Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross Tire question: Hankook V12 or Hoosier Wet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross Tire question: Hankook V12 or Hoosier Wet?

Tomorrow is the first autocross up here in PA and since the event is only 5 minutes from my house I figure I'll head over and have some fun. Question though is whether to run my Hankook V12's or my Hoosier Wet's? The hoosiers are quite a bit wider and in great shape but not sure which tire would give the best grip tomorrow. Temps will probably be in the low to mid 40's.

I'm leaning towards the Hoosiers because I have them on Z06 rims and I'm getting tired of looking at my C5 with the ugly wagon wheels that I painted a nasty burnt orange.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Unless you get some heat into the Hoosiers they won't develop any grip.

If you can run back to back runs and hot lap it, you may have a chance at getting them to work. Tire covers would be absolutely required if you are waiting even 5 minutes between runs.

The wets have more tread and will develop more heat, so they would be better than the normal DoT slicks, but I'm still thinking you won't get enough heat in them to get them to work.

If you do run them, start lower than normal pressure. This makes the tire flex more and will build more heat faster. Also make sure you have at the least a second driver, and use covers to try to keep them warm.

If it were me I'd use the Hankook's, but I don't know if they need heat to work.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hankooks are a bit odd. On my C5 they tend to need some heat to grip well but on my wife's STI they act like a different animal and have grip even below 32 degrees.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 AM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zak77
The hankooks are a bit odd. On my C5 they tend to need some heat to grip well but on my wife's STI they act like a different animal and have grip even below 32 degrees.
AWD grip maybe? apples to oranges if you ask me. I have driven PLENTY of STI's (4 yrs old or so) because I worked at the biggest Subaru dealer in MN. Now I have a C6 with hankook VentusV12s.....

Im sure any AWD car has grip below 32F with the same tires..... that has little to do with the tire itself. Choose a tire that works for your normal operating temperature range. My hankook V12's are at least 2 times as good as the stock F1 goodyear runflats. I just hope I dont get a flat like I did before I replaced them!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross Tire question: Hankook V12 or Hoosier Wet?

Quick Reply: Autocross Tire question: Hankook V12 or Hoosier Wet?