Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas World Speedway: ZR1 track weekend and spin

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Texas World Speedway: ZR1 track weekend and spin

I had a good weekend until the end when I realized my tires were effectively gone much sooner than expected. I did 4 sessions at COTA and the tires were incredible. Then, Saturday at TWS this weekend, tires felt decent. Sunday, first session was okay, 2nd session felt a bit looser which surprised me because the track was heating up at that point. 3rd session I spin off the track. Check out around 8:00 on the below video. The whole session (for those that want to watch), I'm sliding around through multiple corners. Grip was really, really bad.

And here's why (the rears):

Fronts aren't much better.

As a comparison to that mess of a session (vid above), here is a 1:50 lap I got on my very first session on Saturday. I hadn't been to TWS in a long while and I was still feeling the lines out and just waking up overall. This 1:50 lap was 10 seconds faster than I was running on the last session before I spun out. No grip issues at all. NOTE: Ignore the mph gauge as it was obviously lagging/not accurate.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

A whole lot of slippin and slidin going on in that video. Several good saves till you lost it at 8:00. Stick a fork in those tires, they are well past done ! Thanks for posting.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:36 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you make your thumb bleed!!!!???
Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 5280Racer
How did you make your thumb bleed!!!!???
I think it jammed into the steering wheel during the spin and it split my fingernail pretty good. It's fine now. Good observation btw!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

glad your ok.. seemed fun... I woulda smashed that damn evo and miata out of anger!!! its was entertaining watching your hand signals..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Corey the edges of those slicks are worn pretty badly. I'm told you need a very aggressive alignment on slicks to make them last or else you chew up the sides quickly and are all over the track. I assume your alignment is pretty conservative?

I may run slick scrubs at some point just to try them out for 2 or 3 track days but I will probably stick with DOT R Comps as I am told I will get more life from them with my conservative alignment. Most of the slicks apparently want a ton of negative camber so the edges aren't chewed up as fast in the corners.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:35 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn well atleast no damage to car, how much camber were ya running on these since ya got em??
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM
seebobgo
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
I think it jammed into the steering wheel during the spin and it split my fingernail pretty good. It's fine now. Good observation btw!
Ouch... You should try shuffle steering.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
HHughes1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Corey the edges of those slicks are worn pretty badly. I'm told you need a very aggressive alignment on slicks to make them last or else you chew up the sides quickly and are all over the track. I assume your alignment is pretty conservative?

I may run slick scrubs at some point just to try them out for 2 or 3 track days but I will probably stick with DOT R Comps as I am told I will get more life from them with my conservative alignment. Most of the slicks apparently want a ton of negative camber so the edges aren't chewed up as fast in the corners.
Minimum 3 degrees or you'll cord the outside edges when the remainder has plenty of life left.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I have only -1.2 camber, which means I'll be lucky to get two days out of slick scrubs, but I'll probably try them anyway sometime this year just to experience them.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So how many heat cycles total did you get out of them through Saturday before they fell off? These are pirellis right?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
So how many heat cycles total did you get out of them through Saturday before they fell off? These are pirellis right?
I think those are the big $$$$ Michelin slicks!!

Regarding the hands, one of the first things that I was told when I was fortunate enough to have a long time racer in the car instructing me was to never wrap my thumbs around the wheel cause you might loose them!

Last edited by Werks; 03-06-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 AM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, just took a look at your first video and one word describes it.......sketchy! Compliments on your driving skills catching the car but I would have pulled it after the first lap, not worth risking damage to the car or your self dealing with that let alone doing that with a passenger in the car!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I was flagging on corner 8 earning some free track time. You were very smooth even though I could see you sliding around. Great driving!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:25 AM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HHughes1
Minimum 3 degrees or you'll cord the outside edges when the remainder has plenty of life left.
Depends on ride height, spring rates, shocks. 3 degrees is more than we run in our race car and we have same amount of wear across the face of the tire with 170 to 190 degrees of tire temps in the front.

Last edited by vette6aut0x; 03-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dvandentop
damn well atleast no damage to car, how much camber were ya running on these since ya got em??
-1.75 front and -1.2 rear.

Originally Posted by HHughes1
See above on my camber settings. If you see the pictures, wear is pretty consistent across the tire, though if anything it looks pretty rough on the INSIDE of the tire which is quite odd?!?! I check both wheel wells and there is no rubbing at all.

Originally Posted by JerryTX
The 4 sessions at COTA were incredible. Sessions on Saturday felt pretty good, but I didn't break into the 40's which I fully expected to do, so I'm sure there was some grip degradation. Sunday, first session was okay, but was running 52's so grip wasn't there. 2nd session was pretty slippery. Passenger commented on why I had my car set-up to be so loose in the rear end. 3rd session vid is posted. Car was all over the place.

Originally Posted by Werks
I think those are the big $$$$ Michelin slicks!!

Regarding the hands, one of the first things that I was told when I was fortunate enough to have a long time racer in the car instructing me was to never wrap my thumbs around the wheel cause you might loose them!
Yep, those were brand new Michelin slicks S9H compound. Again, tires were epic the first 4 sessions, pretty good for the next 3 or so, and then fell off pretty fast.

Agree, I had gloves I was using, but I couldn't find them. That would have kept me from busting my nail probably. No biggie though.

Originally Posted by Werks
Wow, just took a look at your first video and one word describes it.......sketchy! Compliments on your driving skills catching the car but I would have pulled it after the first lap, not worth risking damage to the car or your self dealing with that let alone doing that with a passenger in the car!
Passenger in car is crazier than me (Andi), so he didn't mind. I agree I should have pitted sooner, but I thought it would smooth out and grip would come as I got more heat in the tires. haha.

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
I was flagging on corner 8 earning some free track time. You were very smooth even though I could see you sliding around. Great driving!
Thank you, sir, and thanks for flagging! You live local? If I was closer, I'd be all over flagging for free track time.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

need more camber to get better longevity out of them IMHO and from what i have seen on 2 sets of mine.

did you always reset to 22lbs before sessions and get them to 30 hot??? that is another big thing to do.

also assuming you are on stock bushings? if so probably losing out alot of the camber in hard corners due to deflection
Old 03-07-2013, 10:56 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dvandentop
need more camber to get better longevity out of them IMHO and from what i have seen on 2 sets of mine.

did you always reset to 22lbs before sessions and get them to 30 hot??? that is another big thing to do.

also assuming you are on stock bushings? if so probably losing out alot of the camber in hard corners due to deflection
Yes, suspension is stock. I seemed to have fairly even wear across both sets of tires. I think the ZR1 magnetic suspension is quite a bit stiffer than even the Z07/Z06 mag suspension. The calibration is different from what I've been told. For a stock suspension to not rub or roll too much is pretty amazing on slicks IMHO.

On the pressures, I always started at 22-24psi and they would get to 30 hot. One session, they got to 32psi mid-session. I monitor it frequently on track and check/adjust right after each session as necessary.

So, how many sessions did you get on your two sets?

Get notified of new replies

To Texas World Speedway: ZR1 track weekend and spin

Quick Reply: Texas World Speedway: ZR1 track weekend and spin