Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willow Springs - Feb 3rd - Anyone else going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Default Willow Springs - Feb 3rd - Anyone else going?

I'm heading to Willow Springs for a track day this coming Sunday (Feb 3rd). Anyone else going to be there?

It'll be my first time at Willow Springs and my first time in this car (2013 GS). As such I plan to just putter around in the beginner group on street tires (I'm not new to track days, I instruct for the PCA, BMW CCA, etc ). I want to learn the track and learn the car and it's no fun for anyone if someone is a rolling pylon blocking traffic in the Advanced group.

Other than swapping brake fluid, fresh Mobil 1, and switching to Amsoil in the transmission (MN6), the car is 100% stock, right down to the air in the tires. Once my travel schedule settles down, I can get serious and run some brake cooling hoses, swap brake pads, get a little more aggressive with the alignment, add track tires, etc

Anyway, if you're going to be there, stop by and say "Hi!" or let me know what car you're in and I'll swing by. It's a pretty good guess I'll be the only black 2013 Grand Sport there with a WA license plate on the rear.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:27 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I had planned to go to test the race car, but it is only looking like a 10% chance for me now.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim - have fun with the new car and learning the new track. I somehow doubt you would have been a rolling roadblock in advanced group given the car and your experience, but safe choice you made. Have a great time!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Jim - have fun with the new car and learning the new track. I somehow doubt you would have been a rolling roadblock in advanced group given the car and your experience, but safe choice you made. Have a great time!
Thanks Brad!

The ExtremeSpeed guys ran a nice event. Clear rules and expectations for the drivers, run groups were kept on schedule.

The car ran flawlessly. Other than swapping brake fluid, transmission lube (Amsoil from Brad), and adjusting tire pressure I left everything else alone including the run flat tires, ride height and front camber that varied 0.5* left to right. The factory brakes had no issues. The advanced guys were running mid to high 1.3x with prepped cars and a knowledge of the track. I ran consistent 1.51s with the car as described and having never been on the track. Next time out I'll tweak the alignment and add brake cooling. It'll be fun just to slowly tweak things and see what happens.

At the end of the day, I loaded my tools into the back of the car, flipped on the AC and drove back to LA with the car no worse for wear

Last edited by 96GS#007; 02-05-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Thanks Brad!

The ExtremeSpeed guys ran a nice event. Clear rules and expectations for the drivers, run groups were kept on schedule.

The car ran flawlessly. Other than swapping brake fluid, transmission lube (Amsoil from Brad), and adjusting tire pressure I left everything else alone including the run flat tires, ride height and front camber that varied 0.5* left to right. The factory brakes had no issues. The advanced guys were running mid to high 1.3x with prepped cars and a knowledge of the track. I ran consistent 1.51s with the car as described and having never been on the track. Next time out I'll tweak the alignment and add brake cooling. It'll be fun just to slowly tweak things and see what happens.

At the end of the day, I loaded my tools into the back of the car, flipped on the AC and drive back to LA with the car no worse for wear
Jim

Please check out the 2013 Corvette Challenge. You can find the threads (started by me) in the SoCal section. We ran our season finale at WSIR. We will be at Auto Club Speedway in 3 weeks. PM me if you have questions.

DH
Old 02-08-2013, 06:18 PM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ws

Jim
How does the new GS compare to the C4?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GS023
Jim
How does the new GS compare to the C4?

Sorry, just saw your question.

It's night and day.

- The '96 was well set up, lots of power, etc. Having said that, just by virtue of not having a roll cage the chassis flex made the car a challenge to really drive at the limit, not to mention the other limitations of 30 year old technology. A full day on the track was pretty tiring...albeit fun and satisfying when a little ol' C4 was making hay with the big kids

- The '13 is a pleasure to drive. I've spent a lot of time in 2006/2007 Z06s so I must admit I knew what to expect going in. I characterize the C6 in general as point and shoot....it goes where you want it with a minimum of fuss. Certainly the run flat tires and an out-of-whack factory alignment are limiting factors, but none the less the car is easy and comfortable. As is well known, the factory seats provide poor lateral support. The brake feel is night & day compared to the '96, as is the steering. Are there better cars out there? Sure. Can brakes and suspension and tires be upgraded to blow away a stock C6? Sure. However, for the money, it's hard to pass up a C6 GS or Z06 for playing on the race track whether as a starting point or a something just to drive to/from the track and work without hesitation or worry.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 02-15-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Willow Springs - Feb 3rd - Anyone else going?

Quick Reply: Willow Springs - Feb 3rd - Anyone else going?