Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hero2 preferred settings w/ Corvettes vs. WGI sample...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:42 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Hero2 preferred settings w/ Corvettes vs. WGI sample...

Just got the Hero2. Audio is actually quite good mounted on the cage, but I get quite a bit of windshield glare. The sample below was set at 720, 48 fps, spot metered using a class 8 card. What settings do other folks use and suggestions on reducing glare are appreciated.

Several well piloted C6Z06's and my gimpy old C5 bringing up the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXrg...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by kmagvette; 08-30-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by kmagvette
Just got the Hero2. Audio is actually quite good mounted on the cage, but I get quite a bit of windshield glare. The sample below was set at 720, 48 fps, spot metered using a class 8 card. What settings do other folks use and suggestions on reducing glare are appreciated.

Several well piloted C6Z06's and my gimpy old C5 bringing up the rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXrg...ature=youtu.be
Edit... Sorry.. got it backwards.. I use the spot metering as well... that's produced the best result for me.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice Video! ...and ride.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

looks more like reflection off the dash more than from the window. try lowering the camera. also try cleaning the dash with something that will take the shine off it.

GL
Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
looks more like reflection off the dash more than from the window. try lowering the camera. also try cleaning the dash with something that will take the shine off it.
GL
The reflection off the dash is annoying as well...and it has not been cleaned in a long time Perhaps I am asking the camera to do too much as most of the picture is substantially darker than the bright portion of the image that is through the windshield; creates a metering challenge.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:58 AM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Nice Video! ...and ride.
MAn that look fun. Video looked fine to me
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

That isn't windshield glare it is over exposure on the outside. The spot must be too large or it is aimed at the wrong point. The inside of the car is exposed just right while the outside is over exposed. The only time I get that issue with my Sony is if I have the camera focused to get too much of the interior or I have the back light turned on by accident. The Flip doesn't have any metering control and the viewing angle is limited so the exposure is emphasized to the outside of the car.

I didn't have my camera going when you guys passed me like a high speed freight train at the end but here is what a video taken the session before looked like. It has a couple of the C6Zs from your group in it as well. By the way your student's wife was impressed with the ride and the Vettes zipping by.

Bill
Old 09-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Superbee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Keith
This is my camera mounted on the windshield in the same run group with an external mic mounted between the exhaust outlets, sorry window mount was a little loose. i had the same problem with glare when i had it mounted on my harness bar.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8j_-...hannel&list=UL
Old 09-03-2012, 11:29 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have mounted the camera in both places - under the halo and on the windshield. Tried both SPOT and CENTER settings. It seems that much of the glare depends on the amount of sun and angle of the sun at the time you film. SPOT setting works best. More times than not, the windshield mount position ended up being what I thought was better so I use that almost all the time now. My windsheld mount is inside the car in front of the rear view mirror on the passenger side - can't even see the camera from the drivers seat but you can still reach it for start/stop. For those few times I want to record myself for a couple of laps to verify hand or body activities behind the wheel, I just set up a second camera near the top right (passenger) corner of the windshield looking back across the car at me.

Get notified of new replies

To Hero2 preferred settings w/ Corvettes vs. WGI sample...

Quick Reply: Hero2 preferred settings w/ Corvettes vs. WGI sample...