Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droid / iPhone car mounts

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Droid / iPhone car mounts

I use trackmaster on my Droid to capture GPS data. Looking for a mount that lets me do a hard mount in the car, not a suction cup. what are you guys that use trackmaster, Harry's laptimer etc using to mouht your phones?

Interested specifically in sturdy mounts used on track. I did find some threads on general phone mounts but typically found flimsy looking stuff that I don't think would work well or even be allowed on track if being honest and bringing them through tech.

Last edited by RDnomorecobra; 03-14-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:22 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Amazon.com: RAP-B-166-2-PD3U: RAM Universal Windshield Mount for SmartPhone / iPhone 3/3GS/4 / HTC / Samsung / Motorola Android Phone: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: RAP-B-166-2-PD3U: RAM Universal Windshield Mount for SmartPhone / iPhone 3/3GS/4 / HTC / Samsung / Motorola Android Phone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Got this one at Amazon for $35. Works great for iphone. Here is a vid of it in use - just ignore where it placed it.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Really, you haven't come across a club that won't allow suction cups? PDA/NASA didn't used to. Not sure if they changed their minds.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

PDA/NASA didn't complain when I had mine mounted on the windshield with a suction cup. I got a mount from Amazon for my LG Spectrum phone. What ever you do don't put the phone in the center console compartment. It will overheat badly. When I took mine out it was flashing that it was too hot. After that I started taping it to the top of the console instead of under the lid. Finally, the windshield mount.

I do run a wire tie from the mount down to the air vent grille in the dash. Hopefully, that would keep the phone from flying around too much in an incident.

Bill
Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM
txoutlaw55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a RAM Mount. I haven't had mine on a track yet, but I've done a lot of beta testing driving it around on rough roads in my old K5 Blazer. I can't pull it off the windshield without un-doing the clamp on it. I can't wait to try it out at Hallet in May!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I attach my Droid Razr in an Otterbox running trackmaster to the front radio/nav face using double-sided Velcro wrapped around the screen backside. Works great on track using the blue-tooth antenna velcroed to the inside windshield next to the mirror.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 03-14-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The bigger and heavier, the better... the weight will help reduce the vibration and wobble. It matters even more with super lightweight phones like the iPhone 5.

Here's a video that was shot with an iPhone 4 and an Arkon IPM-515 mount (inexpensive and fairly lightweight, so there's some wobble, particularly noticeable in the clouds):

I'd say that's usable, but not ideal (and it reduces the accuracy of the accelerometer readings). I later tried the same mount with an iPhone 5 and it wasn't so good due to the lower weight, so I'll definitely want a mount that has a bit more mass to it and/or is more sturdy in general.

Last edited by Weston; 03-15-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:10 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

RAM is the bomb.

got great reviews...suction cup mount but also usable with other bases...

Amazon.com: RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Holder Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Holder Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount: GPS & Navigation

... like this one which is a screw in mount. not sure I would use in the vette, but would be a solid attached mount instead of suction cup. Would have to find suitable place to attach in the vette, right side of the console maybe? Not sure it would stay put over time just screwed in there.

Amazon.com: RAM Mount Square 2-Inch x 1.7-Inch Base with 1-Inch Ball: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: RAM Mount Square 2-Inch x 1.7-Inch Base with 1-Inch Ball: GPS & Navigation

this outer case for the phone is made custom for each model phone and has a ball attachment for hard mount to the above RAM bases. Once in there and attached to the RAM base the thing does not move.

http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Sli..._p_131543.html

Last edited by RDnomorecobra; 04-07-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston
The bigger and heavier, the better... the weight will help reduce the vibration and wobble. It matters even more with super lightweight phones like the iPhone 5.

Here's a video that was shot with an iPhone 4 and an Arkon IPM-515 mount (inexpensive and fairly lightweight, so there's some wobble, particularly noticeable in the clouds): TrackAddict HD Demo Lap (version 1.8) - YouTube

I'd say that's usable, but not ideal (and it reduces the accuracy of the accelerometer readings). I later tried the same mount with an iPhone 5 and it wasn't so good due to the lower weight, so I'll definitely want a mount that has a bit more mass to it and/or is more sturdy in general.
what app. is that? I like it
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Here is what I use:

Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Epic Touch 4G HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR BIONIC INCREDIBLE 2 CHARGE Google Nexus BlackBerry Torch LG Revolution GPS Compact Size 360 degree Rotatable: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S4 S3 S2 Epic Touch 4G HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR BIONIC INCREDIBLE 2 CHARGE Google Nexus BlackBerry Torch LG Revolution GPS Compact Size 360 degree Rotatable: Cell Phones & Accessories

I run Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone. You can see it mounted almost dead center of my windshield. Sticks on there very solid.

Last edited by MarkDFW; 04-07-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
what app. is that? I like it
Thanks. It's a side project of mine... TrackAddict HD for iOS
Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ha 15min video and 4min in you hit a bug dead center on the camera!!
Nice
Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383
Ha 15min video and 4min in you hit a bug dead center on the camera!!
Nice
Took some skill to pull that off
Old 04-12-2013, 06:57 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a question to those of you using the RAM X-Mount :
Amazon.com: RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder with 1-Inch Ball: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: RAM Mount Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder with 1-Inch Ball: Cell Phones & Accessories

How do you prevent your device from rotating/tilting?

I bought this for use with my iPhone 4S/Harry's Laptimer and although I'm happy with how securely it holds my phone, I noticed that there's a lot of slack in the jaws which lead to the device rotating/tilting while in the mount.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

yea I noticed that. I'm not going to use it. use a custom holder for your phone from slipgripcarmounts.com. Search for your phone model and "RAM". They come with a RAM ball attached for mounting on a RAM arm.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

I sent RAM an email because I read in the Amazon review that there may be a "fix" which may be provided to people who bring up this issue.

I'll let everyone know if that's the case.

Otherwise, I'll get the RAM ball mount for my 4S.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:36 PM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

In case anyone is interested, here is the email I received from RAM regarding the rotating X-mount :

Thanks for writing to us at RAM. Yes, the X-Grip does indeed have some play and can be rotated after the device is inserted. This modification to your X-Grip will essentially make one of the metal arms completely stationary so that it cannot move, even when opening up to insert the device. This will give your X-Grip only half the range of adjustability, but these steps & tests will allow you to configure this modification so that your device will fit in the new range of the X-Grip. A half-inch piece of cardboard will be jammed into the side slots of the X-Grip to keep one set of the side arms from moving. The following test will help determine where those inserts will need to be positioned, and then follow one of the two possible outcomes.

Test
Try inserting your device into the X-Grip by only moving one of the 4 arms (the opposite arm will naturally move as well, but two of the arms should not be moving at all).

If you are able to place your device in the holder by doing this, follow the steps in Outcome A.

If you are not able to do this, and you have to expand all 4 arms in order to secure your device, follow the steps in Outcome B.

Outcome A Steps:
1. Insert one cardboardstrip into the slot closest to the “RAM” Text
2. Insert another strip into the opposite slot; the side with the “Pat.Pend.” Text.

Outcome B Steps:
1. Expand the X-Grip all the way.
2. While expanded, insert one strip into the slot closest to the “X-GRIP” Text.
3. Insert another strip into the opposite slot; the side with the “Patented” Text.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

How about one of these mounted to your harness bar or rollbar?

Get notified of new replies

To Droid / iPhone car mounts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Droid / iPhone car mounts