preferably titanium thread reinforced carbon fiber sheet?

Id rather it be local (even if its just for regular cf), but I cant even find mention of the titanium stuff online.

Im toying with making an undertray/skid plate (may try 1/8" aluminum if I can even find that here locally at a decent price - not sure about any decent sheetmetal suppliers) since I took my rad support out a few weeks ago.

I may also do a cf or kevlar airbox if ive got enough material. Does anyone have an epoxy preference for high heat applications? In the past Ive used that bondo brand epoxy that you can buy at auto stores, but Im not convinced its the best option in an engine bay...

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Here you go.

Phone 828.632.5220

They're located in Taylorsville, NC
Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I'd use Dibond for the undertray ect. It's 2 layer of aluminum with plastic in between. 3mm total thickness. Piedmont plastics in Charlotte has it, as well as a generic version. Thinner and less stiff than Alumalite, but also cheaper. I use it for automotive and for commercial signs 4x8 sheet is under $100 and has an automotive grade white finish
Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

www.shopmaninc.com

I used these guys for years when I made carbon fiber mc parts. They were always reasonably priced and have pretty much everything.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the replies; I love this forum!

CFA does some crazy stuff with their weave patterns. Id love to use them for some stuff in the future. Definitely a good find!

I cant believe someone else had the idea of dibond. A few years ago I was trying (unsuccessfully) to find the stuff for a rally skid plate.

I found a local shop that sells CF, Kevlar, and Fiberglass, and ended up getting some really heavy duty thick weave fiberglass for roughly $1.64 per yd, (vs the $30 yd cf options).

Im going to try to do a front undertray/splitter and a rear flat panel/ very basic diffuser with 1/8" foam core. Hopefully if it turns out nice enough, that I can post up the results. If that works out the way I want it to, Ill try to redo it in the future using that hex woven carbon fiber and a nomex core.

Get notified of new replies

To Source for composites?

Quick Reply: Source for composites?