Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5Z exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default C5Z exhaust

Let's say for the sake of discussion I just passed smog (good for 2 yrs) and I wanted to make my exhaust flow better but still be able to put back to stock 2/15 (or for sale).

What are my options? Bolt on? Custom? Do I need 02 "simulators".

Basically a track only setup but I need it to NOT be too loud.

Discuss.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full exhaust from the heads back (including headers) or just axle back?

I'm running LG pro long tubes with no cats with the stock Ti mufflers. Its a great combo of more flow/power, a notable amount more noise, and still not too loud for the track. Its also a fairly light setup with the Ti mufflers. Not super easy to go back to stock as the install is somewhat involved but its absolutely possible.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:57 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettechris996

I'm running LG pro long tubes with no cats with the stock Ti mufflers. Its a great combo of more flow/power, a notable amount more noise, and still not too loud for the track. Its also a fairly light setup with the Ti mufflers. Not super easy to go back to stock as the install is somewhat involved but its absolutely possible.
my 02 with Headers was great however I really think you might not get past the sound nannies
Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

I run B&B shorties with gutted cats and TI exhaust at the track ... Shorties are an easy removal when going back to street trim with manifolds and catted midpipe ... but my shorties have the CARB tag so could leave those on if there is concern passing any state test ... then you would only need to swap the midpipe. (mine are for sale / trade by the way)

Last edited by RaleighSS; 03-10-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:45 PM
CeeFiveZee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't run cat's on the track and have similar concerns about CA Smog. My objectives were not huge power increases, so my solution was taking a stock H pipe and cutting out the cats. This works great, loud enough on the track so I can hear my own car, yet barely louder than stock on the highway (stock Ti rear). Plus no catalytic converter heat on the track. You will need to either program out the post cat O2's or install SIMS. I ended up with another 5 hp to boot.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Like to keep the stock headers just for ease of install so I guess we are talking cats & x pipe.

Probably keep ti exhaust because it's so LIGHT.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
my 02 with Headers was great however I really think you might not get past the sound nannies
I need the sound to be close to stock levels as it's measured several places I go.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

In that case I'd guess going to a catless X pipe would be worth a bit more power (maybe not noticeable though) and definitely less weight. It would definitely make it louder, question is how much and would that work for you. Guess it all depends on the locations/clubs you run with. FWIW I've run my setup with various different clubs, at least one of which measures sound, and never had an issue. The measurement details obviously vary but no ones ever said anything to me. I've watched the car make numerous autoX runs (back to back with stock C5Zs actually) and its louder than stock but very reasonable compared to some cars out there! Just a bit of extra info for ya!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

In that case I'd guess going to a catless X pipe would be worth a bit more power (maybe not noticeable though) and definitely less weight. It would definitely make it louder, question is how much and would that work for you. Guess it all depends on the locations/clubs you run with. FWIW I've run my setup with various different clubs, at least one of which measures sound, and never had an issue. The measurement details obviously vary but no ones ever said anything to me. I've watched the car make numerous autoX runs (back to back with stock C5Zs actually) and its louder than stock but very reasonable compared to some cars out there! Just a bit of extra info for ya!
Where do you autox? I used to live in Westboro. Before I did autox.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

I run at Ft. Devens in Ayer.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Would have been about 25 mi each way for me not bad, how's the lot or airstrip? Is that a closed base?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I need the sound to be close to stock levels as it's measured several places I go.
That is pretty much what I thought mine got quite a bit louder with just Melrose headers and High flow cats. some people have used turndowns over the tips pointed away from the sound test guys.
We don't have anything like that where I run.
just crusing along My wife and I had to shout to hear each other

I have a C6 now with Headers and NPP it's great when closed. When I open it up her ears hurt
Old 03-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Originally Posted by froggy47
Would have been about 25 mi each way for me not bad, how's the lot or airstrip? Is that a closed base?
Its on the old airstrip and they use most of 2 runways. Its still in pretty good shape. Its a pretty nice place for events.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Its on the old airstrip and they use most of 2 runways. Its still in pretty good shape. Its a pretty nice place for events.

Get notified of new replies

To C5Z exhaust

Quick Reply: C5Z exhaust