Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 coupe: 315/30-18 square set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
JonJ
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C6 coupe: 315/30-18 square set-up?

I’m looking at ordering a set of track wheels for my C6 coupe that I acquired this winter. Looking at the tire options and potential sizes that would work are dizzying. Originally, I was thinking of going with a staggered setup with R888. However, after emailing John at CCW, I have been thinking a square (tire) setup would open my tire options up significantly.

Unfortunately, my all-time favorite bang-for-the-buck track tire the Toyo RA-1 doesn’t come in the right sizes. My next favorite has to be the Nitto NT01 in a 315/30-18. I’m not interested in running anything equivalent to a Hoosier R6 or more aggressive until I familiarize myself with the car.

Has anyone run a 315/30-18 front and rear? I have read about inner fender liner rubbing issues with this setup but only in one thread from a couple of years ago. Any other fitment issues?

Does the TC/ABS work with a square setup?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JonJ
I’m looking at ordering a set of track wheels for my C6 coupe that I acquired this winter. Looking at the tire options and potential sizes that would work are dizzying. Originally, I was thinking of going with a staggered setup with R888. However, after emailing John at CCW, I have been thinking a square (tire) setup would open my tire options up significantly.

Unfortunately, my all-time favorite bang-for-the-buck track tire the Toyo RA-1 doesn’t come in the right sizes. My next favorite has to be the Nitto NT01 in a 315/30-18. I’m not interested in running anything equivalent to a Hoosier R6 or more aggressive until I familiarize myself with the car.

Has anyone run a 315/30-18 front and rear? I have read about inner fender liner rubbing issues with this setup but only in one thread from a couple of years ago. Any other fitment issues?

Thanks!
Great idea to ask these questions. If I were you I would call the president of Livermore Performance Racing, Monty Anderson. He has helped me a ton with preparing my 08 C6 for the track. He tracks a corvette himself and really knows what to suggest. You may want to consider what wheels may give you the option for big brakes down the road and Monty can help you so that you don't limit yourself in the future. LPI Performance tel # is (925) 292-5523. He and his brother Steve know there stuff and are more than willing to help.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I run 315/30-18 all around on my C6. I use a 1/4" spacer on the front to minimize rubbing on the inner fender. You can also put stops on the steering rack. Most rubbing occurs in the paddock when making sharp turns. You'll have to turn the TC off. No problem with the ABS.
Attached Images  

Last edited by KY-Traveler; 01-31-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM
JonJ
Intermediate

Thanks Dirk! I will try and get in touch with Livermore. Sounds like he will have answers. I'm really looking for people with real-world experience.

KY-T: Great looking car! Is that a GS? Are those C5Z wheels? My car is a Z51 coupe. I think my fitment is different?

Jon
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
rigit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 315-18's on 18x10.5 Z06 rears on all corners of my C5 Z06, no problem.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

315/17 NT01's on 99 C5 with no issues. Doesn't even rub in the paddock like the the Michellin 305 slicks did. Understeer isn't a problem Start the video at around the 5 minute mark.

Last edited by crimlwC6; 02-01-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks!
I have a narrow body c6 like you and I have CCW track wheels. Max front width CCW will make for this car is 10". I've put a 315 equivalent on it and it's a squeeze and it rubs but it can be done. Note I have lots of camber, ground fender lips and liners, and yes it rubs on full lock with brake ducts and yes I've cracked a fender when I had a hard off after losing brakes. The tire I was running was a 305/660/18 conti slick which looked identical in width when placed next to a Hoosier 315/30/18 r6 but looked 1/4" taller. That extra height didn't help and may have contributed to the cracked fender. Point is its really really close with the narrow c6 front and may not be worth it to you given what I
just described.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran

KY-T: Great looking car! Is that a GS? Are those C5Z wheels? My car is a Z51 coupe. I think my fitment is different?

Jon
It's a 2005 Base Coupe with GS fenders and quarter panels added later. Square set up worked great with original fenders. Fenders and front fascia were added after hitting the Armco at Barber. Added the quarter panels so I could use C6Z wheels and tires on the street to clear BBK.

Those are C5Z rear wheels.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM
JonJ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KY-Traveler
I run 315/30-18 all around on my C6. I use a 1/4" spacer on the front to minimize rubbing on the inner fender. You can also put stops on the steering rack. Most rubbing occurs in the paddock when making sharp turns. You'll have to turn the TC off. No problem with the ABS.
KY-T, what tire do you run? I'm finding that the listed width of the NT01 315/30-18 is 12.6". This is even wider than the Hoosier R6 listed width of 12.5" in the same size. And I thought Hoosiers always ran wider!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 AM
JonJ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JerryTX
I have a narrow body c6 like you and I have CCW track wheels. Max front width CCW will make for this car is 10". I've put a 315 equivalent on it and it's a squeeze and it rubs but it can be done. Note I have lots of camber, ground fender lips and liners, and yes it rubs on full lock with brake ducts and yes I've cracked a fender when I had a hard off after losing brakes. The tire I was running was a 305/660/18 conti slick which looked identical in width when placed next to a Hoosier 315/30/18 r6 but looked 1/4" taller. That extra height didn't help and may have contributed to the cracked fender. Point is its really really close with the narrow c6 front and may not be worth it to you given what I
just described.
Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. Even with what you described, I'm leaning towards going with a 315/30-18 in the front. The only thing that gives me pause is the listed width of the NT01, which seems to be about 0.1" wider than other brands in the same size. Rubbing at full lock isn't a huge problem, I'm more worried about rubbing when driving at speed. Which, as I think I am beginning to understand, maybe isn't that big of a problem?

Any other narrow body C6 owners have experience running a 315/30-18 in the front? I think it is fairly established that the C5Z handles that size in the front no problem.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:47 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jerry,

Thanks for the feedback. Even with what you described, I'm leaning towards going with a 315/30-18 in the front. The only thing that gives me pause is the listed width of the NT01, which seems to be about 0.1" wider than other brands in the same size. Rubbing at full lock isn't a huge problem, I'm more worried about rubbing when driving at speed. Which, as I think I am beginning to understand, maybe isn't that big of a problem?

Any other narrow body C6 owners have experience running a 315/30-18 in the front? I think it is fairly established that the C5Z handles that size in the front no problem.
I meant to mention that Conti makes a shorter slick: (305/645/18) which is 15mm shorter than the one I am currently running. That shorter height will help in the rub department; both rub at speed and rub in the pits/driveway. Yes, I think the front end stick of a 315 is worth the bother, and the lack of max steering lock at low speeds is a couple of 3 point turns away from a remedy, no biggie!! I'd give it a go even at an extra .1 of width. Now if you were a waxer and couldn't stand the thought of grinding on the inner liner, then for a narrow body C6 owner a 315 front would be too much. Please post up your impressions if you run those NT01's up front. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran

KY-T, what tire do you run? I'm finding that the listed width of the NT01 315/30-18 is 12.6". This is even wider than the Hoosier R6 listed width of 12.5" in the same size. And I thought Hoosiers always ran wider!
Hoosier

Get notified of new replies

To C6 coupe: 315/30-18 square set-up?

Quick Reply: C6 coupe: 315/30-18 square set-up?