Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
CL02Z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock Question

Im taking my car to my first HPDE at Texas World Speedway on March 2-3rd and would like input on what shocks to put on my car im going to be running Ccarbotec xp10 fronts and xp8 rears brakes other than that i have a Halltech intake and Corsa catback. The reason i ask is i had a rear shock go out on me when i was living in Virginia and Gary Ballard (GBvette) gave me his take off bilstein sport rear shocks so i could get the car back to Texas. so now i have stock 02 z06 shocks in the front and bilsteins in the rear. What would yall recommend for shocks just replacing the fronts with Bilstein sports or i was thinking about getting the Pfadt Johnny Oconnell shocks and replacing all of them.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 AM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CL02Z06
Im taking my car to my first HPDE at Texas World Speedway on March 2-3rd and would like input on what shocks to put on my car im going to be running Ccarbotec xp10 fronts and xp8 rears brakes other than that i have a Halltech intake and Corsa catback. The reason i ask is i had a rear shock go out on me when i was living in Virginia and Gary Ballard (GBvette) gave me his take off bilstein sport rear shocks so i could get the car back to Texas. so now i have stock 02 z06 shocks in the front and bilsteins in the rear. What would yall recommend for shocks just replacing the fronts with Bilstein sports or i was thinking about getting the Pfadt Johnny Oconnell shocks and replacing all of them.
Unless you are just itching to spend $, for what you are doing I would try to find a set of low mileage used 04 Z shocks. A set just sold on here for $180.00 and, for an OEM shock, they are very good. Heck, they are very good, period.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You want to keep the shocks matched, so doing the Bilstein sports on the front is good, or the stock 04 z Sach's are fine. The Bilsteins last longer so that's what I'd get. Valving is the same, so there is no driving difference.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by braknl8
Unless you are just itching to spend $, for what you are doing I would try to find a set of low mileage used 04 Z shocks. A set just sold on here for $180.00 and, for an OEM shock, they are very good. Heck, they are very good, period.

but I don't think your current setup is a problem either since it's your first time. You should not be pushing the limits of your shock package on your first time.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
You want to keep the shocks matched, so doing the Bilstein sports on the front is good, or the stock 04 z Sach's are fine. The Bilsteins last longer so that's what I'd get. Valving is the same, so there is no driving difference.
Are you sure? A couple of years ago someone posted a dyno plot of several dampers. Bilsteins were almost the same on compression but offered more dampening on rebound (according to the graph...). I've searched and searched for that post but no luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by avizandum
Are you sure? A couple of years ago someone posted a dyno plot of several dampers. Bilsteins were almost the same on compression but offered more dampening on rebound (according to the graph...). I've searched and searched for that post but no luck.
Here it is..

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

The 04 Z fronts and Bilstein sports are very close. In the range up to 3 inches per second (which is where most of the effects on handling are noticed) there is essentially no difference. The Bilsteins are a bit softer at high speed jounce, but for practical purposes where they effect handling they are very close.

The Bilstein sport rear's are stiffer at high speed than the 04Z shocks in rebound, but the stock shocks roll off in stiffness at high speed where the Bilsteins keep getting stiffer. The stock shocks are tuned to eliminate any chance of harshness on small high speed bumps, which isn't as important to us. In jounce the Sports are softer than the Z shocks, so they will tend to ride better.

Bottom line is that if you already have the rears I'd just buy the fronts and be done with it. You could use the 04 Sach's, but they don't last as long as the Bilsteins (which last forever) so the few bucks extra for the sports are probably worth it.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I usually have Bilstein do my shocks. I give them weight, spring rates, etc and they calibrate them.

You really have 4 different settings: 1. Low speed compression, 2. High speed compression, 3. Low speed rebound 4, High speed rebound.

Speed refers to the velocity of the shaft not the speed of the car. You can go 120 mph and have slow speeds. On the other hand when I run Sebring everything is high speed. You can't believe how rough the track is.

Richard Newton
Track Day Blog
Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by braknl8
I concur!!! An alternate would be to buy two new Bilstein FRINT shocks to match the rears that you currently run.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

but I don't think your current setup is a problem either since it's your first time. You should not be pushing the limits of your shock package on your first time.

Normally true, BUT, this is TWS where turn 1 and turn last are onto and off of the banking which really slams the suspension. You do want good rebound control there, which the stock 02 shocks are notably deficient in.

Get notified of new replies

To Shock Question

Quick Reply: Shock Question