Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my seat, brake fluid & pads. Anything else?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:16 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Got my seat, brake fluid & pads. Anything else?

Looks like I'll make my first open track this Saturday.
I get my Recaro installed tomorrow and then Friday some Hawks + pads and Castrol SRF.
I have an oil catch can on the way with some Goodridge SS brake lines.
The next set of pads I will order is xp10's and 8's from Carbotech.
I like shopping around on the forum and finding deals so what should I look for next? Brake coolers?
I'm going to hit every HPDE I can at the four local tracks here in the NW. There is no doubt in my mind that I am going to love it.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by FruiTay
I get my Recaro installed tomorrow and then Friday some Hawks + pads and Castrol SRF.
I like shopping around on the forum and finding deals so what should I look for next? Brake coolers?
I'm going to hit every HPDE I can at the four local tracks here in the NW. There is no doubt in my mind that I am going to love it.

Thanks guys!
brake ducts and your good to go for a good bit of seat time
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Without trying to sound like a jerk, a good quality and good fitting helmet.

After that you'll need your wallet, checkbook, credit cards, retirement account and kids college fund - speed is not cheap. It is a blast though. Enjoy.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys!
Doesn't hurt to do a "ranger flush" on the clutch. The brake ducts mentioned already you will def want, for brake and hub/bearing life....skf's aren't cheap.

Did you get harnesses with your seat or planning to use the 3-point? If you got harnesses, which you should with a good seat, then you also need some type of hans (doesn't have to be the HANS brand as there are some hybrids that have great reviews).

Pick up a gopro if you don't have one...much cheaper to re-live it the second time and they can be good learning tools.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on the Ranger flush. The slave gets awful hot and you get a lot of clutch lining debris that get packed in there on track days. Use any reputable brand DOT 4.

Cost < $10
Time < 10 minutes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Without trying to sound like a jerk, a good quality and good fitting helmet.

After that you'll need your wallet, checkbook, credit cards, retirement account and kids college fund - speed is not cheap. It is a blast though. Enjoy.
You don't sound anything like a jerk
I did buy a helmet today and I love it! Great reply.

Last edited by FruiTay; 01-30-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by braknl8
Doesn't hurt to do a "ranger flush" on the clutch. The brake ducts mentioned already you will def want, for brake and hub/bearing life....skf's aren't cheap.

Did you get harnesses with your seat or planning to use the 3-point? If you got harnesses, which you should with a good seat, then you also need some type of hans (doesn't have to be the HANS brand as there are some hybrids that have great reviews).

Pick up a gopro if you don't have one...much cheaper to re-live it the second time and they can be good learning tools.
I am going to use my 3-point for now then get a stabilizer bar to attach the HANS. Thanks for the brand to look into.

Brake cooling is a must. I am also looking into some bigger front brakes. Brembo. $$ Jeeeeez $$ but

Gopro. Yes BUT have you heard of Replay? Check this camera out:http://replayxd.com/product/replay-x...camera-system/

It is more aerodynamic so it cuts the sound of wind and has some awesome attachements. I am also looking into this.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
+1 on the Ranger flush. The slave gets awful hot and you get a lot of clutch lining debris that get packed in there on track days. Use any reputable brand DOT 4.

Cost < $10
Time < 10 minutes
Oooh thanks for that tip. Hopefully the mechanic at Speed Secrets knows all about the ranger flush. I will ask him to do that, thank you.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

check this thread, may not need everything those guys listed for 1st time, but it does contain some things ya may not be thinking of:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-weekend.html
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I am going to use my 3-point for now then get a stabilizer bar to attach the HANS. Thanks for the brand to look into.

Brake cooling is a must. I am also looking into some bigger front brakes. Brembo. $$ Jeeeeez $$ but

Gopro. Yes BUT have you heard of Replay? Check this camera out:http://replayxd.com/product/replay-x...camera-system/

It is more aerodynamic so it cuts the sound of wind and has some awesome attachements. I am also looking into this.

If you have an iPhone- Get Harry's Laptimer app ($20) and a RAM mount. Why get just video when you can get data ?
MAKE SURE you have a QUALITY torque wrench. Hit those lug nuts before EVERY event at your HPDE-and most of all have fun !!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also looking into some bigger front brakes. Brembo. $$ Jeeeeez $$ but
Invest the Brembo $ in DE events for now. You'll get a much better return on your investment. Learn to maximize what you have first.

Is this a C5 or C6?

Get notified of new replies

To Got my seat, brake fluid & pads. Anything else?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my seat, brake fluid & pads. Anything else?