Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to w2w what tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moving to w2w what tire

I'm running A6's in TT now. Moving to w2w and with 30-40 mins. race time plus with warm-up and qualifying what is the fast tire and if using the A6 will I give up tire life? Do you get in to a second set of tires on Sunday?..... what is your thought on this and what do you run?
Thanks
G
Old 02-07-2013, 10:49 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gary,
Stick with the A6's! They will last just fine. They might get a bit greasy during a long race on a hot day, but it isn't so bad that it can't be managed. The benefit of the A6's is that they will be ready at the drop of the flag.....an advantage over slicks or any tire requiring heat. If you start with a new or newer set, they should last you a weekend. Ultimately your driving style will determine tire life!

Scott
Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Gary,

We run W2W and TT with pretty much 1 set of A6's a weekend, we will do the morning warm-up(s) with scrubs and swap out to sticker tires before the first timed TT session then leave them on the rest of the day. The next morning we put the scrubs on again for warm-up then put the fresher rubber on for the rest of the day. After the weekend we will swap out the "warm up" tires with stickers and the old sticker set will be our new "warm-up" tires. Depending on how rough the tracks are that you run at you may be able to get 2 weekends out of a set before they are ready to cord.
We usually only run 2 to 4 TT sessions in a weekend so we are not adding that much time onto the tires by running both.

Now depending on your car counts you may look into running the BFG R1-S (if they have the same contingency as last year) you only need 3 cars in class to win tires (vs 5 with Hoosier). From what I've been told the R1-S take a couple laps to fully come in, but you can get multiple weekends out of them - and with the possibility to win more tires with smaller class fields it has been tempting to try. Not sure what tire sizes you are running but you would have to run a 285 front and 335 rear with the BFG (vs the many options that Hoosier has).

Joel
Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Great info there Joel... I'll do some checking around on the BFG
Thanks
G
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Now depending on your car counts you may look into running the BFG R1-S (if they have the same contingency as last year) you only need 3 cars in class to win tires (vs 5 with Hoosier). From what I've been told the R1-S take a couple laps to fully come in, but you can get multiple weekends out of them - and with the possibility to win more tires with smaller class fields it has been tempting to try. Not sure what tire sizes you are running but you would have to run a 285 front and 335 rear with the BFG (vs the many options that Hoosier has).

Joel
Joel-
Have your guys run the BFG's and does the sizing of the bfg's make a handling difference? 335/285 vs. 345/315 although about $150 less a set over the hoosiers.
Thanks
G
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Rory has run the regular R1 last season for 2 events but he had to run a square set-up in TTA/PTA so the staggered sizing doesn't apply there.

I would be kind of worried that the 2" differance between the front tire width and rear tire width would make the car more likely to push.

My advice would be to start W2W with your previous set-up, if you have been running Hoosier 315/345 and you like that set-up (and more importantly it's familiar to you) then go with that at first. There's going to be a little bit of information overload your first couple of races, better for you to not worry about re-learning the car as well. After that try a set out on a track you feel really comfortable at, you'll have to do a little chassis tuning to get the most out of the BFG tires.

Joel
Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Good advice!
Thanks and happy racing season.
G
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't disregard Yokohama slicks either, good contingency there as well. I have not run them yet but what I hear is only great feedback. If we get enough cars for ST2 for MSR in March I'm going to pull the trigger on a set. They told me they would cut a little extra discount to racers who wanted to try their tires for the first time.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to w2w what tire

Quick Reply: Moving to w2w what tire