Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CoTA's gonna have some mad drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Default CoTA's gonna have some mad drivers!

Just got this from Rick at The Driver's Edge;

Dear Drivers Edge Drivers,

I just recieved a phone call from CoTA's Manager of Track Operations, it wasn't the one I wanted to get.

In short CoTA's executives have decided to cancel all "YES ALL" track rentals. They have decided NOT to rent the track, they plan to go in a diffrent direction.

TDE had a tentative date in January that I wasn't going to be able to make in any case, but I know there are a lot of organizations that were working hard to get time on the track.

Bummer!

Regardless, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Mike
Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

With their financial situation, that seems to be short sighted. HPDE and club rentals could be a substantial income over a year's time.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I frankly was surprised when they started reserving weekends the first full year of operation. I expect that after of year of "exclusivity" things will open up.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard COTA executives have cancelled the MVP Tracktime event as well as the planned BMW, PCA, and others.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if this is their "different direction"

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/visit/track-rental

They will try this and then when they can't fill these dates anymore, we will get our shot.

That's fine, I can wait.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

50K, that's insane

make Road America's deal with basically the same thing look cheap at 14k
Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Guys, apparently COTA hired Mr Scrooge to run their business and could care less about track enthusiasts like us and want to squeeze every penny from blue blood folks that can pay thousands of dollar a day to do circles there. If COTA don't reverse the course and get their head out of their *** and treat us with respect then we will boycott the damn track. They can get away with it for couple months until the novelty wears off then they will realize the country is still trying to crawl out of a recession and they need all the support they can get from EVERYBODY to keep it afloat.

Someone at COTA better pick up a business 101 text book and do some reading. You can't get any worst than this - canceling track events that's already agree on right before the holiday. Apparently they could care less about making the naughty list
Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow they could rake in a million or 2 with just private hpde track rentals most likely over the year and HPDE would take minimal operating expense i would think.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Sorry to hear, and hoping it changes. I was signed up with MVP and thought the entry was a bargain at $800 for 3 days and an extra $200 for a pit garage for the event. Paid more than that for a 2 day event this summer at autobahn.
You can't find a more classless act then what COTA just did to hundreds of track enthusiast. There are people that bought tow vehicles just so they can make the event
Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
You can't find a more classless act then what COTA just did to hundreds of track enthusiast. There are people that bought tow vehicles just so they can make the event
Hell i am not doubting it, i was thinking of trying to line up some guys to even load up an enclosed semi just to get on the track down there. now I am glad i didnt worry about it.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Well if true then I'll just stay at MSR and save the expense. COTA is new and appears to be a great track, but in time how will it stack up against Road Atlanta, Road America, Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Mosport, VIR and need I go on. If this is true I will also boycott spectator events, not that they wil care.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 AM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Or maybe they'll put on their own driving events..rather than rent to others ?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear, and hoping it changes. I was signed up with MVP and thought the entry was a bargain at $800 for 3 days, and an extra $200 for a pit garage for the event....paid more than that for a 2 day event this summer at autobahn.
I doubt it will help, but everyone should post their opinions on COTA's FB page.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Sorry to hear, and hoping it changes. I was signed up with MVP and thought the entry was a bargain at $800 for 3 days, and an extra $200 for a pit garage for the event....paid more than that for a 2 day event this summer at autobahn.
I doubt it will help, but everyone should post their opinions on COTA's FB page.
will do!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:27 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I've already posted on their Facebook page. I got to do about 5 hot laps at the Cadillac event there a few weeks back. It is the best track I've ever run on by far. Was looking forward to signing up on the Drivers Edge event. COTA really screwed up and destroyed a lot of goodwill with this very shortsighted move.

At this point, I am not planning on attending as a spectator for ANY of their events due to this decision.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:33 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I've already posted on their Facebook page. I got to do about 5 hot laps at the Cadillac event there a few weeks back. It is the best track I've ever run on by far. Was looking forward to signing up on the Drivers Edge event. COTA really screwed up and destroyed a lot of goodwill with this very shortsighted move.

At this point, I am not planning on attending as a spectator for ANY of their events due to this decision.
good for you! what a bunch of short sighted people at COTA.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I wonder if this is their "different direction"

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/visit/track-rental

They will try this and then when they can't fill these dates anymore, we will get our shot.

That's fine, I can wait.
Admittedly the info I got was from back in November when Rick (TDE founder) was quoting numbers, but the $50k was only for the track. You still had to pay CoTA for their safety crews, emergency personnel, etc. So it was a bit more than $50k/day.

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To CoTA's gonna have some mad drivers!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oldstyleGS
50K, that's insane
and UP TO 24 people.

ie private corporate events / big money fund raisers

give them a year, the track will be available
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Man that bites!
Glad I had to work the MVP weekend so I wasn't tempted to sign up.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:01 AM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No one has posted this on any other web or driving school site. Hope it is not true .

Quick Reply: CoTA's gonna have some mad drivers!