Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can I run antifreeze in winter at track?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default can I run antifreeze in winter at track?

How do you guys do this on winter track days? Its supposed to be below freezing at night this weekend but I have three days of tracking. Do you just keep antifreeze or do you still run water and hope it doesnt freeze the block... most tracks frown on antifreeze and wouldnt want to be in violation. Does water wetter lower the freezing point of the water to protect against freezing?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what are the track rules?

Do you want to risk the block freezing?

WW no
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you want to be responsible for wrecking a bunch of cars if you blow a radiator hose and throw antifreeze on the track?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

If you're just talking DE I would venture to say that 75% of people are running coolant. I've never heard a track mention anything about coolant either except when I was running bike days.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

If you run water + water wetter I've seen folks rig up a light bulb, blanket, tarp so the lightbulb is on where it won't set the grass or any dripping fluids on fire. The blanket and tarp is to keep the wind and air infiltration from getting under the car too much.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It would have to be below freezing for a long time to freeze an engine block to the point of busting.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
It would have to be below freezing for a long time to freeze an engine block to the point of busting.
not if your trailering or good wind at night.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People at De's are just driving street cars. There are tons of cars out there with antifreeze, I would run antifreeze at DE.

Racing is different.

I certainly wouldn't take a chance on freezing the block in any case.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Actually the anti-freeze helps cool the engine. A lot of dedicated racers run about 20% antifreeze to keep the temps down.

Richard Newton
Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

How below freezing is it going to be? If it's 31 degrees it will take a long damn time to cause any problems. You can throw a quick electric stick pad on the oil pan and plug it in if you are really worried.

Tonight its going to be -11 and tomorrow it will be -18 here in sunny Minnesota. Water gets rock hard in a hurry in those temps.

Randy
Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Timz06
People at De's are just driving street cars. There are tons of cars out there with antifreeze, I would run antifreeze at DE.

Racing is different.

I certainly wouldn't take a chance on freezing the block in any case.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

At a 2010 NASA Mid Atlantic VIR event, they announced in the drivers meeting a $500 fee for anyone (including DE) caught with antifreeze in their car. Talk about being able to hear a pin drop.

I'm not a fan of antifreeze at the race track. Excuses to use it doesn't outweigh the danger in my opinion, but that's just me.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

something else to be concerned with

http://www.hoosiertire.com/safetywarning/index.htm

FREEZE WARNING
Freeze Crack Advisory: This advisory addresses proper storage and use of Hoosier tires in cold conditions. Hoosier Tires, especially asphalt and hard compound tires, may experience Rubber Cracking if the tires are transported, crushed, flexed or stressed when frozen. The following guidelines are provided to avoid this problem.
1. Always store Hoosier Racing Tires indoors at temperatures above 32° F.
2. If tires have been subject to 32° F or less, allow them to warm to room temperature (about 70° F)
for a minimum of 24 hrs before tire is mounted, transported or flexed.
3. Always use spare tires not intended for future competition to store vehicles for prolonged periods
of time or winter transport.
4. If below freezing temperatures are expected, please consider shipping tires once more favorable conditions exist.
Do not use tires that have evidence of Freeze Crack Damage.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Actually water expands before the freezing point. At the freezing point it expands by 9%.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

If the temps are going to be just below freezing your biggest worry is having the radiator freeze. Especially, if there is a lot of wind. Had that happen on my old 55 Chevy. Engine ran fine until it got up to temperature and then the coolant wouldn't flow through the radiator which caused the engine to overheat shortly after. Had to park the car inside a friends garage for a while until the radiator thawed. Luckily, I didn't ruin the radiator.

Water in the block won't freeze anywhere near as fast. There isn't a lot of cooling surface and there is a lot of water whereas the radiator has lots of cooling surface and not a lot of water in the tubes.

Bill
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
VTcorvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
How do you guys do this on winter track days? Its supposed to be below freezing at night this weekend but I have three days of tracking. Do you just keep antifreeze or do you still run water and hope it doesnt freeze the block... most tracks frown on antifreeze and wouldnt want to be in violation. Does water wetter lower the freezing point of the water to protect against freezing?
I have run many events at CMP and they have never stated that antifreze is not allowed, and tech is very thorough. I bet you would be fine in HPDE with antifreeze. I have run a couple events there this winter.

I'm assuming CMP is where you do or would run?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd never be the one dumping anti-freeze on the racetrack. It simply doesn't belong anywhere people are pushing the limits. As pointed out in a previous post, the radiator is the biggest concern if temps dip below 32F.

I'd drain the radiator at the end of each day and refill with water/Water Wetter. Minor inconvenience to keep the racetrack safe.

Get notified of new replies

To can I run antifreeze in winter at track?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default EVANS Waterless Coolant

has anybody run this? claims to not have the slippery problem of antifreeze.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Just warm up the motor every few hours. Then you have at least 3 or 4 hours before it cools off.

I like the idea of "controlling" antifreeze usage on track.
You may run antifreeze, but if you dump it on track, I'm all for a $1000 fine.

If you dump it, and cause injury or damage to others, then there should be serious consequences.

I've seen many car wrecked by someone elses dump. That always concerned me.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Default Purity

Originally Posted by ZedO6
I'd never be the one dumping anti-freeze on the racetrack. It simply doesn't belong anywhere people are pushing the limits. As pointed out in a previous post, the radiator is the biggest concern if temps dip below 32F.

I'd drain the radiator at the end of each day and refill with water/Water Wetter. Minor inconvenience to keep the racetrack safe.
Draining the radiator isn't a full flush but it would reduce the purity drastically. Wouldn't that be enough? If the capacity is 16 qts and you add 1 qt antifreeze, you the freezing point will be something more like 20-25F. I have the equations somewhere.

I would not think dumping coolant that is 1 part dexcool 15 parts DI water is such a big deal. But I haven't tried a slip & slide test on that...

Quick Reply: can I run antifreeze in winter at track?