Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hypereutectic pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:33 PM
madcorgi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hypereutectic pistons

After steadily improving my 2007 C6 in the safety, brakes and suspension department (seats/harnesses, Brembos, Pfadt coilovers, etc.), I am now about to venture off into the world of engine modifications.

After years of running Porsches, I am amazed at the power additions that can be done to the LS2 for relatively low prices. I'm looking primarily at a cam and heads swap, with some sort of better intake (FAST or the like). My question is this: what is he margin of safety with the stock hypereutectic pistons? The changes I am looking at promise pretty substantial power gains--100+ hp. Are the stock pistons up to the task?

The car is run at DE events, and I'm an instructor, so in addition to driving my own sessions of 25-30 minutes, I'm frequently giving rides to students. Further, both my kids drive the car, so on any given day, the car may run between 8 and 12 sessions, all without much of a break in between. Other than endurance racing, this is about the most severe beating I can imagine putting on a car.

If money were no object, I'd build up a bullet proof bottom end with forged pistons and Carillo rods, but, alas, money is a object.

So--can the stock pistons take this much abuse?
thanks

Terry
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

If everything is kept cool, no need to worry.

Quick Reply: hypereutectic pistons