Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Speedline C5 Z06 Wheel Pitting

Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default OEM Speedline C5 Z06 Wheel Pitting

I was cleaning up my set of street wheels/tires the other day and noticed some pitting, it looks like it is a flaw from the manufacturing process. Has anyone seen this before? Common?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd worry about the pitting in the radious. I wouldn't run on that wheel.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Pit on the right is well inboard of the edge and I wouldn't worry about it. However, the one on the left is on the edge. You may want to watch that one for further stress cracking.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Polish out to relieve stress & move on. That's not from mfg. Fairly common. I have 4 sets of Speedline & most have a little of this.

Last edited by froggy47; 01-12-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:12 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Send it out to a metallurgy engineer.

Why worry about it at 140 MPH.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Polish out to relieve stress & move on. That's not from mfg. Fairly common. I have 4 sets of Speedline & most have a little of this.

Get the spot completely polished out and smooth/repaint. One thing you will find out quickly is if it is just brake dust eating into the paint or you have a deeper issue with the aluminum.

Bill
Old 01-13-2013, 07:01 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I would probably have to remove ~1/16" of material to polish that out, not sure if I want to grind that much off. If it is not from mfg, what causes it?

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Get the spot completely polished out and smooth/repaint. One thing you will find out quickly is if it is just brake dust eating into the paint or you have a deeper issue with the aluminum.

Bill
The PO had these on a stock 2004 Z06 and I use them as street wheels. I have a different set of OEM Speedlines that I use on the track with the same XP10/XP8 pads and I have no issues with those. Im not sure what could cause this issue other than a mfg flaw? The other 3 wheels on this set are perfect.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by stevensa
I would probably have to remove ~1/16" of material to polish that out, not sure if I want to grind that much off. If it is not from mfg, what causes it?

The PO had these on a stock 2004 Z06 and I use them as street wheels. I have a different set of OEM Speedlines that I use on the track with the same XP10/XP8 pads and I have no issues with those. Im not sure what could cause this issue other than a mfg flaw? The other 3 wheels on this set are perfect.
The inner barrel of any wheel is a very toxic/corrosive/harsh surface subject to an endless barrage of chemicals and temperatures one of which is brake dust.

The PO probably did not spend much time cleaning the area so these corrosive elements just sit and do their nasty thing (technical term).

Since "I" inspect and clean every rim OFF the car before I track it, I would have no problem street or track with the rim. Some folks have more "anxiety" about such matters than others & I can understand that.

As I suggested, I would polish out the sharp edges (grinding is a little more than what I'd do, maybe very LIGHT grinding with a fine cone shaped bit (dremel). If you want to make cleaning easier fill the dimple with something that will stick to the alloy & sand it down. Then seal it with a dab of clearcoat then WATCH IT. You will see if it starts to crack. These wheels don't just explode without a hairline crack starting first.

If you do this right you will end up with a dimple the size of a small o on your computer, much less than all the stampings etc. on the spokes, yes I know it's at a stress point, but still, I have see some CCW swiss cheese rims that would make you realize, this is a very small area.

Easy as pie.

Or just recycle it & buy a new one, your call.

Last edited by froggy47; 01-13-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Speedline C5 Z06 Wheel Pitting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Speedline C5 Z06 Wheel Pitting