Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concensus on F body bearings for C4 fronts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Concensus on F body bearings for C4 fronts?

I have been at this for three years, on four forums, and what I have found is that SKF has the best reputation.

But there are no SKF available.. They don't offer C4 fronts any more... They did share that all the inventory went to GM, to fulfill GM's obligation to have parts for 1994 -1996... [ $356.00 or so] and in 2015 all that is left with GM will be purged to re-sellers.

The alternative is the F body bearing, 1997 -2003.... [ $168.00] same part except for threads in the spindle flange....

Superficially they are the same part and it makes production sense for GM to use a part in F body line.

Hard to determine WHAT is inside, though???

Can we get feed back as to the longevity of F body bearings ???
Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tracked my Camaro enough to find out myself, but according to the fbody guys that do a lot of tracking that is one of the weak links on the 4th gen fbody. There are a few guys that have even retrofitted 3rd gen hubs to the 4th gen cars because they are rebuildable. Pm me if you want, I can point you to some info on the web if you want to research it more.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
I haven't tracked my Camaro enough to find out myself, but according to the fbody guys that do a lot of tracking that is one of the weak links on the 4th gen fbody. There are a few guys that have even retrofitted 3rd gen hubs to the 4th gen cars because they are rebuildable. Pm me if you want, I can point you to some info on the web if you want to research it more.

Thought about that. May end up doing it if I get SKF failures ?
The problem I see is quality.

The SKF appear vastly superior.

I have reports of hubs failing as in Breaking In Two!! Not hard to believe when looking at the White Box part.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default hubs

Old 02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

I run the Fbody 97 on a 90, no abs. So far, the Fbody SKF seems to be holding up good, like the ACDELCO's later C4 bearings.

The two SKF's I've bought came in a box like in the post above. The first one bought, number on the flange matches SKF correct number.

Later, when I got the second SKF boxed bearing, the flange part number matches National. The forging down to the last detail looks like the SKF. But I sent it back and the replacement was the same National number. Thought I'd give it a try, it doesn't have as much time as the others, but it seems to be staying tight so maybe it's up to SKF standards.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:21 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Originally Posted by TJM
I have reports of hubs failing as in Breaking In Two!! Not hard to believe when looking at the White Box part.
Is spindle breaking off or wheel flanges breaking off?

I had a ealier C4 style bearing from National, not like the SKF style. Last so long that finally the flange broke off, luckily the wheel stayed on. Sounds all bad if it snapped anywhere else! Anyway, cracks in the chamfer of the flanges have become a highly inspected area for me.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by lbs90ZR
Is spindle breaking off or wheel flanges breaking off?

I had a ealier C4 style bearing from National, not like the SKF style. Last so long that finally the flange broke off, luckily the wheel stayed on. Sounds all bad if it snapped anywhere else! Anyway, cracks in the chamfer of the flanges have become a highly inspected area for me.
I heard about the broken hub from another. Never happened to us. Hubs halving... pretty much like the picture shows that discoloration on the Cheapo's.

But I have found that Bearings are a very incestuous business. Timken will use Moog, Ferdral/Mogul, Federal/National, and I think Canadian/National? Moog, Federal, and National all sell the same part as well? Like a big happy family???

All reputable, but a lot of parts from overseas and I am not "dis'ing" Timken, just lean towards SKF based on the consensus.

Timken C4 parts can be had for $128.00. I paid $168.00 for F body SKF, but the F body has the sensor in the hub, and that could be the difference.

We have an 18 year old in the car I will pay a bit more for the peace of mind.

Any way, just got done tracking down that clicking in the new motor. Broken exhaust valve?!?!!? 500 kind break in miles on a fresh motor. Not to happy, but I doubt I will make an issue over $17.00?

Glad I found it... going to Road Atlanta 3/9/13 for DE...

TJM

Last edited by TJM; 02-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by GS023
Salt for the Pop Corn.................

