Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Splitter Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Wild Horzes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Splitter Suggestions

Looking for some suggestions. I don't want to get into coilovers and big wings. Right now I'm all T1 kit with a Blaine Fab small rear spoiler that works well at keeping the rear end much more stable during braking. But, the front gets a little light at the top of the esses at VIR for example.

I've heard if I get into a big front splitter I'll need a wing then have to change over to coil overs which I don't want to do at present. Wondering if there is a solution that would give me a bit of downforce without challenging the T1 parts.

I added a world challenge hood at one time which helped a tiny bit (I guess) but the fit was so bad I couldn't take it.

Again, suggestions would be welcome. Also, is there any benefit to venting the front fender wells through the hood? I've seen people add vents to the hood above a rectangular cut through the top of the fender well to pass fender well air out the hood.

Maybe I should just cut up some sheet metal and make my own smaller splitter with maybe canards?? I'm quite the dummy in this area.

Thanks for your help!

Gary
Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So am I, a dummy in this area, but from all the threads I looked at once you do that you are basically converting it to a front breather. You can't just add a splitter/undertray and call it a day. Best bet is to probably buy a front end from ACP or BlackDog that essentially does just that. There's a ton of threads on this topic. Search for "aero"
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

example ... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-for-sale.html
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I made one. I don't have any pictures of the frame work that goes on the radiator supports. If your really interested, I can get more pictures. I have to mount the frame work to get the pictures. Mine is removable.

Steve A.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd love to see some additional pics of your home made splitter.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

who makes that hood? can't tell in the pic but are those real slots in there? that alone should eliminate some lift.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Adding a splitter is slippery slope. I've experimented with many configurations, designs and materials. In the end I basically re-engineered the entire front facia using an aftermarket ZR-1 facia made for the C5, repositioned the radiator forward, fabricated a new radiator support which also supports the undertray, vented the hood (and wheel wells), panned the plenum created by the new undertray (alumalite), fabricated new splitter supports which bolt directly to the frame and then utilized a NASCAR take off splitter ($50 or less from ebay) made from Tegris. The results were impressive. I run ST-2 with NASA and after analyzing the data from the 2011 season compared to 2012 I found the following (this is in conjunction with an APR GTC-300 wing) :

Top speed on the straights DECREASED about 6 MPH.
Top speed in NASCAR turn one INCREASED 22 MPH!
The aero push that clearly evident at speeds over 120 mph was gone.

Now that I opened my big mouth I should probably post some pics....huh?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MongoZ06
I'd love to see some additional pics of your home made splitter.
I have a race this Sunday. I'll take some pictures when I'm installing it.

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
who makes that hood? can't tell in the pic but are those real slots in there? that alone should eliminate some lift.
ACP. Those louvers are real.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans

Originally Posted by Wild Horzes
Looking for some suggestions. I don't want to get into coilovers and big wings. Right now I'm all T1 kit with a Blaine Fab small rear spoiler that works well at keeping the rear end much more stable during braking. But, the front gets a little light at the top of the esses at VIR for example.

I've heard if I get into a big front splitter I'll need a wing then have to change over to coil overs which I don't want to do at present. Wondering if there is a solution that would give me a bit of downforce without challenging the T1 parts.

I added a world challenge hood at one time which helped a tiny bit (I guess) but the fit was so bad I couldn't take it.

Again, suggestions would be welcome. Also, is there any benefit to venting the front fender wells through the hood? I've seen people add vents to the hood above a rectangular cut through the top of the fender well to pass fender well air out the hood.

Maybe I should just cut up some sheet metal and make my own smaller splitter with maybe canards?? I'm quite the dummy in this area.

Thanks for your help!

Gary
Get a 2" splitter from ACP which will go on top of your existing fascia.

Call kerry Hitt at ACP
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
ACP. Those louvers are real.
I want one of those. Drilled holes the fender wells also?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hi volts z06
adding a splitter is slippery slope. I've experimented with many configurations, designs and materials. In the end i basically re-engineered the entire front facia using an aftermarket zr-1 facia made for the c5, repositioned the radiator forward, fabricated a new radiator support which also supports the undertray, vented the hood (and wheel wells), panned the plenum created by the new undertray (alumalite), fabricated new splitter supports which bolt directly to the frame and then utilized a nascar take off splitter ($50 or less from ebay) made from tegris. The results were impressive. I run st-2 with nasa and after analyzing the data from the 2011 season compared to 2012 i found the following (this is in conjunction with an apr gtc-300 wing) :

Top speed on the straights decreased about 6 mph.
Top speed in nascar turn one increased 22 mph!
The aero push that clearly evident at speeds over 120 mph was gone.

now that i opened my big mouth i should probably post some pics....huh?

yep
Old 01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Wild Horzes
Racer

Mountainbiker - that looks like an ACP hood. How much trouble was it to fit properly? I have not had great luck with ACP.

Question: Is anyone running front and rear aero without using coilovers?

Thanks!

Gary
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Mountainbiker - that looks like an ACP hood. How much trouble was it to fit properly? I have not had great luck with ACP.

Thanks!

Gary
My ACP hood fit perfect. I just bolted it on. No adjustments or anything. Dealing with them is another story. Why do you think you need coil overs with aero?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Wild Horzes
Racer

My ACP hood fit perfect. I just bolted it on. No adjustments or anything. Dealing with them is another story
I bought a World Challenge hood from ACP. The headlight covers were like little wings. I could never get it to fit correctly. Sold it for almost nothing to an industrious racer who had an idea on getting it to work properly. Not sure I could buy anything from them again though it seems to be the only game in town. And I concurr with the 'dealing with them part'.

Your hood does look great though!
Old 01-30-2013, 05:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I want one of those. Drilled holes the fender wells also?
It relieves high pressure in the wheel-wells so you get more down-force or less lift which ever way you like to say it.. I made bigger holes with a hole saw and the placed SS screen over the holes to keep out rubber flying up. I did it about 10 years ago. Probably the first.

Last edited by John Shiels; 01-30-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks!

Gary
Yes.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
It relieves high pressure in the wheel-wells so you get more down-force or less lift which ever way you like to say it.. I made bigger holes with a hole saw and the placed SS screen over the holes to keep out rubber flying up. I did it about 10 years ago. Probably the first.
Pics John? Did you just rivet the screen in? would a rivet even hold the screen? Is there any benefit to this if you don't have a vented hood?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Splitter Suggestions

Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GettReal
Pics John? Did you just rivet the screen in? would a rivet even hold the screen? Is there any benefit to this if you don't have a vented hood?
I would not do it without a vented hood.

Rivets held the screen. There were pictures through the years on this section. I did 6 or 8 holes may be 1.25". Car is not here with me now. It is covered up as I redo the garages due to Sandy at another house 40 miles away. Also vented it out the side gills too.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I bought a World Challenge hood from ACP. The headlight covers were like little wings. I could never get it to fit correctly. Sold it for almost nothing to an industrious racer who had an idea on getting it to work properly. Not sure I could buy anything from them again though it seems to be the only game in town. And I concurr with the 'dealing with them part'.

Your hood does look great though!
The problem with the wing headlight hood is that no two cars are alike so it is hard to make with no adjustment to the headlight covers. I made brackets and got separate covers allowing adjustment. If I had the one piece hood I might have cut the covers almost completely off so I could of bent them to fit my car and then re-glass them when I was happy. Don't forget the headlight bracket if very adjustable and so is the cover. Not kerrys fault in my opinion if your looking for perfect fit. He makes the covers separate and you could bond them to the hood when happy with the fit.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-splitter.html

Quick Reply: C5 Splitter Suggestions