Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 PM
kel
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Cleaning Enclosed Trailer

What does everyone use to clean and wax the exterior of your trailer?

Mine is an ATC 36' gooseneck with a white exterior. I've neglected this trailer a little bit as I've owned it form almost three years and I've never waxed it.

It's an all aluminum trailer and I hope to keep it for many years.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Make it easy on yourself.

http://www.skygeek.com/am-kit.html
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't know about Skygeek, I should try that next time I wash a trailer of mine. My current one is so big, I have it done at the truck wash.

When I had a 40' gooseneck, I would wash it down with regular car wash, then use LA's Awesome to remove the "graying" that built up on the sides. Then I would wax it with Mequires car polish.

It would clean up really well, so the time is well worth it. The first step (wash) was fast, maybe a 1/2 hour. The second was the hardest, depending on how much staining is present. The third was an easy, but time-consuming, job. It is is sunny, your eyes will be hurting because of the brightness of the white trailer sides.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

A friend told me and demonstrated a cleaner named "Korkay" on my trailer. It was marvelous. Just spray it on about a 1 foot square, let it set for about 10 seconds, then wipe it off. No fuss, no muss. I did my whole trailer and it was a black streaked mess, but afterwards it was clean again.

Just Goolge Korkay cleaner for a distributor.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My 20' enclosed trailer is black. I was told that most all enclosed trailer manufacturers use automotive-grade paint on the aluminum skin.

The nose of the trailer will get the most abuse so use a good quality car wash soap, rinse well and then towel-dry. Use a good quality auto wax or even a paint sealant. For the sides and rear ramp you can use a spray-on wax.

I use Griot's Garage Paint sealant on my trailer. This typically lasts a full season.

Once I apply the sealant, I'll use their Spray-On Wax after washing the trailer. It's easy to apply and provides a really nice shine. I also use both products on my Silverado tow vehicle (also black)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM
kel
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Don't know about Skygeek, I should try that next time I wash a trailer of mine. My current one is so big, I have it done at the truck wash.

When I had a 40' gooseneck, I would wash it down with regular car wash, then use LA's Awesome to remove the "graying" that built up on the sides. Then I would wax it with Mequires car polish.

It would clean up really well, so the time is well worth it. The first step (wash) was fast, maybe a 1/2 hour. The second was the hardest, depending on how much staining is present. The third was an easy, but time-consuming, job. It is is sunny, your eyes will be hurting because of the brightness of the white trailer sides.
That's pretty much what I did and used. I didn't have a lot of black streaks but the awesome product removed what I did have pretty good. I have some black areas on the rear door and nothing seems to get it off.

Overall the trailer is more oxidized than I thought. Although the wax helped I need something a little stronger to bring all the shine back.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning Enclosed Trailer

Quick Reply: Cleaning Enclosed Trailer