Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo Car Class Question (C6)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:09 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SCCA Solo Car Class Question (C6)

Hello,

A couple questions for you guys that Autocross your C6:

Last season I was running in Super Stock (SS) as my only mods at the time were some slightly wider tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport's) on stock wheels. However over this past winter I've added some mods (SS Brake Lines, Cold Air Intake...) which I think will bump me into Street Prepared my question is how do I know if I'm in SSP or ASP, when looking through the SCCA Solo Rule Book (http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...lo%20Rules.pdf) ASP Section (Page Page 188) Corvettes aren't listed yet when I look at the Past Solo Champions Section (Page 296) I see Corvettes. So can I be SSP or ASP? Which is better?

Also for those of you that read the new article in Solo Matters ( http://www.solomatters.com/2013/03/s...sal-explained/ ) about the Stock category phasing out R-Comp tires over the next tires does anyone know if that will also apply to the Street Prepared class, as currently Street Prepared I beleive has the same rules for tires as Stock.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

SSP is a (relatively) new class, and that is where you run. Corvettes aren't listed in ASP anymore, so you don't have a choice.

As far as I know the rules that are being floated won't effect the SP classes, so they will stay with R comps.

With your level of mods you will get hammered in the SP classes. If you want to be competitive in SSP you need huge (T1 or bigger) sway bars, stiffer springs, wider wheels and tires, headers, a CAI, a bigger throttle body, a set of Moton or Penske shocks... and that's just the obvious stuff.. Better to put it back to stock and run there.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
SSP is a (relatively) new class, and that is where you run. Corvettes aren't listed in ASP anymore, so you don't have a choice.

As far as I know the rules that are being floated won't effect the SP classes, so they will stay with R comps.

With your level of mods you will get hammered in the SP classes. If you want to be competitive in SSP you need huge (T1 or bigger) sway bars, stiffer springs, wider wheels and tires, headers, a CAI, a bigger throttle body, a set of Moton or Penske shocks... and that's just the obvious stuff.. Better to put it back to stock and run there.

but it depends on the region, I have a VERY under prepared SSP car and I'm lucky if I have one or two guys (also under prepared) to race each month.

National events YMMV.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by Solofast

Thank you for the clarification, SSP it is I guess

In the article I linked there are talks of a Limited Preperation and a Street Prepared, I was under the impression that there will basically be two Steet Prepared classes one for cars with R-Comps one without, but that article wasn't very clear on that:

The SEB does recognize that not everyone will be excited or even willing to give up the thrills that only R-Comp grip can produce. In an effort to give those participants a place to play, the Board is proposing a limited preparation ruleset for Street Prepared classes. This ruleset would allow vehicles prepared to the limit of the new proposal to compete in an appropriate Street Prepared class on R-Compounds. The limited preparation cars would run in a slower class than their SP classing. The SEB’s goal would be to place cars where they are competitive but do not become the car to have for the class.

In the next year I'm definitely getting a set of headers and a Johnny O'Connel/PFADT Stage I Suspension Package (sways + shocks), and I already have the CAI. You really think a bigger TB will be nescessary? Wider wheels and tires? I'm already running 285F and 345R how can I possibly go wider? Or do you mean make the jump to Hoosier A6's? Or a square setup?

How bad is PAX between SS and SSP?

Originally Posted by froggy47

but it depends on the region, I have a VERY under prepared SSP car and I'm lucky if I have one or two guys (also under prepared) to race each month.

National events YMMV.

Agreed. Where I compete (Southern Alberta) there aren't many SS or SSP or cars so I'm ok in that sense. For the next 2-3 years it's more about having fun and setting good raw times than anything else.

YMMV?

Last edited by 94boosted; 03-21-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM
ltborg
Drifting

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

I've seen people run 315 fronts and that would be legal for an SSP car, 345 is probably about the widest you can buy for the back.

SS Pax - 0.859
SSP Pax - 0.871
Old 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by ltborg
YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

I've seen people run 315 fronts and that would be legal for an SSP car, 345 is probably about the widest you can buy for the back.

SS Pax - 0.859
SSP Pax - 0.871
Thanks a lot.

I take it R-Comps are a must then to be competitive in SSP? What's the lowest cost setup for R-Comps wheel & tire size?

Pax between the two doesn't seem to huge what would the SSM Pax be for refference?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM
autoxer6
Racer

If you want to be competitive in SCCA, take off your new performance parts and go back to super stock. Seriously! If you want to be competitive in SSP, then round up about $10K and dont plan on using the car for much more than autocross. Reliability will go down too. So you will want to trailer it.

