Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Road Racing Aero Challanges

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM
RD in SD
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Road Racing Aero Challenges

I have an 09 Z06 that has been heavily modded for the track. 700 NA horsepower, Harrop Hurricane, Penskes, Brembos, Bearings instead of bushings only 2800 lbs. Super low rotating mass with tilton triple disk, carbon driveshaft, lightweight wheels and more.

I am in San Diego and typically run it at the local tracks such as Button Willow, Willow Springs, Parump, Vegas, Fontana, Chuckwalla and Laguna Seca.

Here is my dilemma. I have an APR GTC 500 wing with Gurney Flap (purchased from WebZ here on the forum a great seller by the way) and trying to find the right splitter / tray to balance it out. I am looking at LG, Katech and ACP. Does anyone have any opinion about which would work best with my wing and flap? I also want to vent the hood. The problem is that I have a factory ZR1 hood to clear my Harrop (and to show it off) so I need to find some cut in vents or some other way to vent the hood I have. I found some for a Mustang called Black Mamba (don't kill me) but not real wild about that set up. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited by RD in SD; 12-30-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

On the ZR1 forum I believe it is WHATCOP? had a thread where he removed the window on his ZR1 hood and replaced it with an aftermarket drop in vent that fit perfectly. I think that it was the same unit that LG used on their hill climb ZR1 also. Can't help you with any info on the appropriate splitter to balance out that wing as I run the gull Katech aero set up, which is balanced but if you are considering their front splitter/under tray I can vouch for the build quality,fit and finish which are perfect!

On a side note you mentioned that you are using the tilton triple clutch, is this by chance the triple disk carbon? If so how much time do you have on it and what are your thoughts as I've been thinking about going with one also???

Last edited by Werks; 12-30-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:43 PM
RD in SD
Racer

Yes I did see that and your right. However I want to keep the window in place. Also I just glued it in and removing it would I am sure damage the hood. I was thinking more along the lines of some cut in vents in the flat areas or ?
Old 12-30-2012, 04:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

The one-piece LG splitter is nice, but you will need to find a way to vent the hood or you'll just stack air in, AND UNDER, the engine bay. Also, I doubt you need the Gurney, as it is very hard to get the front to produce enough grip to need much wing angle at all, and adding Gurney to a low wing angle just adds drag.

not attractive, but if you search "Louvered Panel Rat Rod" on the auction site we can't talk about, you'll find a company that has all sorts of bolt/rivet in panels. Just stay behind the top of the radiator, and work around the areas you don't want to cut. As long as you stay behind the radiator, and not too close to the cowl area, you should generate some suction.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Last edited by bosco022; 12-30-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RD in SD
Yes I did see that and your right. However I want to keep the window in place. Also I just glued it in and removing it would I am sure damage the hood. I was thinking more along the lines of some cut in vents in the flat areas or ?
No idea in that regards, I'd be a little leery about cutting up my hood and trying to bolt on vents. Not sure that it would look good or for lack of better words "finished". Personally I use a Halltech Dread hood on my car which works great, look sharp and are really light. I know that he has a ZR1 version that might be done now (that has the watefal vent and the window that you are looking for). Found some pictures of your car and intake on-line, looks great! If you get a chance please let me have your comments on the clutch that I asked about in my earlier post. Feel free to PM me if you prefer to keep the thread on track.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 PM
RD in SD
Racer

Bosco who makes those carbon louvers? That is kind of what I had in mind but maybe finished a little bit nicer. Those Black Mamba ones for the mustang I found look a little nicer. I was thinking about something that would look cool I could cut and glue in kind of like the window. Just don't want to screw up my $3,000 hood.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RD in SD
Bosco who makes those carbon louvers? That is kind of what I had in mind but maybe finished a little bit nicer. Those Black Mamba ones for the mustang I found look a little nicer. I was thinking about something that would look cool I could cut and glue in kind of like the window. Just don't want to screw up my $3,000 hood.
I bought mine from GT-1 car builder Tommy Riggins (Riggins Eng. Jax, Fl), Tommy was the original designer of them. I think that HRP sells the same type design by Genesis.

I wasn't worried about my hood. it is one of the Howe Camaro TA2 hoods cut down to fit the Vette and was very inexpensive. Just a drop on type.

Last edited by bosco022; 12-31-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Road Racing Aero Challanges

Quick Reply: C6 Road Racing Aero Challanges