Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
rigit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What the clunk?

help me figure this one out so I dont go buying parts I dont need. I got a clunk coming from the driver front. I can hear it on road imperfections, bumps, holes, etc. it started doing it after the last track weekend.

okay, I got my 02 Z06 in july. since then I have done four track weekends. my car is bone stock except I run a square setup (18x10.5 with 315 hoosiers) and track pads, and I put in a T1 front bar.

all four tracks run CW, so lots of pressure on the driver side.

I have read about upgrading hubs, do they clunk when worn out? or is this a ball joint?

oh and I thought it might have been the endlinks with the T1 bar, so I upgraded to the solid adjustable links, still clunking.

any ideas? Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 02:33 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

solid end links clunk after they loosen up a bit so unless yours are new loosen and check for play. also make sure they are torqued right. another source of a clunk can be a bad shock. hubs don't usually clunk
Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The noise could be any one of a number of things. You are going to have to put the car on a lift or jackstands and thoroughly examine a number of parts to find your noise. Check sway bar mounts, bushings and endlinks. Check shock tightness and bushings for condition and check upper mount bracket attachment to the frame. These brackets have been known to break the welds. Check tie rod ends for looseness or play as well as the ball joints upper and lower. Check out bushings on upper and lower A Arms - they tend to push out after track usage. Finally check torque on every nut and bolt in the suspension. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two things pop into mind reading your post. First off is running a 315 up front, you are probably getting some rubbing going on. Check for that.

Second, check your alignment eccentrics on the lower control arms. They are notorious for popping out when you start running the car hard with sticky race tires. I had this happen and had that same clunking sound when turning in certain directions during a session. Pulled the car and found the problem along with two corded tires.

Jay
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
rigit
Instructor

Thanks.

BTW 315's on on track. regular 265-17's on the street. and the clunking happens all the time on the street.

I jacked the car up on stands the other day and it clunks when I push the top of the tire with a good oomph (like kicking it). I'll be looking closer. wish I had the cash to just pony up for a good set of track bushings, shocks, and hubs. but not right now.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:54 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The noise could be any one of a number of things. You are going to have to put the car on a lift or jackstands and thoroughly examine a number of parts to find your noise. Check sway bar mounts, bushings and endlinks.

I have adjustable endlinks and after a couple thousand miles they were still functional, yet clunking in the rear. Just getting the car on ramps over a level surface and then pulling up and down on the rear sway bar showed a small amount of play which sounded like a click or clunk (surprisingly it was louder while in the car driving at 20 - 25 mph rather than right there under the car...) fwiw it takes a lot less wear to make adjustable produce noise vs the factory type.

one of the ways to slow down chances of wear is to use dry lubricants like graphite powder and use boots for the heim joints.

good luck!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sway bar endlinks were the culprit when my C6 started clunking. Replaced them with some heavy-duty adjustable ones and that solved it, although they have come to squeak a bit (a shot of WD40 onto the joints solves that).
Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 PM
rigit
Instructor

I think I found the clunk. lower control arm bushings. both front fwd look like this. they walked out of one end. metal on one side. and I can see swirl marks on the aluminum where its been rubbing. I guess its leaning over hard on sticky 315 hoosiers. time for a bushing upgrade.

Get notified of new replies

To What the clunk?

Quick Reply: What the clunk?