Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on installing a diff cooler on a C4 D44

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 AM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Advice on installing a diff cooler on a C4 D44

I am getting ready to istall a differential cooler on my D44 rear. I have a fluid pump already and amlooking for suggestions for plumbing it as i will need to drill and tap a fitting. Anyone been here and done that that I can get advise from? Thank you!

I have been changing fluid each race weekend and even the synthetic good stuff is pretty much cooked!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of track sessions are you doing ?
What did tou get for a pump ?
Im just interested ....
Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM
cwikstro
Racer

I am doing club roard racing, so 2- 20 minute qualifying and 1 30 minute race each weekend, sometimes a pratice day before too.

I bought the pump from a stock car vendor, they offer a few options made for diffs
Old 12-29-2012, 09:11 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Hard to believe you are cooking a D44 with less than 30 minute sessions. With 315 R compounds and ~500 hp I could beat the living crap out of mine for a full season and not even get close to hurting the fluid. Have you rebuilt it? Checked the clutches? Something seems way off to me if it is getting that hot that fast.

Sorry... no help on the plumbing from me.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with "Redls1gto" that you might have other problems but to answer your question..
Try ZFdoc in Arizona. I know they made some tranny coolers & I am pretty sure he did diff coolers.
Also Doug Rippie in Minn. They built many of them & could answer all your questions.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this was odd too. I have an all out race C4 with a stock Dana44 and never have problems. There has to be something else going on there.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM
cwikstro
Racer

It sounds like all of you are running without any cooler so that is good to know.
I didn't have any issues until I stepped up to full competetion, then during hot weekends running full tilt the fluid would boil out the vent a bit. The diff shows no other issues and was rebuilt a couple of years ago. maybe I need to pull it and go through again, but no noises or other signs of problems.
My main concern is that the amount of lube in these is so low, that more volume alone should be good. My C5 friends all run diff coolers and kits are easy to locate for these.
I will check with DRM and ZF Doc for info.
Any other advise here would be greatly appreciatted! Thank you.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on installing a diff cooler on a C4 D44

Quick Reply: Advice on installing a diff cooler on a C4 D44