I have made a study of these parts, over the last three years.. Could not make sense of all that is written about the failures.

Bought a bunch here in Atlanta.. to compare. Here is sobering news.

You can get a cheap bearing in an expensive box. Seen it. Had them... did not use them, because I was just comparing this to that.

Won't say where I got the phonies, but they were not what was advertised. But how do you know?? The MGF is not stamped on the cheap ones?

Pretty sure there was a Box swap somewhere behind the counter.. not hard to fathom. Most folks can't tell, and there is a lot of the ; " Hey I have a warranty!!!" attitude.

Black market the good ones for $175 or so and bay $67.00 for **** Foo Chu specials?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
There are a few guys that have even retrofitted 3rd gen hubs to the 4th gen cars because they are rebuildable. Pm me if you want, I can point you to some info on the web if you want to research it more.
please share with the rest of the class
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Crepitus
please share with the rest of the class

I see nothing but honor in "outing" any company that's f&^%$#g around with parts that our lives depend on street or track.

We are a community here, if it was your next door neighbor would you advise then about a bad company to deal with?

I would.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Been running the rebuildable bearings I bought a while back

so far so good
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
GS023
Drifting

Brian
Are those bearings stlill available? If so would you provide me with a contact?

thx
Old 02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by GS023
Brian
Are those bearings stlill available? If so would you provide me with a contact?

thx
Here's the old thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/autocr...-bearings.html

He goes by
MJM Racing LLC
https://www.corvetteforum.com/member...acing-llc.html

Mike Minear
Managing Member
MJM Racing, LLC
303-710-9297
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
GS023
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Here's the old thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/autocr...-bearings.html

He goes by
MJM Racing LLC
https://www.corvetteforum.com/member...acing-llc.html

Mike Minear
Managing Member
MJM Racing, LLC
303-710-9297
Looks like he's been inactive for a while. Will shoot him a pm then try to call tomorrow.

thx
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 AM
opel
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

I ran the fbody bearings for 20,000 + miles. On the street, autox, tracks and hillclimbs with no problem at all. But that was on an 85 and the 85 does not have anti locks.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:00 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by opel
I ran the fbody bearings for 20,000 + miles. On the street, autox, tracks and hillclimbs with no problem at all. But that was on an 85 and the 85 does not have anti locks.
Our is a '90 front end... pretty sure? It's an assembly of parts.

I will have to butcher the SKF F body parts to fit... likewise need no anti lock. 1984 -85 are cheaper but no SKF.

Going to table top what MOOG and Timken are offering, next.

Funny detail. SKF all went to GM, but you get THOSE in an AC-Delco box!!!

TJM

Get notified of new replies

To Concensus on F body bearings for C4 fronts?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not use a fabed tube spindle stub welded to a flange and a billet hub? These are for a rear floater but somthing like this welded to a flange that fits the Vette knuckle?http://pitstopusa.com/c-134710-drive...es-snouts.html

fronts; http://pitstopusa.com/i-5055886-swee...3-4-rotor.html

hub example http://pitstopusa.com/i-5072009-cole...e-10-lbs.html;

Last edited by Crepitus; 02-26-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM
athornt2
Intermediate

I have no experience running F-body hubs on a C4 however I do race a 98 Camaro with NASA in American Iron. I go through hubs like crazy. I typically get 3 race weekends out of a set of hubs. I've been using junk yard hubs since they're cheap and the common feedback suggests that they last just as long as a new set from the parts store. Hubs are absolutely the weak link to the front suspension on an F-Body. A friend of mine is completely rebuilding his front suspension on his American Iron car so he can use late model hubs. YMMV but this has been my personal experience.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
MarkBychowski
Melting Slicks

Just curious -- has anyone compared dimensions from later (c5/c6) 3-bolt hubs? I wonder if it would be possible to re-drill / reenforce a C4 spindle to accept them.

Quick Reply: Concensus on F body bearings for C4 fronts?