Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more power

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Default Need more power

Based on new ST2 rules, I can make more power and still be legal. Prsently running Ls1 with Ls1 hot cam, Pac 1218 springs, and LS7 lifters. I need to make about 35 more horsepower to at least stay close to the front runners. Anyone have a recommendation for a cam I should consider? Thanks in advance. Jerry
Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headers? intake? Fast mani? Past that I'm not a power expert, but 30hp seems like a LOT

There are lots of other ways to make that power. Also, what does your car weigh? have you put lexan in, taken out the lights and all that run stuff? There are 100 Ways to make our cars legal.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

My first question would be are you running stock LS1 heads? If so, that's probably your limitation right now.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Jerry,
Look into shedding weight instead of adding horsepower. Horsepower can only be used under throttle. Weight affects the car 100% of the lap.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Jerry, which aftermarket exhaust cross over tube are you running? There are big differences in the power from one to the other.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

headers.....

and I just happen to have some for sale.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:51 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

LS6 heads with a light cleanup will get you there.

FAST Manifold will also get you there but at a $1000+ its not worth it IMO.

243 or 799 heads can be had for $300 if you look around and know where to find them, I would mill them for a bump in compression(and torque) with that cam.

My stock LS6 makes 385 to the wheels.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 03-16-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott is right about losing weight (and he's a lot faster than I am.)

Messing with the motor could also cause you reliability. I squeezed a lot of hp out of the motor in my old camaro, and spent more time working on it than driving it. I think your car with max weight reduction and correct setup should be able to turn a sub 1:30 lap.

Tim
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM
jstout
Drifting

I sure appreciate the suggestions. The car is a race car, and so it has been stripped to some degree, but there is weight that can come out. But even if I lose 100 obs,(which I think might be more than can actually come out of the car without some incredible work), I will still be at 8.37. To get close to the 8,00 level, it seems to me it will take a combination of a diet and horsepower increase. I have to look at who I am competing with also. Mark West (my business partner)drives the GTR. I am faster than him in the corners now, but his car at 500 lbs heavier runs away from me in the straights. I can exit 7 about 3 feet off his bumper, but he just steadily pulls away from me all the way up the straightaway. Even if I passed him in the turns, he would pass me back on the straight and still be ahead of me at start finish. Seems that once you overcome inertia, the weight is not as much of an issue if you have the horsepower. At least that is how it looks to me right now, but I do get the idea that saving weight helps everywhere on track. Again, thanks for the helpful comments, and please keep them coming. Jerry Incidentally, some of the weight in my car are some niceties like fire suppression, cool shirt, and track mate.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Heads. That's where the power is.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:04 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jstout
The car is a race car, and so it has been stripped to some degree, but there is weight that can come out. But even if I lose 100 obs,(which I think might be more than can actually come out of the car without some incredible work), I will still be at 8.37. To get close to the 8,00 level, it seems to me it will take a combination of a diet and horsepower increase.
Just from my quick visual inspectiom, I think you could get 100lbs out of that car without too much work.

Originally Posted by jstout
Mark West (my business partner)drives the GTR.
Don't forget the AWD. That car gets a huge launch off corner exit and I'm sure the car has some creative tuning as well. Yes he is slow in the twisties, but you'll never get away from him without some help from traffic. I know, like and respect Mark, but you'll never see me in ST2 as long as that car is running. I'd really like to see his paperwork sometime. I'm not questioning the car, I'd just like to know details.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I'd really like to see his paperwork sometime. I'm not questioning the car, I'd just like to know details.
That paperwork is available from the ST director. It's public info for the participants.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Generally an NA motor will have a hp curve that is dome shape, at least in the operating rpm we use them. Depending on what gearbox you are using, in the case of our cars, the operating rpm is going to be something like 4800-7000 rpm. Ideally, you want to take the lowest numbers between 4800-7000 rpm (you're going to have a lowish number at 4800 rpm, and a lowish number @ 7000 rpm), then squash the peak "dome" shape so it's flat, and then that gives you the same hp at any operating rpm. Then have the car weighted to that number so that you are at max hp/weight ratio, all the time, and not just for 300 rpm (and leaving power on the table the rest of the rev range to your competitors.)

Last edited by drivinhard; 03-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM
6SPEEDZ
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers add power as well as take weight off. They take weight off the right end too. Also with that cam the engine really needs headers to take advantage of the cam overlap.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:46 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Just from my quick visual inspectiom, I think you could get 100lbs out of that car without too much work.

Don't forget the AWD. That car gets a huge launch off corner exit and I'm sure the car has some creative tuning as well. Yes he is slow in the twisties, but you'll never get away from him without some help from traffic. I know, like and respect Mark, but you'll never see me in ST2 as long as that car is running. I'd really like to see his paperwork sometime. I'm not questioning the car, I'd just like to know details.
Scott, I ran against him last year at CMP. This was of course before the rules changed, but my car was at 3275lbs and I dynoed at 375rwhp and was able to outrun Mark in the GTR for the first 6-7 laps. The only reason he passed me was a slower AI car that blocked me and allowed him to pass me and that I caught traffic worse than he did allowed him to close up on me. Otherwise, I think I could've held him off.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
Scott, I ran against him last year at CMP. This was of course before the rules changed, but my car was at 3275lbs and I dynoed at 375rwhp and was able to outrun Mark in the GTR for the first 6-7 laps. The only reason he passed me was a slower AI car that blocked me and allowed him to pass me and that I caught traffic worse than he did allowed him to close up on me. Otherwise, I think I could've held him off.

You won't do that now. Not only has Mark gotten MUCH more aggressive with his driving, his car is also setup different that when you ran him.

-Kevin
Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 PM
jstout
Drifting

I think one other factor has to do with which track we are on. Road Atlanta favors hp. Even in my present configuration I think I would have been much more competitive to Mark on a different track. Scott, if you don't mind me asking, where would you start on the weight reductions. What is the low hanging fruit so to speak? Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Need more power

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Underdrive pulley? If you don't have one, an ATI balancer too. Lighter flywheel is a good thing to add, if you're in that end of the engine. However, the previous posters were right: Heads. 243 heads are pretty good out of the box, but if you don't have those, get some.

And add lightness. The competition weight of that car is 3118. Get as close to that as you can.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Underdrive pulley? If you don't have one, an ATI balancer too. Lighter flywheel is a good thing to add, if you're in that end of the engine. However, the previous posters were right: Heads. 243 heads are pretty good out of the box, but if you don't have those, get some.

And add lightness. The competition weight of that car is 3118. Get as close to that as you can.

http://store.katechengines.com/ati-s...ts-v-p230.aspx

http://store.katechengines.com/bille...sioner-p2.aspx
Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 AM
383 Z06
Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
LS6 heads with a light cleanup will get you there.

FAST Manifold will also get you there but at a $1000+ its not worth it IMO.

243 or 799 heads can be had for $300 if you look around and know where to find them, I would mill them for a bump in compression(and torque) with that cam.

My stock LS6 makes 385 to the wheels.
with some weight loss, maybe some lighter components that are stock that you could find and aftermarket lighter alternative.

Quick Reply: Need more power