Think long and hard about your choice:
1. Be competitive and low cost in SS.
2. Have fun modding your car with the parts you want, but you wont be competitive in SSP.
3. Spend $10K, build (or better yet buy) a great SSP car. Have a TON of FUN with that car, but be prepared for drive train failures, and continuous money spend.

There isn't much middle ground between these choises. If you choose option two or three, 18" wheels in front, and 17" wheels in back is a nice set up. You get more side wall in the rear so that you get more forward bite on throttle. The 18" up front makes the car more responsive.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:52 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by autoxer6
If you want to be competitive in SCCA, take off your new performance parts and go back to super stock. Seriously! If you want to be competitive in SSP, then round up about $10K and dont plan on using the car for much more than autocross. Reliability will go down too. So you will want to trailer it.

Think long and hard about your choice:
1. Be competitive and low cost in SS.
2. Have fun modding your car with the parts you want, but you wont be competitive in SSP.
3. Spend $10K, build (or better yet buy) a great SSP car. Have a TON of FUN with that car, but be prepared for drive train failures, and continuous money spend.

There isn't much middle ground between these choises. If you choose option two or three, 18" wheels in front, and 17" wheels in back is a nice set up. You get more side wall in the rear so that you get more forward bite on throttle. The 18" up front makes the car more responsive.
Thank you for the words of wisdom that's some good advice, I appreciate it. I think option 2 is the one for me and then eventually in a few years perhaps transition to option 3.

For the 18" Front and 17" Rear setup what wheel widths would you recommend front & rear? What about tire sizes?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:36 PM
autoxer6
Racer

I'm not sure which size wheels & tires people were using for the 18" 17" set up. Search for Alex Tzortis or Danny Popps set up tips. Also search for old ASP setup threads.

315 front and 335 rear is what my fuzzy memory recalls for tire size.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
94boosted
Racer

I'm not sure which size wheels & tires people were using for the 18" 17" set up. Search for Alex Tzortis or Danny Popps set up tips. Also search for old ASP setup threads.

I'll check those out thanks.

Tom
Old 03-25-2013, 03:32 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Joe Tharpe has 335/17's on f/r IIRC.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:40 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by talon95
I think Joe Tharpe has 335/17's on f/r IIRC.
17's will clear the Z06/GS front brakes? 335 in the front that seems like it would definitely rub.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

the c6 has much more fender clearance than the C5. I think Mike Johnson runs 18x12s on front, 18 x 12 or 13"s on back of his C6 Z06. He runs 335s on front, 345s on back, and Joe Tharpe runs 335s all round (in 17 inch variants). 17s should clear base C6 brakes but not GS/Z06
Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by alextz
the c6 has much more fender clearance than the C5. I think Mike Johnson runs 18x12s on front, 18 x 12 or 13"s on back of his C6 Z06. He runs 335s on front, 345s on back, and Joe Tharpe runs 335s all round (in 17 inch variants). 17s should clear base C6 brakes but not GS/Z06
What sidewall aspect ratio?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

These are for the hoosier a6 tires which only come in one aspect size for those widths, i think its an overall diameter of areound 25.6"
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Its always better to post in an existing thread than to start a new one......so, here goes
I plan on setting up a C6 Z06 for SSP. I have some of the important stuff from my previous setup but i need more info on the rear spoiler and splitter allowances.
Can I add a ZR1/Z07 splitter to an 09'+ Z06?

15. Street Prepared 2014 SCCA® National Solo® Rule — 93 "Splitters may not protrude beyond the bumper"

Im guessing this means the answer is no...

C. Equipment and/or specifications may be exchanged between different
years and models of a vehicle if:
(a) the item is standard on the year/model from which it was taken,
and
(b) the years/models are listed on the same line of Appendix A, Street
Prepared Classes

Im also guessing this means yes because appendix A just lists (2005-2011) C6 chassis
So which is it?

Where do I get info on the rear spoilers? They seem to be home made. Are they braced under the bodywork to keep from eventually ripping off?
Aero is like the forbidden black art
Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by 383; 08-10-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Drifting

Nothing?
A stock ZR1 goes to SSP correct? then why not use the ZR1 ground effects on a Z06 in SSP?

Last edited by 383; 08-12-2014 at 09:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo Car Class Question (C6)

Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Drifting

Should I start a new thread?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM
94boosted
Racer

I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to run a ZR1 or Z06 w/ Z07Pkg aero (splitter, spoiler and side skirts) though I don't know how much benefit you're going to gain from the little ZR1 splitter/spoiler at autocross speeds.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 AM
94boosted
Racer

The C6 Z06 in the picture you posted is running in ASP?!?!?

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo Car Class Question (C6)