Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about your helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tell me about your helmet.

What helmet do you race with?
What do you like about it?
What DON'T you like about it?
Where did you get it?

Old 01-26-2013, 09:25 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I currently have a Pyrotect Pro Airflow SA2010 that I bought last year.

I had been using Bell Mag-4 open-face helmets but I got tired of getting stuff hitting me in the face during track days, I decided it was time to go to a full-face design.

The only drawback to a full-face helmet for me is that I have to wear glasses. I have to remove my glasses, put the helmet on and put the glasses back on. Sort of a pain, but no more getting hit. One I got used to this drill, it's not a problem anymore.

There are a variety of helmet vendors you can check out. I got mine from SoloRacer. Helmet City is another good online source. Pyrotech also sells online and they are located in Bend Oregon.

I have found that not all helmets are sized the same. What is a "Large" in one brand may fit more like a "Medium" in another brand. Here's the Pyrotect sizing chart
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I use Bell helmits exclusively, usually the Pro Series,
Had a big impact with one on (upside down in an open wheel).

www.bellracing.com

Currently have an M4 (w/glasses) that I use for instructing. Bells are sizes by your head measuremants (not small, med., etc.).

There are other brands out there that are just as good.

The most important thing is to try it on before you buy. There's a big difference in having a good fit vs having an OK fit.

http://racinghelmets.net/cartgenie/p...20properly.asp

Snell SA2010 of course.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

1) Bell M 4 here.
2) Fits well and price was reasonable
3) Nothing I dont like about it
4) Apex performance

If you have not bought many helmets before, You really should go to a local place and try them on. Shape can be different, clearance from your nose.....

If you wear glasses, make sure they have a channel for the frames to slide in.

Lighter is better.

I think Apex performance has a "how to buy a helmet" article on their home page.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
1) Bell M 4 here.
4) Apex performance

If you have not bought many helmets before, You really should go to a local place and try them on. Shape can be different, clearance from your nose.....

Lighter is better.

I think Apex performance has a "how to buy a helmet" article on their home page.

1-3 the same here
I bought mine at the track from Discovery Parts to replace an SA2000 that was going out of date.

You have to try them on!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Where did you get it?

Just got one of these yesterday and it looks nicer than the Bell and Arai that I have had in the past, they offer integrated electronics and hydration systems as well.

http://www.stilo-usa.com/

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
Old 01-26-2013, 11:10 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I use the Bell Sport for HPDE. I bought it from Discovery Parts. They said if it didn't fit to return it. It fits great and I can't think of any negatives.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently bought this full face helmet from Apex Performance and was extremely pleased with the service. The product looks and fits as well as my former Gforce helmet. The only thing that bothers me is the shield is hard to open but this is my first full face helmet so that may be normal for the design.
http://www.apexperformance.net/prod-2032.htm
Old 01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
kel
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

Bell here as well. I use a GTX style.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:16 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I have used Shoei, Simpson and Bell. All were years apart and fit much differently each time I tried them on. I recommend trying them on. For my fat head....it DOES make a difference. I would not buy a helmet without trying it on first...JMHO....
Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM
CTZoom
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMP Speed 10 here. You can purchase all new interior padding for it too so every season I start with a new smelling helmet!
http://www.ompracing.it/detail.html?productcode=SC756
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My most recent one was is a Bell. You should really visit a shop that has multiple brands as they all fit differently. I have a large-ish head and one size's XL was another's M.

Since I see you're in washington, you might check out Speedware (http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/). I actually bought my last helmet there when I was in town for a conference. They had a pretty nice selection of different brands and options in stock.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I went with an Impact 1320 from a local Circle Track parts supplier. Makes it easy. He orders the helmets in and you try them on until you get one that fits right. He helps you judge whether or not the helmet is tight enough. My very first SA95 helmet from Simpson was my hat size but since then all of the helmet manufacturers have gone to the small, medium, large sizing for the low cost helmets and I end up getting a helmet that is a little too tight or a little too loose. I think I tried a total of 6 helmets from Simpson and Impact before I made my final selection.

http://www.impacthelmets.com/race-he...20-helmet.html

I like the Impact even though it might be just a little too tight.

Bill
Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got a Shoei full face motorcycle helmet for dual use. Fits and feels great, been using them for years. There are not cheap, but seem to be a very solid product.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:50 AM
CodeBlack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bell m4 pro with three different anti fog shield. Clear for rain, medium and dark. The helmets good til 2015 but I'm researching the bell HP3 formula 1. I know they're a ton of money but if It's going to perform light years ahead of the m4 in an impact its worth the investment. When I spoke to bell regarding the comparisons they would only say the HP3 was formula spec but wouldn't admit to it performing better in a crash.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:42 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
1) Bell M 4 here.
4) Apex performance

Lighter is better.

Same here...

Ian
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an HJC Si12 SA2010. Things I love about it are the light weight and the fit. The only thing I really dislike is that it doesn't have a removable lining so it's a little more challenging to clean. Good excuse to always wear a balaclava I guess.

Fit is paramount! Try on as many different brands and sizes as you can before buying. I highly recommend going to a local race shop if you can and having an expert help you with fit. The nicest helmet in the world won't do **** for your safety if it falls off your head in an impact!

Last edited by Ludedude; 01-27-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tell me about your helmet.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I wear a balaclava (head sock) so it's important to wear that or whatever you will actually be wearing on track in the car, so that you have a chance to see (feel) if there are any pressure points or if you will be comfortable on a long race.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Where did you get it?

I have the G-Force Hybrid. It is 1/2 open face and 1/2 full face. With my sunglasses on, my face is almost completely covered, but still breathes extremely well. I have had no issues with in almost 5 years. For $199 it was worth it. Been too long to remember where I got it.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

While I know it's not ideal I'm still using a Shoei motorcycle helmet I had fitted for a Hans. 1) I didn't want to fork out big money for a helmet again and 2) I had a passenger puke all inside my spare car helmet so I that went to auto heaven.

Eventually, I'm going to get a new car rated helmet. Although personally at the DE level when you're not wearing anything else fire retardent and no cage I'm not sure that it really makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Tell me about your helmet.