Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Wilwood Brake Pads

What is the consensus on Wilwood pads on Corvettes?

Specifically the C4 J55 setup, but any info is good.

Are any of the compounds still ok for the street/auto-x but will withstand a track day or two?

Is the compounds corrosive or non-corrosive?

Any other info?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Carbotech, carbotech, carbotech

XP8 front, AX something or other for street/AX/Limited track
Fronts wil squeal a bit on the street.

I personally run xp12/10 combo - track only on my 92
And XP8 on all four corners of y 2012 camaro (DD, Limited track use)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think there is a wilwood pad for street/auto-x use but I could be mistaken. I drive my car to the track and there's nothing wrong with J or H material for just that purpose.

I recommend wilwood H for track (swap them out)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run H on the track and have been happy with them. E on the street
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I started out with the "E" pads and quickly found that they were not agressive enough for track use and wore out quickly. Now use the "H" compound exclusively. The "H" compound works great for a track pad and fine for street use - mine is limited maybe 3-4K a year. The only problem is that they can be noisy and squeek once in awhile.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

When formerly available I'd plug the old Poly D pads for AX use. Great low temp bit and good recovery when overheated a bit. Today there are only a few of these pads left for select Wilwood calipers...I know; I have most of them! lol

The move to Poly E for the street and AX use is a good compromise and today is the only pad other than H for the stock caliper available from Wilwood.(I believe but don't spend a lot of time on the oe product) The E compound is both street able and close to D in how it functions but is capable of a bit more temperature range. Good for a heavier car and longer runs which is why some can keep them under the car for light track use.

However as stated the E compound will not suffice for the true track user. Just not enough bite and too low a temp range to meet the operating range required. Here a move to H is the ideal way to go. That being said H is not really suited for street and AX use either...they are more at home in the higher temp range you'll never see in this use and will be quite aggressive in nature.

Get used to matching your pads for your use. It's part of what it takes to be successful.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Check out Carbotech XP8 compound this compound can be saftley driven on the street and will preform well in auto x and be a good fit for a few track days a year. Carbotech brake pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1350°F+ (93°C to 732°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Excellent as a front brake pad for lighter applications weighing around 2,400lbs or less. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Not sure what is available for your Vette but I used the H compounds on the track, E compounds for autocross and Q compound on the street.

Bill
Old 03-13-2013, 07:09 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.

Trying to see what my options are.

Hawks are out. I don't want corrosive dust.

Carbotech- I'm leaning this way.

Wilwood- Good Alterative.

Yeah, its problay best I just stop being a tight wad and spend the money for the extra "track" set of pads.

I'm pretty sure (at least with the same brand) I can swap pads and stick with the same rotors?

Plus, if I'm swapping pads, I can bleed some fluid as well while I'm at it. We all know that is a good idea.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

If you are gonna swap pads then carbotech for the win.
Use an AX pad for daily and AX use
Swap XP8 on for track days.
Save your pennies as you do more days and swap in XP10/8 then move to the 12/10 combo when you are blasting around on your hoosiers

Actually - just run the XP8 all the time and save the pad swap time. I started a long time ago swaping pads and wheels and it got old real quick. They are not that noisy on the street.

I love the XP8 square on the Camaro - CMP, AMP and AMS its a great little car.
VIR and Road Atlanta I can find the limits of the stock tires and the 118mph speed limiter so I can't keep up I'll find out at the end of the month how it does at Sebring
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

This is true with Carbotech, I'm pretty sure (at least with the same brand) I can swap pads and stick with the same rotors? Give me a call I will be happy to help you 216-780-8825.

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood Brake Pads

Quick Reply: Wilwood Brake Pads