Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quarter master street friendly clutch

Old 08-31-2012, 02:48 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default quarter master street friendly clutch

So who's going to be the first to try this? Over the last few years I've read good and bad experiences for just about every full size street clutch available for the c5/c6 with no consensus as to which one is ideal. This one seems to be well done and not undersize, which can be a pain in the *** for a street car. Looks similar to a proper race clutch, but larger diameter. Well designed with weight reduction and strength in mind.
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/quart...-4-a-7508.html
Old 09-01-2012, 11:39 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find the weight? Dang
Old 09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I don't see anything about street friendly. In order to be a DD it needs to have some weight but it appears this one only offers more power handling ability considering the starter ring gear is mounted with a skeleton arrangement and not a flywheel.

Although the clutch engagement may be less heavy and somewhat smoother, the real problem lies in no mass for engine smoothness when applying a load. This is especially difficult with almost all aftermarket camshafts.

Last edited by SouthernSon; 09-03-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 7 1/4" Quartermaster 3 disc Pro V in my street legal C5Z. With a little practice it is not too bad to drive around town.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the best street/track compromise clutch is the RPS Twin Carbon Billet (~25lbs incl flywheel). It can be slipped and is still light. I have one for sale b/c I swapped to a 7.25" which is a bit trickier with a tire trailer in tow.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I thought the answer was the c6 z06 clutch. Done & done. It's what I will use in my c5z when time comes.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Those weigh a ton.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I thought the answer was the c6 z06 clutch. Done & done. It's what I will use in my c5z when time comes.

Realllll heavy. I believe my setup weighs 38 lbs. C6Z entire setup is 60-70lbs?
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I figured as much, but it's really a have a cake or eat it. One or the other smooth & last long vs. touchy & light wgt. & short lived.

Be nice if one pkg could do it all.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:46 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What about the Pfadt Quarter Master?

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/240
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

The RPS is cheaper, has better (heat resistant) friction material and will slip whenever you ask it to.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I figured as much, but it's really a have a cake or eat it. One or the other smooth & last long vs. touchy & light wgt. & short lived.

Be nice if one pkg could do it all.

C5Z clutch with an aluminum flywheel? I used to run an RPS twin clutch in my gto and it was a great clutch.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Realllll heavy. I believe my setup weighs 38 lbs. C6Z entire setup is 60-70lbs?
Not a C6 expert here. Why is the setup so heavy, particularly in a car that has so many expensive things to reduce weight?
Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Most (probably all) factory clutch setups are really heavy. Probably mostly because of cost. The covers are all formed steel and need to be rigid to allow the spring to compress and free up the clutch disk. Using thicker steel is less expensive than doing the engineering to optimize the shape and lessen weight/material. The friction surface is typically a very thick cast iron piece. Flywheel is the same.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:24 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an ACT twin disk and I like it on the street and HPDE.

Last edited by RDnomorecobra; 09-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
The RPS is cheaper, has better (heat resistant) friction material and will slip whenever you ask it to.
My car is a full race-car. No need to slip very much, just wondering if anyone here has any experience with it.

Ben- where in Brooklyn are you?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I used it for a number of TTs and to/from events.
Zero complaints.

Brooklyn Heights.

Get notified of new replies

To quarter master street friendly clutch

Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Most (probably all) factory clutch setups are really heavy. Probably mostly because of cost. The covers are all formed steel and need to be rigid to allow the spring to compress and free up the clutch disk. Using thicker steel is less expensive than doing the engineering to optimize the shape and lessen weight/material. The friction surface is typically a very thick cast iron piece. Flywheel is the same.
Are you mad? You have no idea how much emphasis is put on materials, both cost and weight. I work in Body and we're concerned with tenths of millimeters. CAE is used to determine both geometry and thickness of the parts. It's an iterative process that takes months and months to come to the proper solution.

Heavier clutch components allow for smoother engagement and take-off. It's all about customer wants/demands in their perception of clutch feel. If you think they're just throwing cost and weight at every single vehicle off the line just because the engineers don't want to take the time to do their jobs, you're nuts.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Heavier clutch components allow for smoother engagement and take-off. It's all about customer wants/demands in their perception of clutch feel. If you think they're just throwing cost and weight at every single vehicle off the line just because the engineers don't want to take the time to do their jobs, you're nuts.
If everyday drivers can't easily drive the car, they won't buy it. A heavy flywheel and clutch provides enough inertia to get the car rolling easily. Performance is sacrificed for ease of use, not cost. Can you imagine the complaints from the car mags and owners if they put a light weight racing clutch in a new corvette? All you would see around town are a bunch of corvettes bucking and stalling at stop lights .
Old 09-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
What about the Pfadt Quarter Master?

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/240
For dedicated race cars we really love this Quartermaster clutch... however it's far from what we would consider street friendly. It will certainly get you around town if you need to, and up on the trailer when you're loading and unloading. That being said we definitely wouldn't recommend it for anyone looking to daily drive their car since it's got a really aggressive on-off engagement.

If you're looking for street/track clutch packages that still shed some weight you might want to take a look at the Mantic clutches that East Coast Super Charging has available. We haven't run any of the Mantic clutches in our own personal cars at this point, but after hearing about the success that ECS has had with them anyone looking for a nice dual use street/track clutch should definitely keep Mantic in mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quarter master street friendly clutch