Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rotor temperature paint comparison

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default rotor temperature paint comparison

I noticed the AP kit sells for 200 dollars and the Genesis is 70 dollars. Is there a difference. Anyone using either one
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I don't know about the paint kits.

However, I've been running DBA 4000 rotors that come with thermo graphic paint on the edge of the rotor, like you can see below:

Butt....I've never been able to see the edge of the rotor when I come in from a session!!!

I guess maybe I could stick my little inspection mirror tool in between the wheel and the rotor, and maybe with a bright flashlight, and rolling the car back and forth, I could find the paint stripes and maybe be able to come up with some indication of how hot the rotors got.

Or, I could jack up the car and remove the wheels to see the edge of the rotor.

I guess it would be nice to know rotor temps so you make sure the pads you're running are up to handling the heat you're developing, but the Hawks or Carbotechs I run are their highest heat range pads, so there's not much I could do except maybe start working on better cooling ducts. Or put on ZR1 carbon ceramic brakes.

Overall, I haven't been having any pad fade or fluid boiling problems, so I haven't been worrying about the temps the rotors have been up to. I just run them until this happens, then I swap on a new one:

So, I've never used the heat paint stripes I already have because I just can't see them, I'm pretty sure they'd just show that I'm heating them up hotter than the temp of the hottest stripe, I can't economically run any hotter heat range pad, and I'm already running Castrol SRF (although I never had any problems with Motul RBF 600).

So.....I've never been too worried about the temps of the rotors.

Just MHO!!

Bob
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap Bob! How did that rotor not come apart? Bet you felt that in the brake pedal! How did Daytona go this year? Bet the smoother track is a bit quicker.

John
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by MNElectronBlue2002
Holy crap Bob! How did that rotor not come apart? Bet you felt that in the brake pedal! How did Daytona go this year? Bet the smoother track is a bit quicker.

John
Hi John

Daytona was as fun as ever!!! I did an event with PBOC in Oct, and the Audi/Hooked on Driving event in Dec!!

Yes - after the repaving the track is a lot smoother, but I don't know if it's any quicker. I was running street tires this year and was a few seconds slower than when running Hoosiers on the old surface.

Fortunately this rotor cracked after parking in the garage after a session.

In the past I have heard a "Ting" in the paddock/pits after a session when the brakes are cooling off and a rotor cracks.

I roll the the car back and forth a bit several times every couple minutes when I come in from a session and park in the pit area to get the section of the rotor out from under the caliper so it cools better.

I was doing about the second roll of the car and I heard a big "POW!!!" as the rotor cracked - the section that cracked was directly in the caliper at the time, so I guess the pads absorbed the shock of the rotor cracking and instead of a "ting" I got the "pow", and it was really loud!!

I'm looking forward to watching the action at the Rolex 24 the end of the month - it would be great to drive in, but it's always a great event to watch as well!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To rotor temperature paint comparison

Quick Reply: rotor temperature paint comparison