Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hints on adapting C6Z brake ducts to a C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Hints on adapting C6Z brake ducts to a C5Z

I notice that some folks have used C6Z brake ducts on C5Zs. They seem really cheap.

Any hints on installation?

I already have Quantum spindle pieces and 3" hose but I gather the stock C6Z ducts are just 2.5"
Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I notice that some folks have used C6Z brake ducts on C5Zs. They seem really cheap.

Any hints on installation?

I already have Quantum spindle pieces and 3" hose but I gather the stock C6Z ducts are just 2.5"
You can buy special molded ones from LG that have 3 inch tubes mounted in them or you can buy the Quantum modified stock ducts. Either way you are going to take a more expensive piece and cut it up to mount in a C5. If you buy a piece of 3 inch aluminum tubing you can buy the stock C6Z ducts and modify them with some cutting and snipping and pop rivets. I have a set of the LG ducts and it looks like the air flow through them will be better since they aren't as narrow as the stock ducts.

Bill
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I modded a set of stock C6Z ducts for my C5Z. It was a matter of fitting, then cutting, then fitting, then cutting, until it worked. Not really hard, but it took some time to get right. You are basically fitting a tube into another tube at a weird angle, constrained by the place where the tube passes through the wheel well. Pay attention to the clearance between the duct, the flexible hose you attach to it and the wheels you use, especially at full steering lock. Good luck!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Don't be afraid to take a sabre saw to the brake duct opening in the wheel well to get a different duct to fit. That is what I did when I installed the DRM ducts in my C5Z. Marked the opening I needed and then took the saw to it. Only took a couple of minutes.

Bill
Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the help folks, I guess it will be a bit of trial and error.

Not really sure why GM put in those big ducts that just go to the wheelwell on the C5Z. When you turn the wheel with a big tire, they direct the air onto the tire surface and no where near the brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To Hints on adapting C6Z brake ducts to a C5Z

Quick Reply: Hints on adapting C6Z brake ducts to a C5Z