Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports Wheels (and tires...)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Default LG Motorsports Wheels (and tires...)

I'm looking into options for new wheels and I'd really like to go with the LG Motorsports wheels. Of course, they only have the 18x10 wheels for the C5's. I have a few questions regarding this setup, should I decide to go that route. Let's keep in mind that this car is mainly an Autocross/HPDE car. It occasionally sees dragstrip days. I'm ok with it not performing up to par on drag days due to it being setup to take turns. Just out there to have fun.

1. How would having the same size tire on all corners affect AH/TC?
I assume the system won't even work correctly and that I'd have to disable it. I've had a bad yaw sensor for nearly a year now, so I've been disabling it anyway. However, I prefer everything to actually work...

2. Tire options.
I need something that will STICK. I'm sitting at 572rwhp right now, with plans for meth injection in the spring and more power later on. I'm assuming I'll be at 600+rwhp this spring. I drive the car on the street and like to stick with R-compound tires for traction. Currently, I'm using Nitto 555R-II's (305/35/18 rear) that work amazingly well. However, I'm having a VERY hard time finding a comparable tire that will work for 18x10 all the way around without having to go down to like a 275 from the 305 I'm at right now. The "ideal" solution would be to go 305's all around.

3. How wide of a tire will fit on the front?
If I could fit a 305 in the front and not rub or cause any issues, I'd probably do that. However, I'm sure there are other things I may not be considering. How does this affect the turning circle and quick turn in (Autocross)? How bad will the tramlining be on the street? Will the front tires stick out and kick rocks up the side of my car?

4. How much better is having same size wheels on all corners than the factory setup?
If you guys think it's better, I want to know WHY. Feel free to go into detail and explain how this works.

I'd love to hear all your thoughts on this. I've been considering it for a long time and just keep on sticking with the original wheels. In the end, if there is no true benefit to doing these wheels...I'll just powdercoat my stock wheels and call it a day.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 01-19-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:42 PM
dreamscometrue
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I run 18" wheels on all corners with 275/35/18 front and 305/35/18 rears with Toyota r888 tires and really like the set up and don't have any issues with active handling. There are generally more tire choices in 18" sizes which is why people prefer to run 18" wheels.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I like my NT05s, but I have 17" fronts, 18" rears and ~440 rwhp. With your rwhp, if you are looking for street legal, I agree with Dreamscometrue. I know a lot of guys that run R888 at the track and love them. It is as sticky as you can get and still be street legal. Someone on the forum is selling new sets of 18" C5z06 wheels - 4 for~$1,000. Might be a good combo.

Dreamscometrue - How much track time are you getting out of your R888s?

Chris
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 AM
dreamscometrue
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got them new and was oly to run two events on them, 12 HPDE sessions at 30 minutes each. They still have plenty of life left, I'll find out more this coming season.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Motorsports Wheels (and tires...)

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports Wheels (and tires...)