Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Questions

Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 PM
mikek307
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Questions

Have been running Kuhmo's (700s then 710s) for years but considering some scrubs now. Looking for experience on the Continental slicks, and the Toyo R888's. Ran Hoosier R6's years ago but they seem to go away too quickly, especially around the edges. You input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In my personal experience the conti slicks lose 1.2 seconds on the 5th 30 min heat cycle. They can be used for many sessions after that sliding all over the place if you like. Trying to consistenly hit you marks within inches each corner while driving 10/10ths.. not gonna happen.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Continentals for track days all last season. Like anything else, your question is really dependent on the driver. When I first started out driving, I loved them. By the end of the season I was going 30 sec a lap faster, I'd get maybe 2 days and like Jerry said, lots of sliding. It's manageable, and I run them until they're dead, but your lap times show it. I run the 18x305 GTO tires. Going to try GTR this summer.

Last edited by moespeeds; 02-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Toyo R888's while seemingly universally hated were imho not really bad tires for our car. I ran 295/30/18 and 335/30/18 on my Z06 and got about 10 track days out of them before switching to R6's. Lap time wise I'm still getting used to the HoHo's but so far I'm only 2 seconds a lap faster with them (so 2:03's instead of 2:05's). I think that there are probably another 3-4 seconds to be gained with the HoHo's once I start to really take advantage of the increased grip braking and cornering but all said and done I would say that you are looking at giving up about 6 sec a lap with the Toyo's over the R6's which considering the life of the R888's and the fact that you can drive with them to the track if you want is not really bad if that is important to you.

No experience yet with the Continental slick but I have a set of GT stickers in the garage that I'm going to be running next after the R6's are done.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I used the Continental slicks last year and wore them out quickly, just a few track days. I think you really need to have your car dialed in to make them wear better. For example I don't have enough camber on the front for them and hence tend to wear the outside edges. On the rear it looks like I had too much air pressure and wore the center. I've got one more set to use this year then it's back to a more durable tire for me (HPDE only).
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM
mikek307
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. The Conti tires sure looked good, glad I asked before I ordered a set. Plan on ordering a set of Hoosier R6 scrubs and mounting them to take to TWS, run out the Kuhmos then switch to the Hoosiers to finish the weekend.
Thanks Again

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Questions