Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TransAm Round 1: Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default TransAm Round 1: Sebring

My first Trans Am race was held at a track I love: Sebring. Lots of history at this venue.

I have moved from the STO ranks to GT1/Trans Am for 2013+ I took delivery of a Tony Ave designed 2012 Corvette three weeks ago. Beautiful car, but one that I have lots to learn about.

I arrived at the track late Thursday evening. I elected to not test on Thursday for a number of reasons. The biggest was that I have a business to attend to, and need to make money more than spend. Plus, with the track being so rough, I wanted to avoid too much wear and tear on the car prior to our 100 mile race. I also felt I could qualify well enough to be close to the fast group of drivers that I would learn from them as the race progressed, plus full-course yellows would bunch us up.

My thinking worked and backfired on me at the same time...

Friday had two practice sessions. The first one was somewhat of a wash-out for me as the motor wasn't running right. It turned out the fuel pressure was high enough to keep the carbs full during sustained high RPM. Well, Sebring is all about long straights, so I struggled to learn much that first session. A very disappointing 2:14 was my best lap (I ran 2:13s in my STO Viper last year...grrrr).

The second session was better, as the motor felt stronger. I still sensed it laying down towards the end of the long straights, but we are moving in the right direction with this issue. The afternoon session had me running 2:09s, so I lopped 4 seconds off my time, but still way off my target of 2:05s.

Saturday is qualifying. A few changes in the car, new tires, and lets see what we have learned. I card a 2:05.8, which puts me in tenth place, of 16 cars. Not bad, as a 1.5 second improvement from that time outs me at the back of the :top car" grouping.

When I get back from the session, a photographer shows me sa picture of the car when it was on-track...the front end is WAY up in the air. Something in the front suspension isn't right. So we (actually the crew) tear into it and find a few things that need adjusted. This was encouraging as the car was pushing pretty badly, and the changes would solve that problem.

Sunday morning warm up confirmed the changes worked; the car felt so much better. I was cautiously optimistic. But something was nagging me about the car. I have not felt comfortable driving it. Shifting the transmission, especially downshifts, was an issue.

The start of the race is really cool. We line up in the False Grid, just like any Club Race I've entered in the past. The they parade us out to the front straight, where we shut our cars off as the announcer introduces each driver. After all 38 names are mentioned, the "Start Your Engines" command is given. What a rush!

The start of the race was uneventful for me. The cars packed up like every group I have ever been in does. Going into Turn 3, I downshift into 2nd gear, and nothing happens. I thought I missed a shift, but no, I did that part right. But the car was not responding to the throttle. Either the transmission or the clutch gave out before I made Turn 4. Like I said above, not doing the Thursday test session helped and hurt me. It hurt because this breakage would have happened before the race, allowing us time to repair. Oh well.

The weekend wasn't a complete washout, however. Some of you know that I am helping out Robby Huffmaster. I acquired a Howe TA2 Camaro that wears the same livery as my Corvette; we are team mates. Robby is a very talented young driver, and one of the nicest kids you will ever meet. He qualified 2nd and finished second in his very first Trans Am race. I'm proud to provide this opportunity for him. He has a real good chance of winning the 2013 TA2 Championship. He will be in the hunt, I am sure of that.

Next race is an SCCA Major at Virginia International, then to a second SCCA race at Summit Point. After that, Mosport and Lime Rock for Rounds 2 and 3 of the 2013 Trans Am season.

These cars are so cool. I should have done this years ago.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice write up Dave, now of course we want some video!

GT1 cars are awesome, but a ton of work.

Are you going to go for the SCCA Runoffs as well?

Congrats on your TA2 effort!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by clubracer6
Nice write up Dave, now of course we want some video!

GT1 cars are awesome, but a ton of work.

Are you going to go for the SCCA Runoffs as well?

Congrats on your TA2 effort!
I have been quoted saying, "Wild horses can't keep me from the 2013 SCCA Run Offs." So, yes, unless a catastrophe happens, I will be there.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Congratulations on your first TA, and thanks for the write up!

Do you plan to run the whole series, if so, I'll have to look you up at The Glen in June. I'll be there crewing on a vintage Corvette, in the SVRA races.

These cars are so cool. I should have done this years ago.
It's been a little over 20 years, since I crewed for a Trans Am team. I still love those cars, and the TA is still my favorite race series!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool David but

Pictures of the new rides .....

Congrats on making the move.
and best of luck for the season
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Excellent qualifying effort in a new ride.

I was there Sunday and was gonna come over and wish you well, but you looked busy and definitely had your "race face" on.

Best of luck this year, we will be following your effort.

Bosco
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

From Hans Solo's pic thread

WOW very very
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

This is the crew before the race on Sunday:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice write up! Once you get up to speed on the trans am car set up the real fun will start. Wicked fast cars.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bosco022
Excellent qualifying effort in a new ride.

I was there Sunday and was gonna come over and wish you well, but you looked busy and definitely had your "race face" on.

Best of luck this year, we will be following your effort.

Bosco
Thank you for the kind words, but my expectations are more than that. After reviewing this past weekend's events, I am convinced I should have been running 2:03s in qualifying.

This may sound obnoxious, and that's not my intent, but I didn't volunteer for this series to run around in the back of the pack. My expectations are to be a consistent Top 5 car. We'll see...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,741 Likes on 939 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Very cool David! I hope to see you run sometime this year! If you need a hand crewing I would be more than happy to help.

Get notified of new replies

To TransAm Round 1: Sebring

Quick Reply: TransAm Round 1: Sebring